It should be pretty obvious at this point that Slim excells at healing when facing a Behemoth or even Goliath but lacks it against Wraith, Gorgon and a Kraken flying high in the air.
This is due to the spread of his shotgun; the less pellets hit, the less healing he can do. Of course, to counteract this you can pace your shots, but by how much? After testing it with my programmable keyboard it turns out that instead of every 286 ms (full auto 210 rounds per minute) you need to slow down to 500 ms or more to get really accurate. Anything inbetween is just as inaccurate as 210 RPM.
(Btw, the green circle around the reticule represents that spread pretty decently)
##Spread at 30 meters shooting fully automatic every 286 ms (210 RPM)
##Spread at 30 meters shooting every 500 ms (120 RPM)
##Spread at 30 meters shooting every 522 ms (115 RPM)
From a pure damage perspective this is fair: The bigger target has more health and should recieve more damage, the smaller target has less health and recieve less damage, not to mention some weapons deal the same damage against every size.
- 210 RPM
- 448 damage per 2.286 seconds = 195.976 DPS (100%)
- 448 damage per 2.286 seconds unload and 1.660 seconds reload = 113.533 DPS (100%)
- 115 RPM
- 448 damage per 4.174 seconds = 107.331 DPS (54.8%)
- 448 damage per 4.174 seconds unload and 1.660 seconds reload = 76.791 DPS (67.6%)
So far so good. But the problem lies in his healing. Where Val’s, Rogue Val’s, Lazarus’, Caira’s and Emet’s ability to keep the team alive does not depend on the size and movement of the Monster, Slim’s healing does.
- 210 RPM
- 3 * 208 health per 2.286 seconds unload and 1.660 seconds reload + 0.17 delay for maximum efficency = 3 * 208 health / 4.116 seconds = 151.603 HPS (100%)
- 115 RPM
- 3 * 208 health per 4.174 seconds unload and 1.660 seconds reload = 3 * 208 health / 5.834 seconds = 106.959 HPS (70.6%)
This of course does not account for inaccurate aim, but it clearly shows a huge gap between shooting at a big target vs shooting at a small one.
The minimal change that may even be enough already would be:
- Maximum firerate decreased to 120 RPM (from 210)
- Damage per pellet increased to 10 (from 7)
A nice side effect from a slower maximum fire rate would be, that tumbles (which render him unable to shoot for a while), would affect his healing less.