Why Isn't Adult Swim Sued Yet?

I’m kinda confused look at my face :confused: I don’t get it, your telling me they are allowed to use some many characters? Hasn’t that triggered Copyright yet?! Just to name a few off the top of my head:

1. Garfield
  2. Multiple Disney cartoons including: Little Mermaid, and Micky Mouse
  3. Nintendo Super Mario
  4. Celebrities, really Adult Swim…
    I’m not going to name all of them, they have so many darn shows are there. And Celebrities, that’s messing with somebody’s life, explain that one?!
    Seriously, Nintendo hasn’t sued them yet, come on. Please someone in this forums explain this for me please, and I just want an answer. If I’m wrong, please explain. And tell me what you think about this in the Comments below.

I imagine their use of them falls under the ‘fair use’ part of copyright law, since they’re used in parody/satire

OH, well if it’s their characters, can’t they take them down if they wanted to? Just curious.

As long as the use falls within the ‘fair use’ part of the copyright law they can’t use the legal system to take it down, and I imagine adult swims lawyers put a lot of work into making sure that is the case.

Mmm, I see. I going to look up Copy Right Laws for the sake of this…question, I guess.

You didn’t need to post this. We’re pretty mature here. ^^;;

Sorry, it’s just because of the recent thing that happened in my last topic, but I’ll remove it I guess.

You couldn’t have asked a better question than this at the time you did.
There is a lot of motion going on in the subject at matter.
This twitter tag #WTFU - running now through YouTube/Google and it’s content creators.
Where’s The Fair Use is a question that people with smaller/medium or even large fanbase ask when it comes to them using certain copyrighted materials in their work.

Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws to the authors of “original works of authorship” for its use and distribution.

Fair use is a legal doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. It is one type of limitation and exception to the exclusive rights copyright law grants to the author of a creative work.

Now you could ask, what does this have to do with anything. Well, it’s very simple. Adult Swim is using this Fair Use law, to exempt themselves from any lawsuit from Disney. Now, one note to point. Disney has EVERY RIGHT to sue anybody who uses Mickey Mouse logo, portrait or anything that they hold the rights to. Knowing this, why is it, that they don’t do it? It’s very simple. 99% of the time, usage of their material falls under EXEMPLARY LAW called Fair Use. And big enough companies - Adult Swim belongs to Time Warner and has enough money to prove it in the Court of Law. So in reality, it’s all about the money.

The case with youtube is a bit more complicated than that.
You don’t have to watch the whole video, the link starts at 15:29 and you don’t have to watch it past 18th-minute mark.

For more Youtube related issues - watch this video.

So… now you know.

[TLDR]
Disney doesn’t sue Adult Swim because it would lose the case against them. It would lose them money and that’s what they hate the most. Losing Money.

tl;dr The Supreme Court has unequivocally held that a parody may qualify as fair use under § 107.

You f forgot to put “/s” lol.

You used DSP as an example. :joy:

Wow, thanks! But what about celebrities, actual people. I don’t think copyright can be linked to a person. Unless they own something of course.
How does that work?

because they’re adult swim

ADULT SWIM DOES WHAT THEY WANT DAMMIT

@Buckets_Sentry_Gun Can you close this thread for me?

Closed as requested by op. :slightly_smiling: