Who here thinks Evolve is prone to Chaos Theory?

In short, Chaos Theory states that due to the complex nature of things (life, for example), behaviors are highly sensitive to the smallest of changes, and as such, can ultimately result in large differences in reality.

This would hold true in warfare.

I’m not sure if you know or not, but I’m a big fan of strategy, and my boy Sun Tzu’s knowledge has proven to be the pinnacle of truth in every single warfare simulation I played, including Evolve. Why do I bring up Chaos Theory? Because I’ve seen a lot of people worried about min/maxing this game, trying to come up with tactics or Hunter groups that will be the “best in all circumstances”. Chaos Theory disproves this. Because even if on paper, statistically, things look great, when we as people go to execute that plan, make small changes to vary the outcome (greatly) as we adapt to deal with the situation as it unfolds.

This is why the saying goes, “The best laid plans of mice (Hunters) and men (Monsters) often go astray”. Would you agree, or do you feel you can beat a mathematical impossibility?

I try not to go in with a set gameplan…I’m more of a react-on-my-feet kind of player. If you plan something too hard and focus on that, you will be more likely to stick to a plan turned sour by the environment at hand, or an unforeseen difference in the play strategy of your opponent.

That said, every scenario has a goal, and I normally jump into a battle with a certain idea of what I am going to do to reach it, or what we as a team are going to do…but all that can be tossed away in an instant. It’s not always how to go about getting that win, but just getting the win by good play and quick-thinking decisions based on moment-to-moment actions.

I think you might be underestimating the psychological impact plans and leadership have on groups of people. It may be true that no plan every exactly as it was envisioned. But the whole act of planning and cooperating makes people feel better about the situation ahead.

As Eisenhower said “In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.”

Half true. You know certain variables in this don’t change, so if you base the tactical conclusions there, you keep some of the plan in play.

Also @egp_mass here has a great point.

@egp_mass
I can see the value in planning. And I can see the value in practice. One leads the other. In practice, we condition ourselves to the rigors we may endure, so that we are not as shocked systematically when we encounter them. Planning gives us a grounding, a sense of knowing what our objectives are and how we are going to go about getting there. There is psychological comfort in that; and that, like practice, provides a sense of resolve.

@LaggerCZE
Even if there are constants in your planning, set, finite information, as long as there is 1 variable, than the outcome is susceptible to Chaos Theory’s principles; the result can change drastically.

I think that the best Monsters will be the ones who analyze his 4 opponents furing that first loading screen and make a general plan and then adapt to what the enemy is doing. For instance, my overall moving around strategy is dictated by their trapper. My combat strategy tends to revolve around their support/medic. My get a way plans revolve around their support/trapper. Things like that.

Minimizing the effects of chaos as best as possible. That’s always a good plan. And it just takes trial and error until we gain enough experience on what works best for us. I find it to be akin to the person who gets killed in battle, and upon respawning, they perform the same tactic as before, and suffer the same fate. There can sometimes be a type of gamer who does not analyze the ebb and flow of battle, and does not adapt to overcome. We call these people: Canon fodder. :slight_smile:

I call them Dead Meat 2 Meats :smiley:

When I’m monster, I’ll call Hunters and small wildlife “Friends”, cause they’re “Nice 2-meat-chas”.

:smiley:

AHHH!!

Put that thing away, dammit!

I’m mortally afraid of all of Jim Henson’s abominations… Especially, he whose eyes have nary a soul, whose hair is a tuft of wild, untamed fire, and whose mouth flaps in an unintelligible mind-shattering utterance…

Oh God, I think I just opened the box…

I think we’re all just getting cabin fever waiting for Evolve and/or 3rd monster reveal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHNJPsCDSqo

That’s it.

I quit.

Cancels his forum account and takes his leave

So you’re scared to death of me?
First small children and now @AegisKleais

True, but the statistical chance of the outcome’s change can be quite high, but the statistical chance of the outcome’s drastical change doesn’t necessarily have to. The more detailed and complex the plan is, the more eager it is to fail.

Of course, the chaos theory takes into account that the device you’re playing on can crash. Well, the statistics leave a lot of space for a glitch, but a crash is less eager to happen. Thus, you shouldn’t be taking it into account as a almost given fact.

The combat adapts. Your getaway plan changes on the run. Hell, your preferred target changes on the run. But the fact you want to surprise the Hunters stays, meaning a constant. The fact you still need to kick out Laz to be able to do any finite damage is a constant.

Variables adapt, constants stay. My point should be clear now.

Gene, from Bob’s Burgers put it succinctly when he said

“Life is Chaos, Tina! Anything can happen for any reason!”

True. My statistical point stays.

Numbers are cool.

Yup. Everyone is theory-crafting (myself included, theory crafting is fun!) but we should always keep in mind that our theories are fundamentally flawed in that the perfect scenarios we setup in our heads will often never happen or happen how we think they will when we actually play the game.

For what it is worth, I calculated the number of possible scenarios in Hunt mode in my “fun with numbers” thread. Without the infinite possible actions that anyone can make simply by free will, there are 137,749,507,200 possible scenarios that can be directly controlled. Needless to say, each of these can play out in an uncountable number of ways based on untraceable decision making.

Chaos theory is definitely something to consider, but considering all possibilities is not an option. A clear mind can perceive a situation and react to it. It is a mind set I like to call “A Spinning Leaf” after reading “The Wise Man’s Fear”. Basically, go in with no expectation and reflect the chaos before you with calmness, and you can do the best you are able to.

In short:

That is the creepiest leaf I’ve ever seen. Purge it with FIre!