What is this "though" at the end of many sentences in the english language?

I am german, english is not my native language. Probably sorry for this stupid question.

I read often here in the forum the word “though” at the end of sentences. At the moment I just ignore the word and it works actually well. But I am really interested to know what this words means and when I could use it.

So I went to google translator and other dictionaries. The result was disappointing the translation not fits in any context of the sentences.

Then I went to Urban-Dictionary: http://de.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=though

To add more unecessary words to a sentence…though is not really used for much when coming at the end of an already complete sentence.
What up though?
When you coming over though?
His fit was clean though.

Ok the word is not needed that is the reason why I just can ignore it and it work nevertheless but it must have a reason why you guys add this word to the end of your sentences.

Here my thoughts what it could mean:
Example: Whats up though?

• Whats up, bro?
  • Whats up, man?

I am really confused about this word and nobody can tell me for what is this word used. Maybe you guys can teach me :smiley:

We use it to sort of convey a seriousness to the preceeding statement or question. Like… “Though” on the end of the sentence indicates we’re really not messing about or that we really want an answer. :stuck_out_tongue:

“When are we going for drinks?” = friendly quesiton
“When are we going for drinks though?” = Maybe passive agressive statement on the fact that we’re not actually going for drinks yet, or perhaps we’re trying to change the subject to the issue of going for drinks because that’s what we want to really talk about.

Of course this is all then confused by the use of “though” in an almost “kappa” sense, turning the question from legitimate to “Hurr hurr, I’m being super sarcastic and I don’t want you to miss this sarcasm” kind of stuff.

Basically… it serves no literal purpose (in the context you seem to be asking about!), it is cultural and almost dialectic.

4 Likes

THOUGH

conjunction
despite the fact that; although.
“though they were speaking in undertones, Percival could hear them”
adverb
however (indicating that a factor qualifies or imposes restrictions on what was said previously).
“I was hunting for work. Jobs were scarce though”
synonyms: nevertheless, nonetheless, even so, however, be that as it may, for all that, in spite of that/everything, despite that/everything, after everything, having said that, just the same, all the same, at the same time, in any event, come what may, at any rate, notwithstanding, regardless, anyway, anyhow; More

This was just copied from google after typing in the word “though”. It explains it better than I could myself though. (<- intentional :slight_smile: )

Depends on the context, like a lot of words in english, its got a few meanings.

Ending a sentence with it, GENERALLY itll mean something like “however”, or “in spite of” or “anyways”, etc.

“Man that behemoth got his butt kicked!”
“He tried hard though!”

But it can have a few other meanings, again, depending on the context.

1 Like

wooooah, people bringing the real grammar all up in this topic though!

Agreed. I hope OP gets it though.

1 Like

For me it still feels a bit strange or random when its been added at the end but I think I got it (though) :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Basically it means “however” (german: jedoch/aber).

You can transform a “though” sentence in a “however” sentence just by removing the “though” at the end and adding a “however” at the beginning.

though: “I was hunting for work. Jobs were scarce though.”
however: “I was hunting for work. However, jobs were scarce.”
german: “Ich suchte Arbeit. Aber Jobs waren knapp.”

1 Like

That’s exactly how you use it. XD

He’s got it people! We’ve done our job! :smile:

I like this thread… ^^

Should be more of that kind though.

It’s like how German throws “noch” around.

I speak both German and English.

I’m using it as a filler word, though.

Seriously, though. (joke not intended).
Most Norwegians end their sentences with “da”, which is the Norwegian equaliant of “though”.

closed #14

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.