We are the Balance Bros @ Turtle Rock Studios -- AMA

How does the TRS balance team meta differ from pubs/competitive?

@Insane_521

Did you intend Battle Cabot to allow “Orbital Concealment” and “Solar Blast” to go through ceilings?

How are Aftershock and Banshee Mines being reworked for Kraken? I remember on a livestream that @Insane_521 mentioned that Aftershock would fit into the ranged caster playstyle of Kraken. Would it be a utility ability that increases damage? Or more like Chain Lightening?

What about Banshee Mines? Will they be deployables still?

1 Like

I sound like a broken record but… When can we expect Hyde’s adaptation to come around ;_;?

I played Battle Cabot a bit to get a feel for his kit. I feel that A: He obviously deals too little damage and B: that it sucks to have to click for every shot when he has such a high fire rate.

Are there any plans to allow battle cabot to click and hold to fire his primary shots?

Are you purposefully releasing characters significantly to be significantly and obviously underpowered so you can get a feel for how much they need to be buffed to be balanced characters?

How open would you feel about modifying the base numbers of any character such as health, movement speed or jetpack capacity/recharge? You would have more options/methods of creating unique characters if base numbers were up for modification.

I am currently disappointed with assault diversity. Do you have plans to make sure that future assaults are more distinct from past assaults? Do you have any plans to give an assault a different class ability than the assault shield? (I am excluding R Abe’s less defense matrix as something that counts in this regard due to its glaring similarities)

I gotcha seeds:

1 Like

I just have questions about hunters.

1. Emet: The biggest lackluster. His healing is really weak and situational. Bob literally nullifies him. What are your plans for him? Increasing Healing Buoys’ health, their range, HPS, HB, or even exploding with HB after their destruction? What about Distraction Beacon? Will you rework it into speeding up respawn timer so it it can be effective under all circumstances? Or will you allow it to be planted at any time and remotely/automatically activated after hunters’ dead?
  2. Laz: SB gives away his position. When you will remove it? Can you increase incap heal so that monster will have harder time killing hunter? Currently it’s way too easy.
  3. Quaira: Can you increase fields’ HPS, size or duration? Can damage grenades stick to monster?
  4. Caira: Can you make her great again? Currently there is no reason to pick her over PaPa, other than she is attractive as hell. :slight_smile: Lowering cooldown on AF would be a great start to improve her reliability.
  5. Jack: Repulsor is very unreliable. Can you make it so it doesn’t interrupt, but rather cancel traversal (this would change the fact that Gorgon will stop mid-air and then continue in traversal as if nothing happened). It’s also nearly useless against Kraken. Can you change it so that player doesn’t have to be on nearly same height level as Kraken? Because if he has to put Repulsor really high to make it work against him, you have blocked vision and can’t see what’s happening in front of you. It would also help if Repulsor could bring Kraken down way faster than now.
  6. Harpoons: Can they bring down Kraken faster down? Currently it takes way too long and monster can just destroy them before they can make any difference.
  7. Personal question: Do you hate me? :frowning:

The Dev have been through this before,to make the game more appealing for new player,this game’s size have to be shrink down and these video (in fact,very well made) cost a lost of data.These have been debate whether you can download it or external link,but it’s had been turned down

Managed to sneak a moment at work. What’s the word on the console release, we haven’t heard anything on that (other than rumours) in nearly three months

1 Like

How do you feel about the quality of the current Glicko matchmaking system especially for non-premades?
Are you working on improvements?

1 Like

Can we talk about aim assist on console? If so, do you feel that it would be a good addition to the game again, maybe not nearly as strong, to help out players using a controller?

1 Like

Cataclysm with ReneAbe and Mad Mags

Better than what it was before, but still needs adjustments. We need to hone in the spawn locations and maybe adjust how many buffs spawn each round. We may try having duplicates spawn.

We only balance when the 5 of us are free, which can be a little tricky at times. (LD does all the script setup for everything, Guidance pretty much does a little of everything, Kaisertim makes content release videos, Insane does a ton of community stuff and I have to manage the expectations of each team). We’ll usually start out balancing something for fun, if it’s a new character for example, we’ll play for awhile, everybody rotating on it, this is just for feels and we don’t care if we make any fine tuning process. We then usually try and incorporate the character into whatever current meta we’ve seen, get some hardcore no fuck around games in. This usually leaves Guidance super salty, so we’ll take a break. We’ll repeat that until we’ve run out of time or we think it’s ready to go out.

We also know that with our small team, we won’t be able to figure out all the meta angles and that within an hour of release, there will be 10x the amount of games play than our entire development. So we are usually on the forums, in streams and playing with the community post launch to try and figure out adjustments. We enjoy reading feedback and discussing issues with players. It shows that they are passionate about the project(like we are) and that they want it to improve.

2 Likes

I believe you accidentally double posted.

Any plans to make completely new characters? specifically interested in a new monster, like something with fur.

Alright, 4am, let’s go.

My current list of questions:

Balance:

1. How can we get detailed numbers on each character? For theorycrafting purposes, and also the wiki. Can we have a thread where y’all will pick up number requests and find them?
  2. What’s the plan for characters that are too hard countered by another? (Ex. Meaty and his weak single-targeting rekt by Slim, Bucket/Emet deployables dying to Kelder, Torvald only good against Bob, Kraken laughing at Maggie traps, Jack repulsor too good against melee/too weak against ranged, Sunny whooping Goliath/stomped by Kraken, etc. etc…)
  3. Will there be compensation for Gabe, now that his main advantage, stopping armor regen, is completely invalidated?
  4. Any views on Slim/PaPa + Hank/Sunny teams being able to facetank everything at stage 3? (Dodging key abilities of course)
  5. Dome timer paused by monsters attacking: I heard you will be removing dots’ ability to pause the timer. That true? Also, maybe try out a timer slow instead of a timer pause?
  6. Agility perks. They make you cross the map faster than going all racecar perks. Intended? They are also equivalent to +50% jetpack recharge, in addition to storing 6 boosts. Also intended?
  7. Heavy hitter perks. They give you a net decrease in DPS, and the gold perk is worse than the silver perk. Intended?
  8. Are you going to do anything about Abe’s stasis nades being too good against the Goliaths and relatively poor against the other monsters?
  9. Upcoming perks: spoilers please? They’re ready or in balance testing, after all, so there shouldn’t be changes to what they do.

I’ve also compiled many of the things I’ve suggested, in my suggestion threads or responses to others’. (Gaaasp!) But seriously, just give thoughts on whatever you can. I’ll put them in boxes to be neat.

Customisable crosshairs

Simply put, I think some crosshairs are too tiny and easily lost in visual clutter. Could we have an option to customise it for each weapon, like assembling it from “parts”?

Greener trapper name colour

It’s too close to the Support yellow. If you can’t view them in the same screen, it’s hard to judge which one it is in the heat of battle. A greener colour, or a huge icon above the name?

Renegabe thematics

Why does a corrosive (erodes surfaces) reduce damage output, and a nerve toxin (impairs muscle control) increase damage taken? It makes more sense to swap the names. “Nerve Gas Grenade” and “Corrosive Injector Dart”?

Two monster choices per challenge

For monster players, having to pick that ONE particular character is a pretty bad limitation, and has led to me playing mostly hunter despite actually liking monster more.

Status bar

Something on the UI to see any temporary effects and their durations?

Seeing enemy characters before picking perks

This helps with some element of countering, without allowing hard counter character picks. Also stops people from picking perks too useless against the enemy characters, like monster DR against a defensive team.

Character-specific default perks for new players

Hard to explain in brief. Allow a player to pick TRS-recommended perks for his character at rank 1, even if they are not yet unlocked. Helps with new player tutorialisation, and allows them to have more “fun” by delaying perk purchases to buy their favourite character first. See link: full description

Replacing DR and DR+Regen with Health up and Armor up

Long story short, they are too similar right now, and also they gain asymptotically higher value from being stacked. Switching their mechanics will encourage picking one or two instead of three and make their gameplay distinct from each other. Full description and sample numbers

Voluntary handicaps for dynamic in-match rebalancing

In short, have the monster choose to take a handicap (while he’s evolving and chilling) or ask for one, in return for extra keys to the side that took the handicap, if they still won. Helps make games closer, and thus more exciting and satisfying. Full description and sample numbers

3-Key toggle for Daisy behaviour

Switches between:

• tracking mode
  • revive mode
  • follow Maggie (passive mode)
  • “Burn, you fuck!” (Waggie only)

And finally, (off-topic) are you accepting interns or attachments? I’d like to gain some experience before I get too busy and working with y’all sounds interesting.

1 Like

You can put the class icons above characters under Options :slight_smile:

OK,one more question,can you read member suggestion legally,i think some people idea are very creative and reading can help you guy think in another box

1 Like

The thing doesn’t work when you’re monster, I think. And even as hunter it weirdly strobes on and off.

Question about a fire cancel for Meteor/OG Goliath.

I was wondering if a fire breath cancel could be added. Its something especially for meteor can really screw you up when a hunter is being revived and your stood there like a melon unable to prevent it if your long ass fire breath is active. Even being able to melee while doing so could help this. Genuinely help with feeding quicker as well.

I think I ran this past @GentlemanSquirl early Stage2 release and I think he agreed?

4 Likes

I think that might be a bit much dude. It’s a little unfair to other people trying to ask questions, to post a wall of them all at once xD
Don’t be surprised if you don’t get all of them answered, I imagine they want to bust out as many for as many folks as they can while they can.

2 Likes