Viability of Val in high level play

With the recent ESL slim ban, my team has had to switch characters. The one they were most adamant about was Val. I argued strongly against that, saying that Val doesn’t have the self-preservation ability to work well against a good monster unless we also ran with sunny and Griffin as well. They argued that the heal burst, hank shields, and kiting would be enough to keep her alive, and I feel that this just not the case. They’ve only beaten me once with Val and one of those times they had sunny and the other they had sunny and Griffin. They also lost the only other serious game they played with Val, but this was still not enough to convince them. So I just want everyone’s opinion on Val’s viability against good monsters and hopefully someone who knows how to make a poll will do so.

-Val is a good medic for high level games
-Val is a good medic for high level games, but only with sunny and Griffin
-Val is a bad medic for high level play

• Val is a good medic for high level games

• Val is a good medic for high level games, but only with sunny and Griffin

• Val is a bad medic for high level play

0 voters

For the record, it’s:
[ poll]
-(space) Option one
-(space) Option two
-(space) And so on
[ /poll]

1 Like

Val’s got the least self-preservation of any medic. Caira heals herself directly, Slim gets all the healing bursts, and Laz has the invisibility. Her big strength is in her tranq. She’s great on a stage 1 chase-and-chip squad, but past that, she just can’t survive unless she’s the best ability dodger in the world.

2 Likes

Val is good with Hank, nevermind too much of Sunny. Combine Hank and Val together and they make a good comp. But yes, the trick with Val are the tranqs.

Yepp. She need others to protect herself and that is what hurts her, because of the other hunters not only don’t need to protect the other medics, but they can combo with their already existing self defense tools for an even greater effect.
Her healing is decent enough.

1 Like

Can’t dodge abilities forever, bound to run out of jetpack. And with the use of aftershock nearly every game, it’s not likely she’s ever going to survive alone. She needs Hank/Sunny to be viable against a good monster imo.

2 Likes

Slim got banned today, all we saw last week was Slim, all we saw this week was Caira, with 1 Laz and 1 Val game being thrown in there. I think it’s safe to say Slim and Caira are just more reliable picks :s

1 Like

Of course they are, they’re consistent healers. The others take too much skill, and are too easily countered for the ESL players to try to play them well. They’ll continue to use the easier/more reliable picks. Happens every time.

1 Like

To me, Val has issues against highly skilled Monsters mostly because they can play around Tranqs and doesn’t deter them very well.

I agree. When it comes to medics imo, it goes Slim/Caira > Laz > Val

2 Likes

Out of all the levels, high level with it’s great communication and practice and ability to read the game… Val should be a more viable pick than Caira.

1 Like

Well she’s currently considered to be the worst medic by most competitive players :s

1 Like

well we saw a val game today and guess what, val didn’t die one time. it’s stupid to say she is not viable.

as laz you had 2 strikes… and your other teammates had strikes too. so yea… it depends on the teamplay.

She’s viable but she’s just not as good as other medics.

Yes, it’s confusing. She has more consistent heals that caira, she helps more people to out-maneuver the monster with tranqs with more longevity than Caira. If the high level players need caira shooting grenades at her feet to keep her alive…I’m just confused, that’s all.

1 Like

Wait, people think Val’s the worst medic now? I swear this opinion seems to change daily. Lol.

2 Likes

I think Val is a great medic, in the right hands. But she takes more skill than Caira does. She’s got decent heals, and can self heal somewhat well with her heal bursts. It’s more along the lines of having Sunny/Hank to back her up.

Not meaning to insult but, have you actually played in a competitive setting? Such as an esl tournament or something along those lines?

i wouldn’t say that… it depends on how good your team is. but it’s typical for competitive play: to pick the most easiest and most safes picks. i think njp can make val work but in the end everyone wants to win and not to risk anything.

You don’t have to play, in order to correctly judge. Simply takes watching the characters, and knowing what they’re capable of.

1 Like