Val Medgun Changes (Suggestion)

@MacMan I’ve really enjoyed playing Val in general from release until now. Personally, I’ve rather enjoyed the changes that made her healing a little more impactful and her tranq easier to keep in rotation, however she feels like she just can’t keep up around stage 2 in healing for a few reasons.

A) Single Target Healing

• This is a core-identity for Val, so I personally hope to keep this. I have a suggestion to aid this in being more relevant.

B) Battery-Life

• The med-gun can easily run out half-way through a dome if the monster is landing abilities. Once the gun is out, healing is strongly crippled for the remainder of the dome as the recharge rate (even when perked) isn’t very strong at all.

C) Slow AoE Class Heal

• I believe this was a standard tuning across Caira and Val (and maybe Slim as well?) which works to an extent. However, all three other medics can heal themselves more quickly than Val. If Val is reduced to 10% health, it takes 70 seconds for her to reach full again (assuming 30% heal on burst. If 20-25% it stands around 90 to 110 seconds to top off.

These issues combined reduce her effectiveness. So I’d like to offer a solution affecting only one weapon that can see these three issues brought into a more stable area. This change would require code-work, and some model/animation (unfortunately).

Medgun Rework Version 1: "Limited Charges"

Clip Mechanic:

• Pull away from the “always on” battery/recharge to go to a clip mechanic (Val swapping power packs/bio fuel). For lore reasons, you might shift a digit or two on the weapon’s skin to indicate it’s a different model of medgun.

Added Mechanic “Healing Pulse”

• Burst of additional healing at the cost of “charges” which can be consumed at a rate of 1 per second.
  • Using the medgun’s “secondary fire” (which is currently unused), the user can fire off a large burst of healing energy.
    – This can be activated on allies by depressing the alt-fire while currently using the beam on a target. Graphically, it would be represented by a thicker particle zipping along the beam to the ally.
    – This can be activated on self by using alt-fire without having a healbeam on an ally. This will pulse a flash of green energy around Val (approximately heal grenade size, radiating from her torso) and will perform an underpowered heal directly to Val (just like Caira’s heal grenades healing her for less than allies for balance reasons)
  • I’d suggest a starting balance point of 4 charges dealing about 10 to 15% health to allies (half to self) PER BATTERY. This means that Val can expend her four charges, but can continue to hold a beam on target if the ally continues to be in danger. She loses her ability to gain more burst until she forfeits the beam to reload.

Reduced Healing Beam Rate:

• The previous heal rate (pre-balance patch) was considered by many to be low. It was functional, but it was low. With the addition of a limited quantity of additional bursts, I would suggest the base heal rate be reduced back to account for additional throughput.

Medgun Rework Version 2: "Battery Bursts"

Battery Mechanic:

• This will retain the battery/recharge system that is currently implemented with a change noted further below.

Battery Overboosts/Healing Pulse:

• Using the medgun’s “secondary fire” (which is currently unused), the user can fire off a large burst of healing energy which can be triggered at a rate of 1 per second.
    – This can be activated on allies by depressing the alt-fire while currently using the beam on a target. Graphically, it would be represented by a thicker particle zipping along the beam to the ally.
    – This can be activated on self by using alt-fire without having a healbeam on an ally. This will pulse a flash of green energy around Val (approximately heal grenade size, radiating from her torso) and will perform an underpowered heal directly to Val (just like Caira’s heal grenades healing her for less than allies for balance reasons)
  • I’d suggest a starting balance point of 20% battery consumption giving about 10 to 15% health to the targeted ally (half to self). This means that Val can start a beam on an ally while still able to provide 3 or 4 pulses of burst healing as needed, or she can continue to hold a beam on target if the ally continues to be in lesser danger for more efficient healing.

Reload Mechanic:

• Significantly boosted recharge rate (150 to 200% increase) if “reload” is initiated. This will lock out the Medgun from use much like a weapon with a clip cannot be used while reloading. Once the charge is complete, the gun is fully functional. A reload will automatically be cycled should Val swap to a different weapon.

Comments

The core point of this change is to address the three concerns stated initially while focusing on her core values and attempting to keep her balance well in perspective. I’ll do a quick recap in bullet-point fashion.

Charge Based (Secondary Ammo)
Pros:

• Greater single-target healing capability for character differentiation in Hunter select
  • Allows for self-healing while sufficiently paced over time
  • Introduces mini-game of charge management. (Reload mid-fight or hold off for a lull?)
  • Better allows for sustained healing over longer fights
  • Encourages weapon swap play during reload down-time
    Cons:
  • Code-work required
  • Animation-work required
  • Texture adjustments required (lore/canon)
  • Alteration of Val-intro video

Battery Based (Secondary Instant Consume Rate)
Pros:

• Greater single-target healing capability for character differentiation in Hunter select
  • Allows for self-healing while sufficiently paced over time
  • Introduces mini-game of charge management. (Burst and create longer eventual reload time or keep ammo usage down)
  • Better allows for sustained healing over longer fights
  • Encourages weapon swap play during reload down-time
    Cons:
  • Light Code-work required
  • Alteration of Val-intro video

The more I reread the post and edit typos, the more I’m leaning toward Version 2 being the better choice. Both for dev-input time required being less and for counterplay/in-game decision making.

No. Absolutely not. The Medgun recharges quickly anyway, this needs no change.

As for her self-healing, they’re tweaking the burst- it’s going to be much more efficient for self healing soon.

We’re only talking about Val because we want her closer to Caira’s level of healing, yes?

Simple solution, nerf Caira’s heals (or just her self heals) just a little bit. I’m sorry, but an Elite Caira heals for wayyyyyy too damn much. Plain and simple.

@MidnightRoses

I wasn’t aware of the intent to change her class ability. Do you know how they’re tweaking it? My only concern on that part is if they lower the cooldown on her class heal, they increase her AoE which is against her general identity of single target healing. Otherwise, they can make it heal her for more than it already does, but that still doesn’t address the throughput issues or running out of medgun mid-fight and being dead locked at a low battery.

I’ll try to run a custom game later today to pin more exact numbers onto the clip size/recharge rate of the current Val. Information I’ve seen has the gun currently tracked at 12 seconds of “clip” with a generalized number of 6% heal/sec. Rough math says 72% health bar per charge (108% with capacity) before you butt up against the recharge mechanic. I don’t have exact numbers for you, but I have to disagree that the recharge rate is fast enough. The reload perk hsa become mandatory for her, and even then it’s still a struggle past early stage 2 brawling.

Did you look at Version 2 which utilitizes just a straight battery system?

@Blake_Melton

Not necessarily, Blake. The largest reason for this suggestion is to allow her to keep healing in longer fights, rather than running the gun dry and watching people go down without a chance to really respond. The additional single target throughput is more designed to accent her single-target focus as a character. Caira loves dealing with Flame Breath, Val does not (and that’s ok). It provides a more focused choice in Hunter select in relation to what type of healing you’re looking to bring for your team.

4/10 - 4/13 Medic win-rates per MacMan (all levels)

Val 44.8%
Lazarus 49.4
Caira 51.4
Slim 49.9

Val needs some love. Not a lot, but some. I think her running dry in stage 2 domes and only getting harder after is a strong problem. I also think her having the weakest self healing hurts her, so adding a not-allied use of the mechanic allows her to have an active way she can work to remedy the situation at least.

I don’t think val needs tuning up as much as caira needs to be unable to heal herself that good.

MacMan said they were gearing it more towards improving her self-healing, that’s all I know insofar.

As for your second solution- I personally do not see the need to change anything at all to such an extent but it’s an interesting idea nonetheless.

@Pappus

I know Caira is a go-to medic in a lot of situations, but Val is Val and Caira is Caira.

The larger thing to consider is that the three other medics have strong(er) rates of self-healing in general.

• Laz - Heals himself about 33% faster through class ability cooldown
  • Caira - Can self heal with grenades at reduced rate
  • Slim - Regen through monster/wildlife play pattern

Medics take damage. It has to happen. Also, the damage has to “stick” to an extent because otherwise the monster is overcoming an asinine hurdle, and that’s ok. The larger problem is if Val takes 80% of her health but gets away with support cloak or good evasive play, she’s still stuck using her class ability on cooldown for the next 88 seconds whether or not anyone else is near her to get herself back up.

This is why it’s almost a must to take health regen with Val. So that minute of waiting for a heal isn’t waisted for if you need to burst heal on demand. It takes to much time to self heal with Val. Still waiting for a rework at the end of this month. Let’s hope they actually got it done this time :slight_smile:

I don’t think all this is necessary. Just return her capacity/recharge to the way it was and give her the stronger heal burst. Problem solved… Maybe… hopefully.

@SomethingStrange

That’s a potential solution, sure. The only problem is that it bakes more AoE into her kit. Honestly, that may be a good thing as AoE happens regardless of monster played… so maybe it’s just “necessary” and should be accounted for. Still though, I think it’d be fun to have a single-target focused healer (at least, until larger hunter variety allows for more walks of specialization)