UT and Quake Veterans, Teach me Your Ways

I’ve decided to try out the pre-alpha for Unreal Tournament 4, which is really fun considering it’s…well…pre-alpha. In hopes of improving over my 8 kill / 28 death ratio I would like to learn some tips to improve myself in fast paced shooters like this game.

Quake, you say?

Set FOV to 180. :stuck_out_tongue:

I played it once with my friend. (UT4 Alpha)… Uh… I honestly don’t know I have a positive k/d on it. I just aim and shoot lol. It’s funny because every time I play my childhood game, Unreal Gold against bots, they always DESTROY me.

Is it coming to consoles?? :((

Hmm. I haven’t played FPS’s since UT2k4, but I could give some advice. I destroyed most opponents in deathmatches on the older games. Here’s some general tips:

1). Move WASD over one column to ESDF. You can use the additional keys on the left side for weapon swaps or macros. This habit might carry over to other games (I use ESDF on every game including Evolve). Once you get used to it, you’ll find it is far superior to WASD in every situation.

2). Explode-y weapons like flak cannons and rockets should always be fired at the opponent’s feet or where they’re going to land. It sacrifices some damage to guarantee a hit, and depending on which UT you’ll knock them in a predictable direction for an additional hit, or a possible weapon swap/macro hit with a different weapon.

3). Hitscan weapons are best aimed by letting targets move into your crosshair rather than the other way around. If you watch a lot of Quake Live tournaments (which have accurate first-person spectate), you’ll notice top players use the railgun with minimal mouse movement, instead focusing on a corner and only using the mouse to hold that position on the crosshair while strafing or jumping sideways.

4). Change your crosshair to something that doesn’t impede the center of it,such as a triangle or corner, and color it bright pink as that is the color most inverse to the textures or effects of any level you’re aiming in. Remove all camera bobbing features if the game’s options allow you to do so – camera bobbing is visual and not mechanical, and only serves to throw off your aim when moving.

5). Graphics settings can be gamed. Setting world textures to lowest quality but keeping characters at highest makes them stand way out. Put the game at the highest resolution you can for the most clarity of small objects, reducing other graphics if needed to prevent framerate drops.

6). Audio settings can be gamed. UT games have a ton of sound cues that you’ll only hear if you turn off the music. Not having music on is especially important in 1v1 games, as discovery is a big part of winning. There’s also usually a “walk” button that makes you move slowly but not give away any audio cues to your opponent in a 1v1.

7). Jump lots. Jump before elevators stop moving upward to get extra height. If UT4 allows walljumping, do it. If UT4 allows shield gun jumping like in UT2k4, learn to do it. Jump jump jump! In UT2k4, jump->walldodge->jump was one of the fastest forms of travel that didn’t cost health. The only time you shouldn’t be jumping is in a 1v1 and you suspect your opponent is camping a central point.

8). Bind a key to throwing your weapon. There’s usually shenanigans to be had with getting more ammo by tossing a near-empty gun and picking up a fresh one from whatever weapon spawner there is. Depends on the game.

9). If there is an alternate fire for the rocket launcher that allows you to charge rockets and fire them in a tight formation like UT2k4 had, use it profusely. Combined with shooting at an opponent’s feet, you’re amping the damage of your first attack in a fight at no downside. If there’s an alternate fire that shoots them as grenades like UT99 had, use it profusely when backpedaling around corners (fade attacks).

Whoops, I started rambling. Well, maybe I should check out UT4… it’s only been, what, 12 years? I feel old.

Huh. Never thought of that. O_o

http://data3.whicdn.com/images/20888421/original.gif