Update 2.03 Discussion Thread

Patch overflow

@GentlemanSquirl
Personally, I feel like the weekly patches are too often.

You aren’t giving anyone time to adapt to the changes. So all the conclusions you are drawing are very premature.
Secondly, it seems you haven’t given enough thought and/or QA testing to some changes (auto-dropship screwing Laz, taking away idling, …).

The old patch cycle of several months was too slow but this is the other extreme. You can fix bugs and introduce new features weekly. But balancing needs time.

If you had those balance changes planned for a long time that’s okay. But from now on you should give the Evolve players time to adapt.
IMO Overwatch has a very healthy patch cycle.

2 Likes

Yeah, this perk was more than likely introduced to deal with kiting. I dunno know why they’re constantly trying to get rid of it or leave it as a very minimalistic tatic what’re we supposed to do about certain abilities, stand there and take it? If they want to get rid of the “cheesiest” of places than change or remove those, don’t add in something that has beyond bullshit uses.

I have to say, while the balance might be in the right direction, I’m rather disappointed at some of the new features added.

Why was this feature even introduced? I get that new players don’t understand how to use the dropship timer and get Stage 1 wiped, and there are those that miss the respawn countdown, but this is a direct contradiction with Lazarus. Its not even a buff or nerf to anyone as others have mentioned. Its a pure design conflict that automatically confers a strike for no apparent reason in situations when a Lazarus could have easily prevented it. I really don’t get this at all, nor the response by snowkissed that getting a buff would make up for this, when its not even about balance in the first place.

Just noticed this preventive feature had a slight change, thank god, not that I care about win streaks though. But I am still completely perplexed as to the thought process behind the original feature in the first place. If the intention is to discourage leaving to protect their winstreak, then it created an even bigger problem of legit players dropping their streak because they left a lobby where someone who once again, didn’t get what they want, left and got replaced by a bot.

This also sidetracks the main problem of queue dodging and leaving that has been causing a lot of dissatisfaction yet a penalty system is still taking a backseat to this severe issue.

What the hell? I’m play both Monster and Hunters equally and I can say this will completely destroy hunters.

Ranged attacks already had an inherent massive advantage over melee attacks. Thats also a main reason why in other games, they keep a distinction between on what on-hit effects can work and what they can’t. The new grounder perk and changes to snowball functionality just propelled Kraken to the regions of OP valley

2 Likes

The auto suicide might not be but the drop ship timer starting on incap is definitely a buff.

3 Likes

Well can’t we just let Laz get used to the new Dropship changes before we go nuts over here…

Change apparently didn’t go through, it’s still 10 seconds.

I just watched a few games of Insane, Puggims, Fresh, Glitchfull, Dylan and Wardoom:

In the first three games the hunters were hit by every ability the monster casted and got incapped in seconds but the monster still lost because the hunters just did more damage.
So that’s new Evolve now? Just don’t try to dodge anything because you can’t anyway with Grounder? Just have everyone shoot the monster the whole time? Where’s the fun in that?

My team is getting strikes about as fast against Wraith but we simply can’t do so much damage. We are gonna lose every game now. Not because we are bad at positioning or dodging, just because we aren’t as good in shooting…

As I said in another thread:

If the game is changing towards a damage exchange instead of a game of dodging / landing abilities I would not like development. :frowning:

By the way, @Insane_521 said that they are calling perks out in their testing. I think that’s a huge problem. The regular players are blind-picking everything in Evolve. So you can’t say “Yeah, he is picking Wraith with Grounder, I’m just gonna go jump height and JP efficiency”. The monster could also go Kraken with Grounder and you would be screwed. There is no counter picking because it’s blind picking, consider this in your balance testings, please.
This is one reason Perks should never secretly debuff numbers of other players. Evolve’s greatness isn’t measured by how many perks we have. Add new maps if you want to add new content.

3 Likes

uhm, its impossible to outdamage a goliath when he hits everything and you do not dodge.

ill check it out.

Goliath is kiteable. Wraith, Elder and Kraken not so much.

I have only seen the first games of the stream yet and it was only Elder and Wraith so far. :slight_smile:

Like you are listening to our calls to rework Distraction beacon? Sure. And I’m gonna eat flowers and fart perfume!

As alwyas form 2K … bad patch note (for most of changes …).

DEV 1 : Hey guys ! We must do a patch note !
SALESMAN : Yeah ! NERF hunters and UP monsters !!
DEV ASSEMBLY : YEAH !!!

Seriously ? Up kraken ?? Did you really aware about activity on your game ??
Win streak is now lost more easilly ? WHO care about this shitty option ??

What about bug where you can’t launch available Dome enven if the monster is clearly in you vision/dome range ???
What about quasi-instant sneak attack for monsters ?
What about silver bonus for each dome succeed by the player ?? Maybe with this option people will learn to anticipate monsters movements and move their ass ??

but isnt this actually good? less stupid dodging, which can be really annyoing sometimes. This seems like the monster can make progress while the hunters to the same. Not this one sided health drain and maybe getting stage3 to crush in one instant to win the game.

Wut? “Less stupid dodging”?

So the hunters are supposed to sit there and let monsters hit them, are they? Bloody Hell, what happened? People just want games handed to them.

If there was one big screw up I had to relate the Grounder perk to, it’d be the release era Fog Ring in Dark Souls. The thing just outright robbed one side of a crucial mechanic and gave an unfair advantage to the side with the ring if you didn’t have it yourself.

Main difference here is that there is no counter to this and it borders on a perk that no amount of skill will save the hunters from.

3 Likes

Wow, dodging is one of the best mechanics. There is nothing stupid about it. It requires skill. What would you prefer the hunters do to avoid damage? Running around pillars? Because that’s fun!

woot, maybe this was not clear but often times a monster gets kited around all the time. not beeing able to get a single strike. Which, frankly, gets frustrating after a while. I don´t say dodging should not be there but it should be not impossible to get strikes versus certain compositions of hunters.

Okay, so you are mixing terms here. There are three tactics to avoid being hit by the monster.

• Going up and down a cliff. Was nerfed a bit by the monsters being able to hit you off of the wall and Goliath being able to turn while jumping
  • Running around pillars. The stupidest tactic to avoid the monster. But effective
  • Dodging: Doing a jetpack boost as the monster casts its attack to avoid it. This tactic requires the most skill and IMO feels the fairest and most fun on both sides

Grounder kills dodging so that pretty much leaves us with running around pillars or just don’t avoid and start shooting. Not much fun in that.

1 Like

That’s less to do with dodging and more to do with how good certain hunters are.

Sure, the additional jetpack thrust perk was unnecessary, and the problems that have been caused by Sunny’s JPB should have been lesson enough to the balance team to avoid including perks that added this, but the Grounder perk is just so astoundingly OTT that it’s hard to believe they even thought that this perk was okay.

1 rank in this perk more than negates 3 ranks in the opposite perk on the hunters side. Right now the hunters can, at best mitigate the damage Grounder does. God help you if you’re running a comp where one or more of the hunters needs another perk entirely just to be used effectively. In one patch TRS has effectively just completely brutally murdered whatever balance they did have.

2 Likes

Which is still kiting, everything of it. I am still not saying that dodging should not be there. My point was that this results in a more fast paced game, where both sides actually make progress in a fight (and like your video shows) apparently not being totally unfair to one side.

Another thing is the point where there is such an abysmal skill gap between new players and experts. A new hunter player gets in the game, and will get crushed. period. nothing he can do, nothing he will understand… he just dies and thinks to himself (or sometimes makes a thread) wow what an unbalanced game.
So here we are now, this skill bridges the gap and “grounds” high level hunters movement advantage to less experienced players. Which is, again, not good or bad in my oppinion but i see why they did it.

Inexperienced monsters get frustrated against good hunters.
Inexperienced Hunters get frustrated by good monsters.

There is almost no middle ground. You will not have a good time with such a gap in skill, it´s not even the same game. so by shifting the focus away from “win by op movement” they rather go the way to lie it more on before fight positioning and overall performance. Just look at the dropship timer, beeing killed isn´t as bad as it used to be.

And it´s not that jetpacks are now completely useless, you still can mitigate at least one out of three abilities, which is a good thing imo. Dodging 100% was not fun for anyone in my oppinion.

Now you say that 1 perk of grounder cancels 3 of the opposite side… okay that might be. After all, we are in “beta” and have weekly patches. It will be adjusted.

I don’t care if both sides are making equal progress if it’s just no fun to play the game. And it isn’t without the dodging, at least not for me.

They can adjust that perk into the recycle bin as far as I am concerned. “Well, it was an idea, but it’s unfun for the players. We learned from it. Let’s try something different.”

2 Likes

while not having the perk is unfun for 1 out of 5 players. Yeah, maybe we have different oppinions what the focus of a hunt based game should be. That´s fine.
But good that you read my post, especially the part with the fun for new players.