Torvald's mortars are fine, you are playing badly

Torvald’s mortars are fine, you are playing badly.

You have to understand where your team is going to move, and then aim where they’re going, because you can communicate with your team there is no reason to ever NOT be able to combo the mortar when the monster is focusing a hunter.

Thats outside of the normal aiming ahead of the monster skill involved with the ability.

5 Likes

There’s not much of a need to repeat the title lol but yeah if people communicated where theywere going it would make the job of any Assault easier.

Obviously troll bait but there’s a small chance your actually legitimately misinformed so I guess I’ll bite.
Go on the telemetry thread and looks at his stats compared to the other assaults. Now look back at his stats, now back to parnell and Hyde, now back to him. What do you see? Oh wow look at that alot less damage! And what about if the monster isn’t a complete retard and hears your mortars go off and traverses out of the way because they fall as slowly as feathers? Guess what no damage yay!! And what if you aren’t in a pre made team that communicates like most people that play the game? There trash again. Before you tell other people that there bad at the game or not playing right or whatever get your facts straight. Because right now you look like a complete dumbass.

13 Likes

by TheMountainThatRoars

7 Likes

Except that they are not. Still not ever the same. Sure, you can adjust for the leading, but the hang time is ridiculous.

Sounds like you play on PC.

Yes. You can land them on a Monster, but unlike every other projectile in the game, the hang time depends on way more variables - one mainly being luck. Leading a target requires a split-second analysis of the movement patterns of said target. The problem is as humans, we cannot normally calculate the trajectory of something that moves so incredibly slow, particularly when the target is capable of erratic movements. All a Monster needs to do is move gently out of the way when they see the Mortars fired.

Secondly, the damage reward when hitting the target is A: rare; B: not worth it.

Like I’ve said time and time again, the gravity change was unnecessary. If he was doing too much damage, just lower the damage and tweak the reload.

Instead of: screwing with gravity, changing spread, changing reload, changing blast radius…

The whole counter argument to your statement is that Torvald is an Assault. He does less damage than most Assaults. At this point: why use a character that does less damage AND is harder to use AND is less reliable, where every other Assault can do equal or greater damage and is easier to use?

2 Likes

cough Hyde

1 Like

Mortars badlys are fine, you are playing cheeseburger.

2 Likes

Nah, Torvald’s at a horrible spot atm.

Btw, allow me to go off-topic here. I’ve personally never seen any damage spreadsheet but perhaps @CreepingDeath can enlighten me on this:

If Assaults are sorted by their damage output per match (I’m assuming that’s the case), wouldn’t that mean Torvald comes out on top?
Basically, the faster you kill the Monster the better you’ve done your job. However, if you don’t do enough damage to kill the Monster, it will flee and get more armor and evolve for more health. Which then also has to be depleted.
Doesn’t that mean that the Assault with the lowest damage output has the highest chance of letting the Monster reach stage 3 and as such, deal the most damage in a round?

I’m curious.

3 Likes

Thing is you are commenting on this now after its been fixed from being glitched…which complaints were warranted then.

Not sure if you’re trolling (since I havent seen the same outcry post-patch) or “under-informed”

The Assault with the lowest damage output per total time in combat would be the most effective.

I’m glad you understand this!

Post patch, only the spread has changed. Even if they fixed the gravity (which still has a LOT of hangtime), they lowered the reload on console (to match PC) and he’s just now a harder to play Assault with no reward.

Once again, pick Parnell or Hyde to do more damage without the hassle of waiting for mortars to land: easier + more damage + more reliable + no having to lead a shot = no reason to pick Torvald.

1 Like

Here are some tips for Torvald’s mortars from a PC player (don’t want to argue about his utility, but if you want to play him these are some useful tips for mortars):

Now that the mortars take longer to fall using them from high ground increases the time to impact (TTI). Only use the mortars from a level plane with the monster, or even better when the monster is higher up than you. This will decrease the TTI and make it easier to score hits. The best position is when a monster is above and maybe 10 meters or so in front. If you aim your mortars correctly they will fly straight into the monster like rockets, very effective and can work against a flying Kracken as well. I am not saying this is easy to do, or can be done often, but when it happens you will wreck the monster.

A great time to use mortars is when the monster is climbing up or about to climb up a cliff either to escape or attack a hunter. This works best if you are on the ground below, but can work if you are up high as well.

You should also use mortars when the monster has limited movement options. For instance if he is at the edge of a dome chasing a teammate you can fire the mortars in a arc to the side and in front of the monster and if the lead is correct some will hit. You can also use them like Hank’s Orbital Barrage and fire them in the path of a monster focusing a teammate. The monster will either divert or take the hits.

The monster does not know where you are aiming. If a monster player is moving as soon as they hear the mortar fire, try aiming where you think he will go instead of where he is. He may just leap right into the impact zone!

Body camping is of course an excellent opportunity for a quick mortar, but it may be even more effective if used as a distraction to get the monster to move off the body in coordination with a medic or support to go in and get a revive.

Stay on your shotgun and only switch to mortars when there are good opportunities. Don’t waste time with the mortar reticle out looking for a shot when you could be using the shotgun. Also make sure you are using your shrapnel grenade regularly to increase the shotgun and mortar damage.

I recommend using solo arena mode to practice your aiming and learn the correct lead while coordinating your shotgun and shrapnel grenade. This will go a long way towards getting more hits when paired with the tactics above against a human controlled monster.

4 Likes

Damage numbers can always be tweaked but the way the mortars move is fine.

How’s communicating where to move, with pings, and then firing at that point hard? Probably because no ones shown you.

I’m not going to lead that horse to water…but I’m willing to call that horse refusing to drink bad.

I’m not going to talk about console gameplay, because ultimately its always inferior because of the input device’s flaws.

If you miss 66% of your mortar strikes because you’re bad at communication skills, then claim that data shows he’s weak, I have to assume that missing 66% of your mortar strikes is a factor. If we’re talking stats.

1 Like

You’re not communicating with the Monster and asking it to go there.

I have no problem leading the target and hitting the target. I can still kill the Monsters as Torvald.

I’m arguing his utilization.

You’re communicating with the players the monster inevitably has to go towards or orient around.

1 Like

Not always. In fact, most Monsters do not get in mêlée range of Hunters. They hover near or around, but not to an area where the Mortars can be adjusted for.

An average or better Monster will not go into mêlée range of any character. So the argument that the other teammates will go to x area and lure a Monster in is quite fallacious.

You’re also arguing the probability factor, which is very much unlike a Mine or Grenade.

I’m one of the top players, so please don’t address me as if I’m some newbie whom has no way to use Torvald.

Another fallacy in your argument would be like telling someone that they simply aren’t skilled enough on a slot machine - after all, they did pull the handle. The Mortars rely more on luck than leading a target. Which is fine.

My point is that the reward for landing the target does not match the skill required to do so. Not simple raw damage numbers that I can output.

The fact of the matter is, that you can use mortars exactly like Hank uses his orbital, and its more flexible then hank’s orbital. Whether or not you hit the monster or zone the monster, the space control is whats important for its utility.

Shoot your mortars run into where you shot engage the monster, run back, now you have a period of safety where the monster can’t punish you without taking a ton of damage.

This positioning advantage is good.

Let alone the leading and the damaging normal goodness.

Damage isn’t the only useful thing a character can do in a game, and Torvald has a lot of team support utility, as well as damage.

When you’re not damaging you’re zoning, and when you’re zoning you’re protecting people, how does he do that? By threatening damage. Sometimes he makes good on it.

If you can’t accurately gauge the non-damage power of the ability that’s designed to do damage, you’re not accurately going to know if its underpowered or not, and damage data isn’t going to give you that information.

1 Like

A: Assault’s job is to do HEAVY damage. Their job is NOT utility.

B: The fact that you think Torvald is any way threatening is refuted by a majority of Monster AND Hunter players.

Of course raw damage data isn’t going to give much indication. But the vast decrease in selection compounded with shrinking total damage does.

1 Like

You’re not right.

Torvald does that, and does something else at the same time. He’s more of a utility assault. Comparing him to parnell is like comparing bucket and hank. Its not like Bucket doesn’t protect his team, and provide utility, but he does it by threatening damage.

Torvald deals damage through zoning. He allows his team to position more optimally, and he uses that positioning advantage to force the monster to take extreme damage.

Pretending like he’s not focused on damage is like pretending Bucket isn’t focused on protecting his team.

They do the same thing through different valid paths.

3 Likes

GAUNTLET HAS BEEN THROWN!

1 Like