In Evolve as of now I feel like it’s all about the tumble.
A monster can only down a hunter if it hits a combo of abilities in a short period of time. Otherwise the heals and shields are too strong. To achieve this all the monsters have to CC the hunter. (except Gorgon maybe)
- Goliath needs to hit with Leap Smash or Charge followed by Rock Throw when the hunter tumbles
- Kraken needs to tumble the hunters with Banshee Mines / Vortex into Lightning Strike into After Shock
- Wraith needs to perma-stun the hunter with melee hits and Abduct
- Behemoth needs to roll the Hunter over again and again against a wall or execute a Tongue Grap, Lava Bomb, Rock Wall combo
- Gorgon needs to Spider Trap somebody onto Acid (although Gorgon is more about CC’ing all of the hunters and does not rely on comboing abilities as much as the other monsters)
In all of these scenarios, basically one mistake on the hunter side can lead to a chain of events where you have no control over your character and therefore cannot do anything. That leads to very frustrating gaming experience.
For example, yesterday I was hit by a Goliath’s Leap Smash mid-air, flew against a wall with no control over my character. Then the Rock Throw hit me and I was incapped by Flame Breath. I made one mistake to not dodge that Leap Smash and it lead to a chain of combos where I couldn’t do anything to get away.
Of course most of the times you shoot the Banshee Mines, or dodge the initial ability. But if you don’t often you’re pretty much screwed without a chance to counter.
Monster’s should not have to rely on tumbling the hunters so much. Novice monsters don’t know that and cannot get any strikes. And on the hunter side, one mistake can lead to losing all of your health without ever getting control over your hunter. It’s all about exploting one mistake and not about consistently hitting your abilities.
Of course combos require skill and I really like that aspect. But on the other side it can be pretty frustrating…
I don’t have a perfect solution for the tumbling problem. I just wanted to open a discussion on that issue. Maybe reduce the tumble and in return reduce the healing, too?
Do you even feel like that’s a problem or am I the only one?