The state of Evolve and its playerbase

Before I start, let me be clear–I love Evolve. I don’t use these forums very much, and I wouldn’t consider myself a hardcore player by any means (I have about 350 hours in the game–feel free to add me on steam synthD). That said, I would guess that most forum users, by and large love this game just as much as I do.

That said, despite the fact that the majority of the forum posts on this site address bug fixes and balance issues, there doesn’t seem to be much discussion in the way of the glaring playerbase issue plaguing this game. Personally I bought this game because I really loved the concept, and I thought it was going to be the next Left 4 Dead 2 (as far as the playerbase was concerned). The playerbase for a given game is important to me personally–I don’t want to invest time and effort into a game if no one’s going to play it. Unfortunately, that seems to be the case for Evolve. As of today, according to steamcharts, there are an average of 400 people playing this game on PC, and this number has been declining steadily over the past few months (despite the addition of a LOT of free new content). Compare that to Left 4 Dead 2 (a six year old game), which has 11,000 average players. I’m sure the problem is similar on consoles as well.

I would like to start a serious, realistic, and civil discussion on what TR doing to address this issue, and what can we as a community do to support them. This is neither a discussion for bashing TR, nor is it a discussion on the events on the mistakes that were made to get the game to the way it is today. I personally have been saddened watching many of my friends on steam slowly quitting this game (myself included to an extent) to do the difficulties associated with finding good games due to the continually dwindling playerbase.

To start the discussion, I’d like to propose the idea of TR dropping the price of the base game (Tiers 1-3) to $10-$20. Leave the season pass content the same price, and start charging for the “alter-ego” hunters as lower-priced alternatives. I personally paid >$100 for this game (I bought the base game ($60), Behemoth ($9), season 1 ($25), and season 2 ($25) all separately) so I’m not totally happy about seeing the price of the game go down so much, but it’ll do leaps and bounds towards getting more people to see how great this game is. How do you guys feel about this? Other thoughts?

Concerns Dealing with Evolve's Playerbase

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Concerns Dealing with Evolve’s Playerbase