The Science of Evolve

Inspired by the ‘Welcome to Shear’ guide, I thought it would be interesting to deduce how Shear and it’s inhabitants came to be. This will contain some fiction, scientific facts and estimates, so this might not be your thing, but if it is, I hope you enjoy it. Things are partial to change as more info is revealed.

The Science of Evolve

Around 6.6 billion years ago, about two billion years before Earth was created, due to the eventual formation of the sun, fragments of dust and gas formed a protoplanetary disk, where particles began to collide, forming masses that eventually became planetesimals. These planetesimals became the solid inner planets. One of which was Shear.
This planet was teetering on the edge of the Goldylocks zone, and in the path of many asteroid showers.

Similar to the theory that the Moon may have been created when a Mars sized planet collided with Earth, Shear was subject to anomalous bombardment from space, some so fierce, they knocked the planet out of it’s zone of safety, creating wild weather changes on the growing planet below.
In only fifteen millennia, Shear was a unstable planet, sometimes plummeting to temperatures like -200 degrees, or soaring to 460.
Vast frozen lakes were formed during the freezes, then wiped away during the heat.
This constant freeze-thawing created frost action, and broke up large chunks of landmass on Shear.

Irregular weather like this made it extremely hard for life to grow anywhere.
The smallest signs of bacterial life in the lakes were evaporated as the heat waves returned, and the land was still rocky and barren.
After twenty million years of this irregularity, things began to stabilise on Shear after another meteor strike.
Constant pelting on one side of the planet had managed to turn it into spinning top, gaining speed by each few hundred millennia.

By around four billion years ago, Shear had (almost) made into the Goldylocks zone, the way a spinning top would move across a table.
The orbit of the planet still upset the climate at times, but things were finally settling down to a almost routine fashion. In time to come, some areas of the planet would develop into green rainforests, barren deserts, or chilly mountains, depending on how close they were to the Sun.
However, that was still a long way away from where we are now in Shear’s violent history.

At about the same time Shear was blundering it’s way into the Goldylocks zone again, (4 million years ago) life finally was able to snatch a foothold on the planet.
In the vast oceans, molecules were joining together, becoming more dependant on each other, until the first bacteria was created, ‘vi principiorum’ or ‘violent beginnings’.

From here, life in the lakes and oceans flourished, but differences slowly became clear on different parts of the planet.
In the deepest ocean on the planet, two large single cellular organisms fought for dominance of the seas;
Decujusdamaquatilisbestiaemagnae and etmaresaevus. The former would become one of the largest predators on Shear, and the latter just falling behind.

In the cool lakes one the other side of the planet, large cells had already emerged, deus simium, dwarfing the rest and evolving the quickest.

After one particularly brutal asteroid crashed into the ocean, life suddenly began to expand and grow in an odd way.
New bacteria appeared from no where, almost seeming they may have not been there previously.
Four confirmed bacteria sprung up and took the reigns of Shear’s food chain.
Only two have been confirmed and identified so far.
Evidence of the other two special cellular animals has been found, but no traces of it’s descendants have been discovered yet.

These two known alpha cells were the first to develop into eukaryotes, then bacterial colonies, until the first big explosion of life, 2.5 billion years ago.
Cephalopods, marine reptiles, shell fish and crustaceans were all on the scene for 65 million years, until they and their world began to change drastically.

Two species in particular emerged, one a kind of cephalopod adhuc minus cetus, sprouted appendages, the first on Shear to do so.
This made it much quicker than any other multicellular life at the time, and was able to escape attacks quickly.
The other, a marine reptile adhuc minus became much more robust and muscled, so became the main predator of the seas it lived in.
Being at the top of the food chain on Shear, they were met with much competition from others, for food, breeding grounds and territory.

Much of this conflict kick started a special gene each of them held, the ability to manipulate evolution.
Adhuc minus cetus was intelligent and fast, but lacked any kind of combat utilites or organs.
This evolved into Vestibulum sem maris incola, a kind of elemental squid that harnessed the power from the sea storms that were often whipped out to sea.
At first this ability was only able to stun other sea creatures, but another mutation of evolution created a deadly shock, cast from the skies above.
Further down the line came the ability to draw electric currents from their surroundings and store it for further use.

At exactly the same time, adhuc minus was struggling to evolve into a more effective version of itself.
Any changes were to size and muscle density, whilst still making it a brutal killing machine, it was slowly losing it’s edge over the other reptiles.
Because of this flaw, they sought to seek power elsewhere, on land. And so became the first creatures to scamper onto Shear’s surface, now diverse and lush.
Adhuc minus had grown two short legs at the front, two powerful legs at the back, and a heavy tail to keep balance. They left the ocean to claim the land, leaving their thunderous cousins behind.

Updated. More coming soon.

How did these monsters travel to SHEAR

Pretty fun!

Cool man. :wink:

Cool ideas. Nice to see a different type of creative thinking rather than monster and hunter suggestions. I’m really interested in learning the history of stuff, so even though this was made up it was still fun to read :slight_smile:

Thanks!
I’m just worried someone will come out with a piece of info that debunks everything I’ve written here :open_mouth:

Well, maybe. It just depends if the devs have actually covered the planet’s creation in that much detail. Even if they did though it’s still cool to share your ideas and whatnot. The “story time” topic is kinda similar and I like reading those, even though they also made up.

Yeah, that’s more for just Hunters ‘n’ Monsters like you said.
I guess I just made this for people who are more interested in the extra details, even if they may not be entirely accurate in the months to come.
And also science.

I thought over in england, you guys used celsius, not farenhite.

Yeah we do.

SO, MANY, FELLOW, ENGLISH, PEOPLE! I love ya.

Awfully quiet around here lately

So when you said it went to like -400 degrees, if that was celsius, its impossible. Absolute zero is around -265°C from what i remember. I may be off, but i know its higher than -400°

Sorry, I’ll fix that

cc @Matthew

Two small critiques. 1st, you say that Shear entered the goldilocks zone 4 million years ago, but the first big explosion of life was 2.5 billion years ago. I’d change million to billion to solve this problem.
2nd, none of Evolve’s monsters are native to Shear.
Other than that, amazing read and look forward to more. Are those names made up or actual Latin?

Holy crap I actually forgot that. I think I can work around it though.
Yeah they’re Latin, look them up in a translator if you want.

Actually I was just thinking about it then, their distant ancestors may have arrived on a meteor, rather than coming to Shear as a multicellular animal.
I’ll make some changes in the morning, it’s nearly midnight in England.

I have some theories on monster biology, not many but a few.

I sounds like the monsters come from another planet and only arrived after the humans, but thats just my interpretation of it

Okay, I’ve changed it to the ‘arrived on a asteroid’ theory since it’s the most scientific explanation at the moment, but I can easily change it, if or when more history is revealed.
-Actually, I’m struggling to continue from here, because if I go into the detail of the monster’s evolution, then we find out I’m totally wrong, that’s a big gap to cross.