Have been thinking about this for awhile now, but have put off adding it until after the Hype for T4 died down.
Basically what i hope to achieve here is a centralized thread to discuss the pros/cons and possible changes to the RNG based scavengers of Evolve.
So to start off: Carrion Birds
- Appear about 80% of the time( compared to trapjaws ) Must have open skies
- Are based off an RNG limit. Meaning the chances of spawning birds increases every time the monster feeds.
- Notify hunters wherever they may be on the map
- Purpose as a gameplay element is to help hunters keep tabs on a elusive monster/ punish monsters for eating or wondering( batrays ) trivially.
- Have a small grace period when the monster spawns birds. give the monster 5 seconds to put some distance between it and the kill. birds would now give the hunters an area to look instead of a pinpoint location.
- Have the hunter notification have a “fan out effect.” the further away hunters are the longer it takes for the notification to reach them. rewards hunters for accurately tracking.
- Killing carrion birds would reduce the amount of time the hunter notification is available.
- Have the RNG limit be based on proximity of kills rather than a set number of them. makes sense that if a monster stays in an area for too long feeding it will attract birds more quickly than say a monster who eats one or two things and then moves on to another part of the map. Never made sense to me why 3-5 birds would swarm a single reaver but not a 3 mammoth bird corpse pile?
- Straight up remove them from the game. While I not completely in favor of this I’m putting it here because im well aware of many people feeling this way.
Next up: Trapjaws
- Only spawn when the RNG limit is hit in Caves or other places with no open sky.
- 5-8 trapjaws spawn at once and will fight the monster or any other wildlife nearby for the kill.
- Have a hefty amount of hp can be killed, pounced, and eaten. offer 1 meat.
- Purpose as a gameplay element is to force weaker/ lower staged monsters from feeding or hiding in the safety of caves.
- Slightly increase health and make trapjaws 2 meats. Trapjaws are bigger, meaner, and tougher than steamadons, who are 2 meats…also Daisy is a trapjaw and is a 2 meat. What this does is it gives trapjaws a duel purpose within the game. A weak or S1 monster who is looking for the safety and sanctuary of feeding in caves is now more effectively forced out due to stronger trapjaws, something that is kinda lacking in its current state. a stronger S2 or S3 monster can go to caves and hope to lure out trapjaws in order to fight them for the kill and get more worthwhile food in the process. What this does is entices the monster with a risk vs reward situation: should I stay here for awhile and take the time to fight off trapjaws to get 5-8 2 meats, but if i do, i have a better chance to be found by hunters.
- Have an Alpha trapjaw (albino) who constantly howls as long as he has sights on the monster, alerting nearby hunters who are nearby.
- Make it so Trapjaws have a chance to spawn instead of carrion birds out in the open.
So here are just some of my ideas feel free to add your own.