The Elite Dangerous thread

Sweet candy.

I love that ice rings are no longer seen as a waste of time!

I’m not getting in as much time as I’d like, but EDSM says I’m currently 4,247.71 LY from Sol. My Asp gets 55 LY per jump easy (with six full hardpoints, hehe), so covering distance is more convenient than before. What really slows me down is the temptation to scan the systems I pass through. I’ve decided my current plan is to visit a couple of famed locations in the Formidine Rift, before crossing over to the Outer Arm, whereupon I’ll follow it north.

1 Like

Got back into this game a few days ago and I’m enjoying it more now that I found a way to make money easier and faster

Started again with the Asp Explorer, shortly upgraded to the Alliance Chieftain and now I have a pimped out Python which is gonna make me even more money :smile:

3 Likes

So I was going back to buy an Anaconda and kinda ran out of fuel apparently since the only stars were these purple ones or the really red ones and you can’t fuel scoop them :frowning:

0 Likes

See if you have enough fuel to plot a jump to the nearest scoopable star. If you’re flat empty, then call the Fuel Rats.

When you plot a course, the last scoopable star before you run out of fuel will be highlighted and called out as “FUEL STAR”. I believe this should also be called out to you on the HUD as you’re jumping to it.

In general, it’s a good idea to pay attention to the stellar class of the star you’re jumping to. Only Main Sequence stars are scoopable: classes O, B, A, F, G, K, M. (Popular mnemonics for remembering these are “Oh, Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me”, and “KGB FOAM”.)

It’s possible to filter the Galaxy Map by stellar class, if you choose.

3 Likes

Also, drop out of supercruise, before you use up what’s in your reserve tank (the thin bar above the empty thick main tank bar). If you use up your reserve tank too, your power plant will shut down, and you’ll be on emergency life support air, which means you’ll die in a few minutes.

Drop to normal space, come to a stop, power down non-essential systems. Leave life support on!

3 Likes

Yea I wasn’t checking the map like I was on the way to where I was making my money so that’s why I ran out since I wasn’t paying enough attention :sweat_smile:

Was literally just looking at that filter setting and was thinking “what ones are scoopable” and alt-tabbed to see your reply right on time :laughing:

Edit:
So will having these options selected mean that it only plots a route to systems that have these stars?

1 Like

By itself, no, it’ll just de-highlight the un-selected star types. But there is a second checkbox down below, called “Filter route by selection” or some such, which does what you asked.

1 Like

I have that toggled on in the screenshot but for some reason it only shows the whole picture when you click on it

I feel a lot safer with these toggled on now though :smile:

Edit:
Made it there safely now and now own an Anaconda :smile:

1 Like

Oh, sorry yeah, I didn’t click in. Yeah looks good.

So, how did you escape? You actually had enough fumes in the main tank to jump? Or you called the Rats?

2 Likes

I self-destructed :sweat_smile:

Completely forgot about the Fuel Rats but I wasn’t bothered about spending 3m for re-buy

0 Likes

2 Likes

Tried to reply to a comment on Reddit, but it was locked. Can’t let all this phone tapping go to waste :stuck_out_tongue:

There is no huge penalty for death. If you’re having trouble funding rebuys, then I don’t know what in the world you’re doing. Credits are astonishingly easy to come by in this game.

It’s not about the credits, it’s about the time. Hours spent jumping and scanning, in this case.

That said, I think this is a game where you will have a really hard time getting anywhere without interacting with “the community” in some form, be it internet research, social media, or just talking with friends. Participation in DW2 required awareness of the community, and indeed the whole point of it is that it’s a group activity.

So when the ganker group publicly announces that they’ll be doing exactly what they’re doing, I have some difficulty believing that someone who attends this trip, and chooses to do it in Open, isn’t making a conscious choice about the risk.

Private group really isn’t that hard to figure out, and especially shouldn’t be hard for someone who already went to the trouble of registering for the trip and following its announcements. And I’m not saying they shouldn’t be able or allowed to play in Open. I’m saying if they quit the game over what happened in Open, I think that clearly illustrates they made the wrong choice of mode, and they should have known better, and known themselves better.

1 Like

@DarKastlez, I was hoping to make some biological discoveries on my current voyage. I ran across one like what’s pictured in your video above, but it wasn’t new, it was barely even outside the Bubble as I recall.

Well finding geological locations is trivial now, but I think biologicals may require a nebula… and there are no nebulae for thousands of light years from my current position on the Outer Arm. :laughing: Still, I always wanted to have a look around the outer reaches of the Galaxy, and I’ll definitely cross more densely packed space on my way back inwards.

Edit: my current location (don’t let the system name fool you, this is a “planetary nebula” with nothing there but stars):

Distance to Sol: 20,878.58 ly
Distance to Colonia: 31,066.07 ly

1 Like

I myself condemn people ganking. I think it’s a dumb thing to do, and yeah, it’ll probably drive people away.

THAT SAID

By going into open, you consent to player interaction, both friendly and hostile. It’s like going human in Dark Souls, sure you can now summon people in for co-op, but you also open yourself to possible hostile invaders. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

OH WAIT

Here in E:D, you can. It’s called private mode. Here, you can do everything you want with your friends, without facing the risk of getting memed on by people mining minerals.

Really, at this point I don’t get all the whining. If FDev wanted something like Eve (as in, getting pretty much nuked in high-sec zones, but all fair game outside of those), they would’ve done so by now. They would’ve cranked those special police units up to eleven. At this point, it’s up to the community to educate new people, countergank as much as possible, and don’t try and trigger those gankers more.

2 Likes

Wauw, you’re really going for the outer reaches. I’m surprised you haven’t reached the point yet were the jump distance between systems is too big.

Off the record, I’ve played a little bit of ED this past week (it’s been months since…)

I’ve sold the python in Colonia, took my trusty Asp Explorer and decided to finish my outer space voyage by visiting the center of the universe aka Sagitarius A. I followed your advice by planning my route via neutron stars by supercharging my FSD.

it was 300 jumps (without supercharging) vs 200 (with). I’m currently half-way there (only 100 more to go).

By the way, I like the new updates but how much more stuff are they gonna add where I need to button map. >.<

Also the detailed surface scan is a bit confusing. Any good videos out there that explains how it works?

0 Likes

OMG so many buttons, I know.

Dunno who makes the best video. I only know of Obsidian Ant’s. DSS towards the end.

Goal is to get 90% coverage with the probes. Each one is pulled in by gravity, then pulses to scan a circular area.

• Aim straight at the planet, it goes straight in.
  • Aim to the side at the little white mark, it’ll come down at the “terminator”, the edge of the planet as seen from your position.
  • Aim away past that mark, it’ll hit the back side of the planet. You need to map a button to reveal the back side so you can see how well you’ve covered it.
  • Aim too far, cursor will say “Miss”.
  • To hit the exact center of the far side, find the white mark, find where it says Miss, then aim about 60-65% of the way out from white mark to Miss.
  • You get a bonus if you use no more probes than the recommended number.

I’m surprised you haven’t reached the point yet were the jump distance between systems is too big.

This ship can jump 56 light years, so no real trouble navigating. Path got pretty jagged in the Formidine Rift though.

1 Like

I’ve come across a wide region where most of the stars are brown dwarf, no-fuel-scooping stars. So much that when I’ve plotted a course, it can come up with a long enough string of these that I’d run out of fuel. I watch the fuel gauge and HUD carefully here, and jump off course to a refueling-friendly star when the tank gets too low.

2 Likes

Left those brown dwarf ‘badlands’ behind, looks like. I’m now skirting the lamentably-named Bovomit permit-locked sector.

1 Like

@ArPharazon @LordDerp I read recently that there won’t be any major content updates for E:D until 2020. That’s a bit disappointing.

0 Likes

It is. Part of the reason I decided to take a break again. I was already feeling a bit burned out on the game, but that kinda sealed the deal for me.

I have faith in FDev pulling off an amazing update, but until then, I’ll be wasting my time with Warframe :joy:

1 Like