The Elite Dangerous thread

Ready and waiting.

I forgot to bring a Xeno scanner. :man_facepalming:

Gnosis was hyperdicted after only 12 LY, and is now disabled and besieged by Thargoids. They attacked me before I could even get a look at them. I escaped, but now what? The mission has failed. Can’t fight more than a Scout or two in this ship. Go home?

The Gnosis orbits this ammonia world. The area is teeming with more non-human signal sources than I’ve ever seen.

Kotaku has the story of the botched delivery of this event, if you’re interested. The dev screw-ups notwithstanding, I can live with what happened lore-wise.

My experience as an outside can be summed up as:
Canon: “we want to go there”
FDev: “You can try, sure”
Community: “HYYYYYYPPPPPPEEEEEE
FDev: “Entire region is filled with Thargoids though…”
Community: “HYYYYYYYPPPPPPEEEEEE
FDev: “Including new interceptors…”
Community: “HYYYYYYPPPPPPPEEEEEEE
FDev, in-game: “As such, we’re locking the entire sector”
Community: “the jump is still on though right?”
FDev: “the attempted jump is still planned yes”
Community: “HYYYYYYPPPPPPEEEEE
Thargoid beacon pops up near the Gnosis
Community: “HYYYYYYPPPPPPEEEEE
Jump fails, Gnosis sieged by Thargoids
Community: “FDev, WHAT THE FUCK YOU LYING LIARS SCREW FDEV IM GOING BACK TO PLAYING ROBLOX”

Apparently, Canon already started hyping the jump before the got confirmation from FDev. I like how FDev, instead of just putting their foot down and being accused of ‘godmodding’, they decided to weave it into the narrative; I’m 100% sure that if this hadn’t happened, the new Interceptor variant (the Hydra) would’ve just started appearing like the other variants did. And here we are, with a bombastic way of fully introducing them.

Could they’ve handled it a bit better? Of course. But I find it quite jarring that people are constantly complaining that the Goid stuff is so much on the background, that you need to actively seek it out, and when we do get them as an actual threat to more than just AX hunters, people are complaining about it. True NIMBY mentality right there :unamused:

You make perfectly fair points in my opinion. While I had hoped this was something Frontier had been waiting for us to do, and that we might uncover new mysteries in the locked-off region, this is a valid outcome. We poked our noses in the hornets’ nest. I was prepared for it to be a one-way trip. It turned out to be something else.

The early Galnet post and the bugs (swiftly fixed) didn’t help put people in a good frame of mind to embrace what happened; rather they contributed unfortunately to Frontier’s bumbling reputation.

But I find it quite jarring that people are constantly complaining that the Goid stuff is so much on the background, that you need to actively seek it out, and when we do get them as an actual threat to more than just AX hunters, people are complaining about it. True NIMBY mentality right there :unamused:

Quite right. People have also specifically asked for major battles around stations or megaships – and here one is!

Aye, the bugs and stuff were indeed a problem, and I don’t condone that (so to say). But I mean, it’s the thought that counts right?

Given this place has some explorers…

The thing I’m most interested in:

Remove Random USS Spawning: You will now be able to use your skill to locate signal sources rather than rely on luck. you will have the ability to identify a USS from anywhere in the system and then explore and discover these locations.

If this means I can reliably track down High Grade Emissions, I might actually get back to my heavy engineering bouts. Getting CDC has severely burned me out on anything engineering related :confused:

I have been holding off on exploration because I knew something like this was coming in the Q4 update. But I hadn’t seen this posting yet, great catch! Will read!

My response:

I should really play this game…

Yeah, I’ve been thinking the same thing. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

:stuck_out_tongue: