[Stage 2 Kali Update] The Lost Variants - Fan Art and Accumulated Information Since The End Of Evolve

stage2

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see the fabled lost heroes and monsters brought to life through Shika’s art, but it’s probably about time to cut our losses, especially with no new updates in what, like two or three months?

Cut them both some slack…being a mod is difficult work, and more time consuming than you’d imagine. Same goes for being an artist.

Nobody is arguing against that. I’m just saying I’m not gonna wait forever. I’m not trying to sound entitled, I just think it’s illogical to assume that there’s still work being conducted when there have been no updates and they have gone very far out of the time frame they had established between the Phantom and War updates. Whatever they decide to do is up to them, and I’m cool with it no matter what. :slight_smile:

The lack of anus could also be a graphical choice. Most animals in games seem to lack butt holes.

I obviously can’t speak for Takran when it comes to this, but I personally would still very much like to continue working on these.

The fact that I still have nothing new to show for after such a long time makes me feel really bad, believe me. Making people wait on art has always stressed me out. But these are still commissions and not a personal project that I can just willy-nilly work on. Takran was generous enough to pay me for them, so he gets full say in how they should look, just like all my commissioners would.
Sadly the poor guy had such an immense amount of work dropped on him that I haven’t heard from him in months, hence the lack of updates.

It’s been a while since he hasn’t showed up, like you said. The news are just enough for me to keep my patience until the next month. I go to this thread only once every 1-2 month(s), and when I visit it, I’m like “Hey, it’s been a moment since this thread didn’t get any news. I wanna know what’s up now”.

But don’t worry Shika, there’s artists who have worse case scenarios than you do, artists who lost their community just because they take too long to do their stuff. Here it’s the TRS community, and you can be sure that no one would forget about you and will always love you, even when you’re super busy.

Shhhhhh, lets not discuss monster anal cavities.:two_hearts:

I feel, it’s cool, don’t feel bad. No one is trying to go at your throat, we just really like your art work and wish we could see more, lol. I understand though, you guys are busy with your own lives. It’s all good in the hood.

I had to look up the context, that looked very weird >.>

The timing on this is funny, I literally was just thinking about this and sent you a long message asking if you were still interested after I so rudely made you wait. Also, I wanted to confirm that you got the payment for it.

But please don’t feel bad. This is 1000000% my fault. I’ve been working idiotic hours and have been sick almost constantly since December. I feel bad for leaving you waiting so dang long. I’ve been so out of it, it suuucked. I’m sorry for leaving you hanging like that!

I am finally on the road to being alive and functional again, and I’m good to continue if you are! I have the revision references ready to send as of right now. We can talk on that private thread to work out details!

@Dovahkick @Rapterror
Thank you two very much for the super kind words and your understanding! <3
You have no idea how much that means to me!

Oh I absolutely am still interested!
I wouldn’t call it rude, though. Life just got in the way of things, that’s not your fault whatsoever! No need to apologize. Glad to see you back around, though!
I sent you a reply on tumblr so we can get the art revision on the road : D

Just a bit of kind words here and there and BOOM we fixed the thread!

It’s what I do, baby.

Ladies and gentlemen, the update is live! All my thanks go to @Shika for hanging in there and making this possible!

Kali

Also tentatively called Kala or Kalea

Art Direction:

Kali was one of the most detailed pieces of scrapped concept art, so we got a pretty good idea of what she’d look like. The design intent was for her to have elements of every other monster, and to have advanced beyond them all. For colors, we know from her hunter form that she has a heavily kraken and wraith inspired palate. For her glow, I chose bright yellow to make her armor glow and central eye stand out with as much intensity as possible. Also, it bears mentioning that the large glowing central eye is designed to have the silhouette of what used to be Kala’s human body.

The amazing art Shika created is of a stage 3 Kali. At some point, I intend to commission the stage 2 and 1 versions based on other concept art and descriptions from the development team. In my mind, her stage 1 form would be very humanoid, her stage 2 would look like a mishmash of every monster, and her stage 3 below would look like something that has evolved beyond a mish-mash of everything else into it’s own supremely powerful form.

Significant Reference Images Used For This Art:

The main piece of Kali art released to the public showing her in her most powerful state.

More Kali concept art (along with other monster concepts), likely at stage 2. Used to fill in the details blurred in the shadows of her stage 3 art above.

“We had some concepts…but nothing finalized. Think Kraken mixed with Wraith.”
[[Aesthetic Comment by GentlemanSquirl]] (The Final Evolve Livestream Q & A)

Abilities:

Kali had a very complex ability set. Bear with me.

1. ??? (Instance A) - Used to encode an ability.
  2. ??? (Instance B) - Used to encode an ability.
  3. ??? (Instance C) - Used to encode an ability.
  4. ??? (Ability Invocation) - Reads the sequence of all her other abilities, and recalls an ability of another monster based on the pattern chosen.

Passive: Unknown - I speculate this would have had some kind of passive benefit to things like attack, speed, or defense depending on the current configuration of her instances.

Traversal: Mimic-Jetpack - As a hunter turned monster, Kali would have had a jetpack style traversal that was mechanically the same as when she was Kala.

Ok, so this requires a bit more explaining than most kits. It is based largely on The Invoker Hero from DotA2. you use the first three abilities to create a code that the fourth ability combines to make a move. For example it may have looked something like this:

1-1-1 Meteor Goliath’s Fire Breath
1-1-2 = 1-2-1 = 2-1-1 Gorgon’s Acid Spit
1-1-3 = 1-3-1 = 3-1-1 Goliath’s Rock Throw
1-2-2=2-2-1 = 2-1-2 Kraken’s Lightning Strike
1-2-3 = 1-3-2 = 2-1-3 = 2-3-1 = 3-1-2 = 3-2-1 Elder Kraken’s Banshee Missile
1-3-3 = 3-1-3 = 3-3-1 Wraith’s Warp Blast
2-2-2 Phantom Wraith’s Super Punch
2-2-3 = 2-3-2 = 3-2-2 Behemoth’s Rock Wall
2-3-3 = 3-2-3 = 3-3-2 Glacial Behemoth’s Deep Freeze
3-3-3 One of Gorgon’s Adaptation’s Abilities

This would give Kali the widest and most complex movepool of any monster (10 attacks vs every other monster’s 4). Because the way you’d have to code then strike each time you’d use an ability, you’d really have to think ahead on your moves, but the potential for power would have been staggering.

Developer Quotes On Abilities

“Kala or Kalea was going to be an invoker style monster that used the abilities of other monsters(She mixed a bunch of monster DNA and injected it into herself, so it kind of fit). She would have 3 ability buttons when used in different combos produced unique effects. So if you hit, 1-1-3 you may get flame breath, 2-3-2 may give you rockwall. We would have made the abilities slightly different than their real counter parts, but largely the same. She would have been a very versatile monster.”
[[Final Evolve Livestream discussion with GentlemanSquirl]] ( The Final Evolve Livestream Q & A )

“Hunter dodge and hover.
Edit - that’s what we were going to try. Nothing set in stone all just spaghetti on the wall. We didn’t get that far with her, so I don’t know.”
[[Traversal discussion with GentlemanSquirl]] ( What would be Kali’s Traversal? )

Story:

We don’t have a perfect image of Kala/Kali’s story, but given several breadcrumbs along all the released information, I will piece together the best image I can.

Kala inevitably succumbed to the monster HNA taking over her system. It is fair to speculate that she somehow escaped The Crew around the time of the phantom wraith hunt, but remained half lucid as her inner monster took over. In this time, she completed her research and found the truth behind the monster attacks (everything from what they are, how they operate, their intentions, and what motivates them), leaving clues behind for The Crew to find and use to end the apocalypse. She finally lost her humanity completely, her evolution initiating The Cataclysm and changing the way other monsters adapted to fight humans. Her body acts as a sort of biological terraforming unit that optimizes our world for the creation and evolution of new monsters. It is this effect that makes The Deepest Dark so nasty - it is all a product of Kala’s presence. During the Deepest Dark, Hyde finds her research notes and uses them to help try and stop the spread of the monsters and to try to kill Kali herself. She meets her end at Hyde’s hands, ending the spread of corruption in our reality and leading into the Extinction Era.

Developer Quotes and Details on Story

So while the Monsters are spreading out into the universe, we have Hyde, his Mutants, the Shear weak points in space and Kala. Caira was right, Kala was losing her shit and changing into something bad (I was starting to design Kala’s variant, which was going to be a monster with access to more than 4 abilities…think Invoker from dota). Kala is a catalyst of sorts, the DNA in living things around her slowly twists and molds into something more friendly to our invaders. Imagine she is a planet teraformer of sorts, but for living things. Hyde’s a tough SOB and there is no way anything is gonna kill him. So while he is fighting to close these weak points, he is always slowly changing into something like Kala (We were going to put a mask on him, because his face was turning). Hyde also meets up with other folks that are mutating as well. These guys would have been variants and new characters. We had some real fun off the wall designs. Eventually, he would have killed Kala and closed the Weak points.
[[From the End of Evolve Q&A]] ( The Final Evolve Livestream Q & A)

Hyde’s mutant group using Kala’s research.
[[From the End of Evolve Q&A]] ( The Final Evolve Livestream Q & A )

Next up: Depends on the mood! I’ll update this as soon as I have my next set of resources together.**

(**I promise it won’t take all of eternity this time :stuck_out_tongue: )

Well worth the wait! Phenomenal as always, Shika, and astute as per the usual Takran.

That’s fucking nasty and I love it.

Seriously loving this thread!

Worth the wait!!!

ChloeExcitemoney

Seriously, this manages to make me both happy to see what could’ve come of my favourite hunter’s arc, but at the same time so damn sad I didn’t get to play it ;-;