Sooo I need some community input

In terms of the map and how sometimes the game could turn into a running simulator, you could add weather effects that are harmful to the monster or both the hunter and the monster that closes of a section of the map if the Intensity lv has dropped too much (intensity lv would drastically increase at stage 2 because its probaby ok for the monster to run at least at stage 1, but fights should happen at stage 2)

could also bring back the tracking trapjaws, if the monster isn’t quiet enough when it walks by a trapjaw nest/cave/territory it aggravates them, and after a certain amount of time passes they will start running towards the monster and just take its next kill. If the Hunters see them they can follow them.

Weather effects could include hail storms, poison fog, forest wild fires, a horde of aggressive wildlife, floods…ect

this would close off and area to the Monster and decrease the amount of space to run which increases the chance of an encounter.

I think you should bring the parachute camera ammo back, you could make it a switch able tool for the hunters between a smaller radius planet scanner and parachute cameras

8B9443_116E8AE2CDFC2_000

3 Likes

I thought the movement was fine.

Have different level difficulty characters. OW has it and it’s working with the player retention.

I would love for more verticality, and more maps with large indoor portions. I loved the level design for Evolve, but I did crave a map with half or more of the map being in a large indoor facility, and not like Broken Hill.

Slim and Sunny irked me from a design perspective, and I would have had Kraken play a little differently too. Maybe make him a ground CC monster but with his tentacles to increase his melee range.

Even though he was my favorite monster, spamming attacks from the sky seemed kinda dull.

My best take on this idea would to have a meter in tab or a scoreboard, that shows the likeliness of who would win. Then it tries to autobalance accordingly, however that aspect seems difficult and it might make a lot ot people upset.

A much simpler approach would be to have certain cutoffs, like power levels. Once a player is above power level 20 or so, then they get put into a pool of legacy and skilled veterans. That way they aren’t stomped when starting, and can learn the game.

As for my main points of focus, it would be the level design and other character concepts.

I really want to see an indoor-outdoor very spacy map, but I also want to see characters with diverse kits from what we’ve already seen, like how dynamic Emet was compared to the other supports.

I wouldn’t recommend making an Emet-like character, but I’ll see if I got any ideas I can put forward about a unique support/medic idea.

I’ll be honest, I loved every single second of legacy. The only thing that I’d ever change would be the wraith stealth eat strategy being so goddamn good.

I agree with the different lv of difficultly characters, LoL also has that set up. I also agree w/ u on the maps.

How did Slim and Sunny irk u? The fact that Slims spore cloud negates smelling and Sunny’s shield drones shielding for too much despite being a deploy-able with multiple units?

when u say make Kraken a ground CC monster what do u mean? that if he’s on the ground his abilities will apply some sort of CC to hunters?
In terms of spamming basic attacks from the sky the best change would be to HEAVILY nerf the ranged basic attacks so they deal much less damage than his light attacks (and maybe make him have to aim them)

the Autobalance isn’t such a great idea for this game i don’t think. In LoL they have a feature called Rubberbanding: where if the losing team is very far behind then the game increases their gold income a bit from kills so they can buy items a little faster which makes them stronger. It helps give a fighting chance, so the game isn’t so stompy.
In Evolve the only thing I can think is that the losing team gets their damage buffed a little bit, but then thats basically punishing the monster for doing well i think.
Instead I would have the hunter’s damage grow a small amount over the course of the game. Every time a hunter takes a down or is killed their damage growth stat gets reduced by a bit. This way the Hunters are rewarded by surviving and the Monster is rewarded for taking them down. But its not OVER if the Hunters take a down they will just not be as strong at a certain a point in the game later on. But a possible balance issue with Evolve was that the Monster gets stronger over the course of the game but Hunters don’t this could solve that issue.

In terms of unique support/medic ideas i have done a few Hunter designs myself tho im more of a monster designer.

sooo i still make monster ideas…is it ok if i post them here?

The Salamander

SUMMARY
The Salamander is unnerving monster to say the least. Uncannily it carries out most of its activities while completely comatose able to sense, move and take out prey. But don’t let its normally sumbering nature fool you, if awakened it will unleash its other nature from the energy it’s been saving: a baleful beast with a fiery temper that will make you rue the day you decided to take it on, it will roll over you with a flurry strikes and until all its attackers are dead. In either state it turn its surroundings into a swamp-like area bubbling and seething with gas that leaks from its skin as it when spends time just beneath the surface of the ground.

BIOLOGY
The Salamander looks like it spend most of its time trawling through sewage and rotting plant material, the skin on its back and outer parts of its limbs is sporadically covered with segmented armor that has a thick almost wood-bark like texture, between the armor and its underside it has warty bumpy skin that is slick with some type of mucus.
Its armor is especially thick around the shoulder and neck area creating a sort of shell, where surprising it features two heads. Only one head is out of this semi-shell and active at a time. One head seems to always be asleep, but when it retracts into the shell the other head appears and its fiery eyes blaze with what only can be described as a groggy, baleful fury. Its eyes are sunken into its skull which protects them while burrowed and gives its face a sinister look. One side of each head is slightly flattened from rubbing against each other.
It has a serpentine lizard body structure with four legs and two arms though it spends most of its time on all six limbs limbs. Its tail is fat and weighty acting as a counterbalance for when it stands on its hind legs in combat.
It also appears that it may be able to breath through its skin or at least it is permeable, as it has the ability to forcefully expel gas through its skin, if enough mucus has built up on its skin this will result in a flurry of bubbles. The gases contained within these bubbles are extremely volatile and explosively react if the mucus barrier is ruptured to introduced oxygen.
The side of its abdomen from its shoulder to hips features a layer of wrinkled skin which functions like a lateral line allowing the monster to sense vibrations while underground.
The back features a long tube that appears to look like plant life at a quick glance, but is actually a breathing orifice, this is used when the monster is burrowing underground to breathe. With each stage its back rises more and more out of the ground when it’s burrowed. At stage one only its nose can be seen, at stage 3 a large portion of its back can be seen looking like a huge mound of dirt. While this monster has a very high amount of amor almost rivaling the Behemoth, comparatively its health is very low.

Armor
8/10/13
6/7/8

PASSIVE: Sleeping Giant: This monster enters a sleep state while above 25% armor, causing it to take 5% reduced dmg. When the monsters Armor is destroyed, it will Wake losing the dmg reduction but gaining 5% BA dmg and 5% MS towards Hunters.

TRAVERSAL - Burrow
The Salamander digs just beneath the ground gaining MS at the expenditure of its stamina gauge. It costs the Salamander a small portion of this gauge to start burrowing. While burrowing it can pass through wildlife, plant and Hunter units, can also climb while underground. Burrowing leaves disturbed earth for a short duration, and it always leaves slightly disturbed earth on top of it around its nose.
Coding workarounds: make monster unit completely invisible, and modify the ground’s appearance at and behind it’s location, and make it ignore unit collision.

ABILITIES
Methane Bubbles
Salamander releases a swarm of bubbles from its skin that float in the air around and ahead of it. If hunters or wildlife deal enough damage to them, touch them or the monster BA’s them, they explode dealing AoE damage. (Awake: grants 10% AS for each bubble hit)

Hallucination
Salamander yawns/roars dealing damaging in a cone ahead of it, releasing a cloud of gas around it that reduces sight radii and slows hunters and jet packs by 25% (Sleep: deals DoT, gains 2% damage reduction within the AoE).

Sleepwalk
Salamnder shed its skin forming a controllable clone out of it, leaving its body, which takes reduced damage. Re-activation causes the Salamander to follow the same path and actions (abilities, BA’s) bursting Bubbles in your wake. (Awake: no dmg reduction, recast moves at 2x/2.5/3x speed). Clone can use Traversal, Rumble and BA, but doesn’t burst Bubbles.

Rumble
Salamander immediately rolls to the right or left, if underground it damage knock the 1st unit it touches into the air (Awake: will damage and knock all units in an AoE into the air)

Design Concept
This monster is normally in a deep sleep and resists damage while it still moves subconsciously, if awoke it becomes a berserker and loses defenses.

Combos
bubbles, gas, sleepwalk, rumble
Awake-> bubble, sleepwalk, BA, rumble, BA

Inspiration: volcanoes, swamps, swamps creatures, sleep, sleeping snot bubbles, morning breath, rolling over in sleep, two face, people getting mad when they get woken up, berserker

5 Likes

If you drew that by yourself, great job.

3 Likes

i did thank you

3 Likes

Movement; Aside from the older issues of getting stuck on a tree branch, I thought both monster and hunter movement made sense for what the game was trying to accomplish. Monster had the mobility advantage, but not so much that the hunters couldn’t catch him if they were communicating and thinking.

Skill-floor; Hard one for me to quantify. As it’s been previously mentioned, communicating is key for the hunters. I think that needed to be somehow stressed. Granted, not every player in the world actually wants to talk, but being a hunter is truly co-op. But, for both monster and hunters, more tutorials, and maybe some more fleshed out ai to practice against. Harder opponents tend to produce better learning, and a lot of people do like to practice against bots.

Environments; Both, imo. Stage 2 made the levels more accessible in some ways, but seriously crippled the sneak game with the orbital scan and removal of a lot of foliage. I think a balance was needed.

Individual Characters; One thing that would have helped is if the dev team was better able to adjust balance. I know some environments of play restricted how often changes could be made. The balance changes were often huge, making the game either completely monster favored, or completely hunter favored. One thought I had for monsters is that they could have 1 or 2 more abilities and maybe 2 passive options, and after you see the hunter comp you’re up against you can tailor your ability choices for that. Aggressive chase comp? Include more traversal-like abilities. Damage comp? Go damage as well. Balanced comp? Be balanced. Or, just always pick your favorites. To give the same flexibility to the hunters, maybe have each hunter possess 2 or 3 passive abilities they can choose after they know what they’re facing. Then perks are picked after all that…? It’s a thought.

Power gaps; I don’t have any thoughts on this section at this time. It’s gone from feeling just right, to terrible, to “oh my god I’m so powerful”. Just a lot of testing and tweaking needed.

There’s my 2 cents worth. Thanks for reading.

1 Like

should i post my other monster ideas here even if i haven’t gotten around to drawing them yet?

2 Likes

You’re free to do whatever you want. It’s what’s in your heart that matters for you.

4 Likes

The Hammerhead

Theme: Wrath

Passive: Comet - falling from any height will deal damage in an AoE around her. The greater the height/air time/speed at impact, the bigger the AoE, and damage will be

Traversal: ramjet - charges a dash, reducing its movement speed for a short duration. The longer the charge the faster and longer the dash. Knocks back and damages Hunter, wildlife, and plant units. Once in the air it will glide down to the ground. Consumes stamina based on charge time. In combat it falls much faster. Hyper Beam fully charged will knock u back a bit if in the air

Hyper Beam: Hammerhead charges up and blasts powerful beam knocking itself back a bit and slowing its movement speed, blasting anything in the beams travel path as it fires in the direction it faces over the next few seconds. The ray’s trajectory updates itself over the duration to face the cursor. The beam deals damage in 0.25 seconds intervals to enemies caught in its wake, and slows them by 20% for 1 second. Hunter’s and Wildlife arc with plasma for a few seconds after being damaged

Dive Bomb: Hammerhead shoots into the air where it hangs for a short duration as it lurches its head back projecting a field of energy in a cone directed at the ground that pulls in hunters and wildlife around it and from the ground it and slows them before throwing itself into the ground.

Concussive Roar: Hammerhead rears up and lets a bone rattling screech, jarring hunter screens and stunning them for a short duration if within basic attack distance

Sonic Strikes: Hammerhead gains additional basic attack speed for the duration. All of its basic attacks send out waves of energy in a cone in the direction its facing that increase in damage on each basic attack up to the third one before resetting.

got a bit lazy with this one since most of the work was already done, working on the monster that represents Pride now

woops forgot to credit the original art creator

8 Likes

What and or Whom grafted robotic like wing appendages to it?

I like to know reasons for design choices and everything is always done with a reason.

So I am curious why this creature has fake wing bones? is it part of the story or is it… “looks cool” type of drawing. (looks bad ass btw).

But I want to get into the mind of the character. It’s like a hammerhead dragon biped that also has opposing thumbs, so I am guessing this is an intelligent race and that this was self inflicted wing upgrades?

1 Like

It was originally a created sketch of a potential monster or character for Evolve. A lot of their future plans seemed to include cybernetics.

2 Likes

I don’t remember where I read it but you’re familiar with the theory that monsters are from a different dimension right? When their essence enters our dimension it takes on a form using the materials around it and kinda like Transformers they mimic their surroundings to a degree with this proxy puppet body, and like transformers they can learn from their environment. Eventually in the future they discover that robotics exist and start modifying their puppet bodies to have robotic parts when they enter our dimension

2 Likes

ive been thinking about bob recently and how to fix some of the issues he had, b4 i get into it anyone have any input on Behemoth?

Erm, a bit late at this point. No?

i mean i dont think theres such a thing, i didn’t work at TRS so theres very little chance my ideas would have been used even if i’d come up with them while Bob was still in development, and we had been teased of his upcoming release.

@Shamont

Sadly I think it’s best to bring your ideas to 2K Support (https://support.2k.com/hc/en-us) since Evolve is no longer being worked on by Turtlerock as the contract with 2K Games has ended.

2K, as a publisher, is now the rightsholder to the IP Evolve.

That being said, since you’re here, if you happen to have any ideas for Back 4 Blood (the new Zombie :zombie: IP from Turtlerock) feel free to let us know in this thread here: Back 4 Blood suggestions

Other than that, we will now close this topic.

2 Likes