So, I'm making a game

The final project in my game engine development class is to, of course, build a game.

I was hoping for some ideas from the community to help me out. I have to basically have the entire game planned out before class this Tuesday, so I can give a presentation on the game idea, so this will be a brief collection of ideas.

Here’s some restrictions:

1. I have about 3 weeks total to work on it. I’m just one man.
  2. This is a 2D game.
  3. I need to use light sources.
  4. Based on engine physics limitations, the game world will likely be top-down, or in other words, the characters will have all four directions of movement, rather than being pulled down to the bottom of the screen by gravity. e.g. In the style of Galaga, compared to Mario.
  5. I can’t have guns or bullets (but apparently someone had an icecream truck shoot sharp-looking ice cream cones at kids last quarter, and they didn’t get punished, so… we can be creative).

If I can finish my game and it’s functional, then it will be posted on a website, and I will share a link to it from here so that you can revel in my crappy game designing skills.

Please help me brainstorm! :smiley:

Well i have a game i wanted to make as well, can you have an outside partner?
because if i can help you and put something in my portfolio i would love to share the idea and help build it!

although my idea is not top down :pensive:

I understand if outside help is against the rules, i will think of more stuff to help out with though.

create a puzzle game involving shadows and some lit areas that you have to use to solve the puzzle.

im thinking something like Laser Logic http://www.amazon.com/The-Laser-Game-Khet-2-0/dp/B000BVLBD8 but things like the mirror and stuff are hidden in the dark and you use the laser to activate lights to reveal small areas to try and figure out where some of the hidden mirrors and things are.

up/down = select object
left/right = angle/turn object (counterclockwise, clockwise)

What engine do you use btw?

^ This, it’s rather important.

Creating a 2d game in 3 weeks is easy, I’m just curious as to how you’re supposed to go about it. If there’s no hard limits to the project, even something simple as GameMaker will do and will save you a lot of time as well.

As far as brainstorming for ideas go - pick something extremely simple.
Just go about your usual day and try to focus on little things.

• A bird flying in the air.
  • Riding home.

Simple stuff. Then make the game about that. I don’t think I need to tell you that 3 weeks is not enough to create complicated story lines. Take a minimalistic approach to the subject of your game.

A very common example I see in beginner game development is air travel. Like a kid with balloons that you steer left and right while he automatically goes up.
Or a plane that automatically goes right and you can steer it up or down.

Perhaps something like that?
You can easily implement atmospheric light sources to that if you make it night time.

Yepp.
Just this last weekend I was a part of a 48 hour long game jam. We didn’t manage to finish though because we hit some sort of limit with how many polygons we could move in unity (it was a 3D wall puzzle game), but other than that making a simple puzzle game is actually pretty easy.

Bucket’s UAV adventure. Sidescroller, his eye shoots cupcakes to “feed” the angry wildlife in his way, his eye also lights the caves that he has to explore. The ultimate goal is to find the monster, all in vain to be greeted by the team who tells him “Sorry Bucket, the monster is in another area!”

Eh, eh?

What about a game that takes place in Midieval Europe and focuses on the player exploring a castle to kill off monster’s like goblins, ghost, etc.? Final bids is a dragon.
Not that original but you could do some cool stuff with the lighting.

@This_Is_VALHALLA Technically there’s nothing stated against it, however, I’m probably not allowed to team up with people outside my class. :wink:

@The_Mastermind Oh, do like. It seems like it will be an interesting challenge to do light sensitivity. I was originally thinking of something similar to this, and then a different idea that came to mind was a sort of horror game where you control a person with only a flashlight, and black scary things home in on you while you try to go from point A to point B. The flashlight scares them away, but it runs out of power and you have to collect more batteries throughout the level.

@MrTalha MY engine. The one I built this quarter. Technically it’s the specified game engine that the class has been making all quarter - it’s fairly weak, and is missing numerous typical tools and abilities (this is the point). The real project is that we, as students, have to modify the game engine extensively in order to create our own game out of it.

@Rick Minimalistic is probably the best approach, I agree. Air travel / Flying could make things easier (why I referenced Galaga in the OP). The power to turn off the sun will be something to consider.

@ToiletWraith That’s actually a pretty cool but very simple-seeming idea. Honestly I like it quite a bit, and it might expose people to Evolve. At the very least I can say “I made this game because Evolve is cool and you should check it out” and then we can collectively pubstomp them day 1 and ruin their lives. Mwahahahahahaha!

@BearStream Sounds cool, but complicated. We’re probably supposed to have no violence (even though I did only say “no guns or bullets”). For all I know sword and board is fine - I’ll be sure to ask the prof. today.

Feel free to take it or adapt it, I don’t mind XD

Yeah, that is understandably going to make it a lot more work.

It’d be interesting to see something with a flashlight mechanic. Maybe a Contra style game where instead of a gun you have a beam of light. A child fighting off nightmares or something else of that ilk. :slight_smile:

Similar to a previous idea I had. I semi-outlined it to T-M. If it’s top-down, the child can be gender neutral easily, and the whole light vs scary dark things should be pretty easy to understand.

Now I’m torn between that and the Bucket Adventure though. Both seem interesting to make for very different reasons.

Sounds good, but I don’t quite understand how a game engine’s physics can allow 8-directional movement from top down with collision checking just fine but be too limited for gravity. What gives?

Gravity in 2d games is nothing more than an exponentially increasing speed value downwards, reset only by the same collision check you would use in a top down game for walls that are at 6 o’clock.

Because we don’t have a system built in to drag things towards the bottom of the screen. It’s simpler to not affect the objects in the game world rather than constantly affect them and check their position against boundaries.

I feel like it wouldn’t be difficult to implement that kind of thing, but my prof. wanted to seriously warn us that implementing it would be a huge challenge, and he didn’t want us to work sleepless nights to get it running. I’m just deferring to his advice against implementing gravity. Maybe there’s something we’re both missing? The answer probably lies in the skeleton of a game engine I have with me. :stuck_out_tongue:

:stuck_out_tongue:
<lolololol

Er uh um…

not what you said. :wink:

I have no idea what you’re talking about. You’re probably an escapee of a mental institute somewhere. Security these days is just terrible…

How did you know? :grimacing: