Sledge's Chicklet Thread

I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to eat something I raised lol

It wasn’t an easy call. I did try to re-home my Poad. He was my favorite baby chick of the bunch, and I could find nobody who would take him and NOT eat him. I tried to keep him with my flock but they basically kicked him out, and he got attacked by the other rooster. Stress on the hens would prevent them from laying so I couldn’t have fights every day. I had to get rid of him before their spurs grew in. At least with me, it was a very quick end.

However, I am getting birds just for raising for meat…those I don’t plan to get attached to like I did to Poad.

You should have gave him a hobo stick and sent him on his way

That was suggested, actually. I considered simply releasing him…but we have a LOT of wildlife out here that eats chickens for fun. Most people who own chickens out here don’t own them for long simply because they try to free range them and they get picked off. We have bald eagles, red tail hawks, foxes and coyotes, roaming wild dogs, bobcats, and raccoons…all of which eat chickens. The thought of him starving to death alone or being mauled to pieces was more upsetting to me than killing him myself humanely.

Tomorrow I am on call for chick day! I need to be ready to jump up and go pick up my chicks!

There’s more news as well. I have slowly been acclimating my current flock to allow for some free range time outside of their run. They are pretty good now about finding their way back to their coop. Mistakes are still being made and they get stuck in the pig pen a lot which requires me to rescue them…but…generally they are learning and are providing me with even more eggs than before.

So when do Chicklets become chicken tenders?

In the case of the Cornish Cross I am buying…6-9 weeks old. The others…unless they turn out to be roos, they will live natural lives.

The chicks have arrived guys! I have 5 Cinnamon Queens, 5 Black Astrolorps, and 5 Cornish Cross (which are separated from the rest).

The Astrolorps and Queens:

The Cornish Cross (not under a red bulb lamp like the others since my other red one just burnt out-go figure):

I didn’t modify the size of these photos…sorry they may be huge. I also need to return again to the store to pick up more later. I am going to try to get a Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Cuckoo Maran, and perhaps a Blue Silkie.

So cute.

/end satire
edit:: I paid for my sin. While holding a ceramic plate… it just exploded in my hand and shattered everywhere. So no more tenders jokes.

Kawaii! :sparkles:

Somebody got to the store before me and bought ALL of the Buff Orpingtons…all of them…had to be like 50+ chicks. And on top of that they didn’t have a blue silky. A silky is the kind with a pom pom on its head:

I really wanted one…they make me laugh so hard!

Oh well…I got 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Cuckoo Marans, and 1 Speckled Sussex…they will look like these (in order):

My Current Flock at one year old:

The New Flock!

I’m hungry.

When you grab one of those chicklets, are they fluffy? It’s been so long since I last grabbed one myself, I must’ve been like 8 or 10y I think.

Oh yeah, super fuzzy soft.

Been dealing with one chick that has a prolapsed vent…which is a 50/50 type of situation which can lead to death now or later in life. I don’t know how it occurred but it started to cry and couldn’t expel any poop. My husband and I took about 45 minutes attempting to dislodge the hard clump that was inside it through the vent…it was very stressing but today is day 2 after that “procedure” and the chick seems to be more active and is eating and drinking again…although I have not seen any poops. I am hopeful the vent muscles will tighten so it retracts and returns to normal, otherwise egg laying could be a life or death situation for the bird when it is older. The chick is one of the cuckoo marans, which I only have 2 of…so I am hoping for the best.