Sledge's Chicklet Thread

Since they never use Box 3 I am thinking the hen laid it while on the jump bar which is right outside Box 3. The egg didn’t break since it hit onto a pile of straw. That is my guess right now. I have a jump bar a foot off the floor, then the roosts…one at 2 1/2 feet off the floor and the other about 3 feet off the floor. I kept the jump bar in there since they seem to prefer using it to help get up there. When they were younger pullets and first introduced to the coop, they never at all used the roosts and I figured putting a bar in there a foot off the floor would encourage them to roost since in the brooder they also had a bar to teach them roosting, which they did use and play on. But, my chickens are so dumb it took a racoon killing one of them before they learned they needed to sleep up high on the roosts.

It’s about time for me to check the boxes again and hope for an egg but it’s raining right now.

YES! I got an egg! I almost didn’t tell it apart from the easter eggs, lol, but it’s there! One of the easter eggs was rolled out of the nest and almost broken in half, but this egg was left alone. It was toasty warm too so she literally just got it out!

So I asked my grandfather earlier today and he said he did encounter such scenarios (although rare) where he simply made crates so the egg would drop out of reach for them (something like a cone shape).

He also used fake eggs, much to what you’re using now, where they couldnt be broken. Both proved effective.

He made the crates themselves. I’m not sure how they look but if needed I can ask for pictures (although it can take a while)

I just got back from Wisconsin. Left on Saturday and collected an egg right at the laying just before leaving town. Arrived back home today fully expecting to not find any eggs (figuring they would break and eat them in 3 days time without collection). I left each box with at least 2 fake easter eggs. To my dismay, relief, and happiness I found 6 intact eggs today! 4 came from Brahmas…2 from Easter Egger. I am hoping that Pikipek the EE re-started laying again…will see since we now got the cameras back up and I can be watching tomorrow. But this also means that another Brahma must be laying because there’s no way Kentucky Fried could have laid that many! The standard is 1 egg per day for 5-6 days then a day or two off. So at most she could have laid 3 of those eggs, but there are 4…some somebody else is laying now too!

It looks like the fake egg plan has worked with success!

It’s been a long time since I posted here. All of my chickens are still doing well, though when it is super cold like it is they don’t lay any eggs for me, causing me to still need to buy eggs at the store…something I really don’t like now that I have chickens. Honestly, it costs a decent amount of money to raise chickens even though it is relatively cheap, considering livestock. Even so, a dozen eggs at WalMart is like 50 cents…

We’ve been debating getting a couple other breeds of chickens for this year and adding to the flock. I’m thinking Black Australorp for winter egg production and my husband is thinking Cinnamon Queens. We may also buy some Cornish Cross specifically for meat.

I am not too keen on the Cinnamon Queens or Rhode Island Reds because of the size of their combs, which may need winter protections.

We caught a fox on our security cams last night nearby to the chicken coop but he didn’t try any funny business. ever since handling the racoon situation we haven’t had issues with them since, but I am personally against killing a fox…that’s right, I’m specist. Deal with it.

Hubby went to Farm and Fleet last night to buy up some pig and chicken food before the snow storm rolled in, and he placed an order for the chickens. Wow, that was fast!

Bought 5 Black Astrolorps:

5 Cinnamon Queens:

and 5 Cornish Cross:

We might have to build a secondary coop to house them, unsure right now. The Cinnamon Queens are sexed at birth easily since females are reddish brown and males are white, so we are guaranteed 5 female pullets. The black Astrolorps will be a toss up so I can presume, based on my prior experience, to probably get 1 male from the 5. They also make great meat birds so no worries there. And the Cornish Cross we bought just for meat.

Cost: $41 for all 15 chicks. This order was put in latter than last year’s time-frame so I HOPE it will be warm enough for them to go outside when they are due to go out, and not stay in my house turning it into a dust bin of feather destruction. I had to clean all of my Nerf guns by hand since they are also on my porch…that was a nightmare. In fact I think I will only keep the chicks inside the house until their feathers start coming in…then we will have to move them into the garage. I will NOT, CANNOT deal with that sheer level of dander and dust again inside but the first couple weeks are critical for chicks, so, they have to be inside under my watch.

Don’t worry, I’ll get pics as soon as I get my chickies again, and some video, when the order comes in.

I’m looking forward to the moment this starts to become a yearly tradition :slight_smile: I love seeing chicklets :stuck_out_tongue: