Seeking advice from computer pro wizards

Hello good people of the Evolve Forums!!!

I’ve been saving up money for a little while now, and am finally in a position to splurge a little bit on a PC!!! Now, I can’t spend much; at least not right now, we recently adopted another kitty and are trying to keep most of our savings for emergencies, car troubles, etc. So we don’t plan on getting a big gaming PC. BUT, earlier this Month on my birthday my friend bought me Starcraft, Legacy of the Void, and it has just been TAUNTING ME, that I can’t play it. So I’m probably going to spend $200-$300 on a gaming laptop, although, I’m not real savvy with computer components, brands and such.

This is probably one of the only games I’ll use the laptop for, not looking to play Evolve or any other huge games on it. Probably just Starcraft, Heroes of the Storm and my girlfriend wants Sims 4. If anyone has any advice on which laptop to go for, it’d be extremely helpful!!!

Legacy of the Void minimum requirements;
PC: Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 • 2 GB RAM • NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT or ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT or Intel HD Graphics 3000
Mac: OS X 10.9 (latest version) • Intel Core 2 Duo • 4 GB RAM • NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M or ATI Radeon HD 4670
PC/Mac: 30 GB available HD space • Broadband Internet connection • Keyboard • Mouse • DVD-ROM drive • 1024x768 minimum display resolution.

Recommended Specifications:
PC: Intel Core i5 or AMD FX Series Processor or better • 4 GB RAM • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 or AMD Radeon HD 7790 or better.
Mac: OS X 10.11 (latest version) • Intel Core i5 or better • 8 GB RAM • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M or AMD Radeon R9 M290X or better

Sorry for the wall of text I don’t fully understand. :sweat_smile:
If I can get the max requirements on my modest budget, I could probably push $350, but if be happy with the minimum requirements. Just hoping to play the game, I played Heart of the Storm on my crappy laptop before it all but blew out on me. I’ve had it for almost 7 years now and it’s just to outdated for anything.

Thank you for reading!!! Any help/advice/suggestions are appreciated!!!

Oh wow, great to see you back. ^^ [Sorry for the off-topic post]

@LaggerCZE @Maddcow @TheMountainThatRoars and @RCSRex Doot your thang

When I make topics, I tend to derail them myself, hahaha. All off topic posts are welcome in my threads. :smile:
It’s great to be back!!!

TW, swooping in to save the day!!! Thank you!!! I didn’t know who to tag. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know these guys seem to be whizkids at computers :smiley:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: *Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($16.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: *Sapphire Radeon R7 360 2GB NITRO Video Card ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $336.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 16:50 EDT-0400

This is on par with X1/PS4, but if you can scrape together another $100 or so it would be well worth it!

Errr wait, laptop? For $300? For gaming?

Do you have a PC already that we could upgrade?

Of course I get a steam message. Of course.

If we’re talking laptops for games, you’re on the edge with that budget. I’m not sure I’d be able to scrape that together properly, even if I built a frankenstein monster by using multiple ded notebooks sold heavily under price… Which you can’t do anyway.

The situation would be sorta passable if you don’t mind a desktop, and even better if you already have an old PC with peripherals we could just swap the critical components into. I’ll have a look if I can find something that meets your request, but no promises.

Not gonna happen. Need $150-200 more minimum.

I’ve never had a PC. :confused:
I wish I did, and while that PC parts site seems really promising, I don’t know the first thing about putting one together.

So like $500? Damn, I was hoping to avoid spending that much.

For a laptop, yes.

We don’t have a lot of space for a desktop, I know that’d be preferable though. We could probably make that work.

Damn, I figured laptops would be cheaper!!

Nope, way more expensive. What kind of TV do you have?

Doesn’t go the same way with gaming ones. They need to be a lot smaller, lighter, figure out cooling, and you’re also paying for the screen, keyboard etc. They tend to be less cost efficient in general.

We thought this one looked promising, it’s got 4 GB RAM. Though it’s hard for me browsing computers when I hardly know what the requirements really mean.

Does it have to be a gaming laptop?

Yes, day to day laptops won’t have the power you need.

You can build a gaming pc and hook it up to your TV, though. No extra room needed.

We’ve got a 32" Element TV. It’s got USB ports and like, 3 HDM cables, I may be able to hook a modem up to it!!! I hadn’t thought about that.