Protocol Error Master Thread

Hi all!

We’re currently trying to figure out what to do with the re-occurring protocal errors that pop up in game. They have been hard for us to track down as the error itself is basically saying “Something somewhere is corrupted,” and we don’t always know where to start, and we haven’t been able to repro them in the office yet.

We’re hoping that if a bunch of you come together and give us info we’ll find a pattern that leads us to a good starting point. (That being said, even though 3 people get the same error message, it may not be the same problem, so we’ll see how long this takes.)

Here’s where you come in:

We’re currently trying to get to the root of this issue, but we’re going to need some details from affected players to get to the bottom of it.

If you are affected please list the following information about what was happening when the issue occurred:

• Platform? (PC/ XBox One/ PS4)

• Were you in single or multiplayer?

• How were you playing? (Quick Play/ Ranked Hunt (MP Only)/ Evacuation/Custom)

• Were game mode were you playing? (Hunt /Defend/ Nest/ Rescue/ Arena/ Defend/ Nest)

• Were there any map/campaign effects on? (None/ Cargo Ship/ Second Monster/ Teleport Gates/ Teleport Rifts/ Clear Skies/ Carnivorous Plants/ Upgraded Jetpacks/Burning Hands/ Support Drones/Tremors/Fair Weather/Storms)

• What character were you playing as?

• What other characters were in the match?

• Do you remember what abilities you had/ perks you had chosen?

• What map were you in?

• Provide a brief description of what was happening when the error occurred, anything notable that happens afterward.

Please list only this information on this thread.

Replies that are do not contain the above info will be flagged as off topic and moved.

Other replies add more for me to go through, and makes it harder for me to sort information on my end and try to find the pattern to fix it.

Thanks for your help! I know this is a lot of information to fill out, and it means so much to me that you’re taking to the time to report it. We want to fix this! I’ll keep you posted with any new info I get.

:yellow_heart::bucket_cute::yellow_heart:

5 Likes

Platform? (PC/ XBox One/ PS4)

PC

Were you in single or multiplayer?

Multiplayer

How were you playing? (Quick Play/ Ranked Hunt (MP Only)/ Evacuation/Custom)

Custom

Were game mode were you playing? (Hunt /Defend/ Nest/ Rescue/ Arena/ Defend/ Nest)

Hunt

Were there any map/campaign effects on? (None/ Cargo Ship/ Second Monster/ Teleport Gates/ Teleport Rifts/ Clear Skies/ Carnivorous Plants/ Upgraded Jetpacks/Burning Hands/ Support Drones/Tremors/Fair Weather/Storms)

None

What character were you playing as?

Trapper class - Griffin and Crow

What other characters were in the match?

Other human player: Lazarus

Do you remember what abilities you had/ perks you had chosen?

75% Fuel Recharge

What map were you in?

The Dam and Broken Hill Mines

Provide a brief description of what was happening when the error occurred, anything notable that happens afterward.

The error seemed to occur right when we found the monster and trapped it, but it soon became clear that it was not predictable, as the game would kick me to the menu at any given time during the game–once before the game even started.

4 Likes

PC
Single
Custom
Hunt, all effects set to default
None
Wraith
Griffin, Slim, Hyde, Tech Sgt. Hank
1 Warp Blast, 1 Abduction, 1 Decoy, 3 star Cooldown Speed
Refueling Tower
I was eating a mammoth bird, still on the first meat.
I was forced entirely out of Evolve and it shut down the process on its own. The message stated it was a problem with cryengine.

1 Like

Xbox One
multiplayer
Quickplay
Defend
None
Behemoth
rogue val, sunny, abe, normal markov
the one with the last point being on a raised platform
I shot the last point directly with a lava bomb, and as it hit I got a context corruption error.

Platform PC

Multiplayer

Ranked Hunt

Hunt

No effects

Cabot

Markov Val Griffin Gorgone or Kraken

75% Jetpack recharge

several maps

Error happend always when the monster is just found and getting trapped or uses first abilitys and mostly against Kraken or Gorgone, the human characters did not seem to matter too much - as it happend in different teams. I always played Cabot. And it seemed to occur not the very first time the monster is seen but after a few seconds of battle or the second time it is trapped on the map.

PS4
Multiplayer
Ranked
Hunt
No effect
Crow
We had Laz, Lennox, and Cabot. The Monster was Goliath and Kraken
I chose JR, everyone else ran HR
Distillery and Fusion Plant
The two times it happened I was in the middle of a fight. On Distillery with Goliath it was in the back area with the pond and “plane” crash.
The Kraken on Fusion Plant was in the back in the forest close to the “UFO” crash. Banshee Mines and Lightning Strike hit me at the same time when it crashed.

PC

multi

ranked hunt

hunt

slag town, there were no environmental effects at the time.

turtle rock gold gorgon

torvald, wasteland maggie(daisy had been killed, i don’t remember if she was dropping in when the error occurred), normal val, and tech hank

i had 3 in acid spit, 3 in spider trap, 2 in web sling, and 1 in mimic. my chosen perk was movement speed, and at the time of the error had the health regen albino ability effecting me.

daisy was dead, i was domed. val had just fallen a moment ago, i had fired a spider trap and tor and maggie were being shielded by tech hank. i was falling towards them and starting using acid spit and then before i landed i was booted out in a moment and saw the protocol error message.

1 Like

One friend (in the states), I managed to fix by making sure the UDP port was open for Evolve. He only had TCP in his Window Firewall settings at the start.

Another friend in Trinidad and Tobogo (carribean), I tried several things… unsure if fix was executed properly, problem persists.

I have never had issues before but got protocol errors on all of my games yesterday, ill post what i remember

Xbox one
Multiplayer
Quick Play
Hunt, Defend, and Arena
no effects
Lazarus, Wasteland Maggie, and Tech Sargent Hank
behemoth and twice Wraith
jet-pack and reload recharge
no idea on map

nothing notable happened. The error was completely random. On arena it kicked me right after the first round on hunt i was a good 10-15 minuets in before i got booted.

It literally doesn’t matter what map or mode I’m on since jacks release I get a protocol error every single time I play multiplayer. I’ve dropped alooot of money into this game and its unplayabe with friends. I’ve contacted 2k and used this forum before and both times was told the issue was solved only to find it wassnt. I’m on ps4. I’m hardlined into my modem but I dont think its an Internet related issue its absolutely the game. Don’t flag this either. I’ve tried to get this fixed to many times. I almost want all my money back.

1 Like

Hi @gubmintch33ze - unfortunately your reply isn’t going to help us fix the issue, which this thread is dedicated to. Could you please revise your response to answer the questions and list the details of at least one specific time you got this error?

If you don’t, I will have no option but to flag it as off topic. Thank you!

4 Likes

No problem. I’m about to play and I’m sure il get an error so ill repost with the right information. Thanks.

6th game tonight
Mode:arena (quick play)
Map:armory
Effects:none
Characters: gorgon, wasteland maggie, laz, torvald,hank.
Abilities: ability cooldown

While playing as gorgon with 3 in web and 3 in acid I killed laz first then torvald then hank. Only wasteland maggie and daisy were left ot was round 1 and as soon as hank died I got.the protocol error.
It was the 6th quick play game I played. Games 1-5
1hunt
2 hunt
3arena
4 hunt
5arena
1emet
2 rogue val
3 rogue val
4 parnell
5lennox
1fusion plant
2medlab
3wraith trap
4medlab
5wraith trap
Worth mentioning this is the longest streak of games I’ve had until an error in months. Guess its a step in the right direction. …right?

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Xbox one
Multiplayer
Ranked hunt
Hunt
No map effects
I was playing as cabot
my teammates were emet, parnell, and abe
I remember i had movement speed, emet had movement speed, and abe had jetpack recharge.

We were in armory

We had just gotten a stage 3 evo dome on a kraken,
and around 1-3 seconds after being put into combat and the dome coming down, me (cabot), emet, and parnell were disconnected. I recieved a context corruption error aswell did emet, but parnell’s game just crashed to dashboard without any error message.
Id also like to mention that my evolve seems to crash more often at the beginning of combat and at the end of it (when the monster is retreating or a hunter escapes).

Just got this on the XB1 for the first time.

Platform? XBox One

Were you in single or multiplayer? Multiplayer

How were you playing? Ranked Hunt

Were game mode were you playing? Hunt

Were there any map/campaign effects on? Nope

What character were you playing as? Wasteland Maggie

What other characters were in the match? Goliath, Rogue Val, Sunny and Hyde

Do you remember what abilities you had/ perks you had chosen? Movement Speed, and I believe everyone else was taking that perk as well

What map were you in? Broken Hill Foundry

Provide a brief description of what was happening when the error occurred, anything notable that happens afterward.

It was the first Ranked match of the night. I had played two Solo rounds before my friends got online.

I got “dashboarded” right when the match started and was sent an invite to rejoin the ranked hunt game. I took it and played for about 2 minutes before I got the “Protocol Error” message and the game crashed again.

I was jetpacking in the air and had just thrown the Mobile Arena when the screen went black (minus the HUD) and then got the error message.

I was also in XB1 Party Chat at the time with three other people.

PS4

Multiplayer

Ranked hunt

Hunt

-

Meteor Goliath

Caira, Hank, Maggie, Hyde and Daisy hehe

Leap smash, charge & fire breath, movement speed

Armory

Nothing really happened afterwards, the error message showed & I got a loss + had to wait a bit to be able to search for a new game…

Xbox one
Laz man
Multiplayer
ranked Hunt
Nope
Hyde jack Hank and Elder kraken
Quick reload
Armoury

Doing nothin special just runnin for the monster!

He hadnt even evolved once and was about 10 minutes into the game

Xbox one
Kelder
Multiplayer
ranked Hunt
Nope
Torvald maggie Sunny val
Ability recharge
The one with river bed down the middle

just runnin as the monster

Maybe 10 minutes into the game, 1 evolve