Hi all. Lots of people were curious about tuning adjustments due to observations, feedback and telemetry gathered from the Beta. I thought it would be cool to share them here.
For Turtle Rock, these changes are part of the normal process. We continually make adjustments to the game and have done so for nearly four years. The thing to keep in mind is that these tuning changes are incredibly simple to make. Ninety percent of the time the change involves opening a file, changing a number value and saving it, so don’t panic if you see something here you don’t like! We can always go back if something doesn’t work out. As such we encourage everyone to keep an open mind and try the new build out for a few days before coming to any conclusions.
- Make the Wraith easier to track. Even good Hunters have a hard time keeping tabs on Wraith because she can move so far while cloaked.
- Make the Decoy less spammy. It doesn’t take any skill to keep punching that ability button and let the AI Decoy go to work. We want to increase the “cost” of using it so that people use it more sparingly/strategically.
- Bring Supernova down a notch. It’s o.k. if it’s her primary damage dealer, but it felt a little on the buff side for a while internally and we saw it prove true during the Beta.
- Make Abduction a little easier to land. It’s a really fun ability to use and it was underutilized during the beta.
- Make Warp Blast a threat. This should be a straight forward damage dealer that also has some nice mobility utility.
- Wraith can no longer warp while cloaked. If she does, the cloak wears off and the Decoy vanishes (just like when you melee attack). This means that when she cloaks, she normally won’t get far and it opens the door for skilled players to do smart things like break line of sight before warping away.
- Decoy takes 30% longer to cool down. This immediately makes it 30% less spammy and hopefully results in players saving it for the more opportune moments.
- Supernova damage reduced by 10%. Not a huge change, but it will make a measurable difference.
- Abduction radius increased by .5 meters (now 3.5). This will make it a little more forgiving.
- Warp Blast radius increased by .5 meters (now 8.5). Increasing the radius here has proven a great way to increase the damage output in the past as players are able to hit their targets more often.
- Goliath Rock Throw inner shrapnel radius increased. What this means is if the rock lands close to a target the damage dealt will be more consistent. The overall damage and damage radius doesn’t change. The damage just becomes more binary (you either get hit by the shrapnel or you don’t.)
- Markov Lightning Gun has a smaller lock on angle. Previously it would lock on to a target that was within 30 degrees of your crosshair. Now you need to be within 15 degrees. Still feels good, but players will need to be a little more accurate with their aim.
- Hyde flamethrower damage bumped by 5%.
- Griffin’s maximum harpoon range extended by 5 meters (now 50.) Sucks when your aim was good but the length was too short for a flying Kraken. Should be more reliable now.
- Bucket Rocket damage increased to 75 (was 68) per rocket.
- Bucket Sentry Gun damage increased to 20 (was 17) per bullet.
- Cabot’s Radioactive Dusting radius decreased 10% (now 45 meters.)
- Jetpack slow climb speed increased 50%.
We changed the majority of the numbers, but I’ll call out the really big changes. When I say hours, I mean how long it should take people to accomplish the task given the community averages. Time is actual play time (excludes matchmaking, lobby, post round, etc.)
- Markov’s three star Arc Mines were taking 12.63 hours for people to complete. Should be five now.
- Maggie’s three star Daisy mastery was taking 17.79 hours. Now 5.
- Hank’s three star Orbital Barrage was taking 24.97 hours! We reduce the minimum range to 40 meters and set to five hours.
- Val’s two star Sniper Rifle was taking 14.68 hours. Set to 2.5.
- Val’s two star Medgun was taking 6.31 hours. Set to 2.5
- Val’s three star Tranq was taking 12.41 hours. Set to 5.
- Hyde’s two star Noxious Gas Grenade was taking 5.07 hours. Set to 2.5
- Lazarus’ three star Lazarus Device was taking 9.64 hours. Set to 5.
- Lazarus’ three star Personal Cloak was taking 10.79 hours. Set to 5.
- Parnell three star Shotgun was taking 18.28 hours. Set to 5.
- Parnell three start Rocket Launcher was taking 12.10 hours. Set to 5.
- Abe three star Shotgun was taking 9.31 hours. Set to 5.
Wasn’t able to adjust any Monster mastery numbers because we didn’t get telemetry on them due to a bug. Bug is fixed so we might get an update shortly after release if any of the numbers look bad.
Tons of bug fixes and adjustments to matchmaking. Too many for me to dig up or keep track of. We’ll make sure to get a process down for future updates so we can keep you all in the loop.
That’s it! Everything else looked good so these numbers are locked in for launch and then we’ll revisit everything again shortly after release!
Oh, and I want to shout out a big THANKS!!! to everyone who participated. Without you, we wouldn’t have the data to make all these adjustments. This is what it’s all about. This is the cycle we’ll see after release. Going to be a lot of fun!