Playing with friends Vs playing with public: The real defining factor of EVOLVE?

I’ll keep this short and sweet but hope it will illicit some discussion.

Having read a mixture of reviews for the BETA version of EVOLVE, I’ve noticed the following trend:

those who tended to the negative have experienced more public game play; stating issues like boredom, repetitiveness and lack of cohesion as their gripes.

While those with more positive tended to have had more game play in groups of friends when hunting, stating thrill of the chase, tactical decisions and stratagizing as all things they’ve particularly enjoyed.

Now guys, I hate to tell you this but these view points are not mutually exclusive; both hold some merit and having experienced a lot of one end of the spectrum and not the other does not make the opposing view point invalid.

I believe that the Users experience of the game is greatly affected by the company they keep and most of the gripes (and praise in some cases) is actually down to the team you play with.

TRS have given us a playground full of toys to play with. Who we chose to play with and use these toys is down to us as players.

Discuss

i played alot of pugs or public and my experience the more rank i was getting the better the players that i was teaming up , hell i lost count on how meany wraith i killed with pugs with no mics , only markers . That was my expirience with pugs/public and i really enjoy it.

Imo the higher the rank you have the better the expirience , with friends even better.

Definitely, the better I got with hunter the better the hunter players I got matched with.

I played entirely PUG’s and got a mixed bag. Some great sessions when got a good team together, some terrible ones. either way i never felt the game hindered me, was mainly lack of skill/communication/understanding/unfamiliarity between the team.

I guess there is some kind of level balance system. During beta i played with random groups and it was fun. And while gaining level the pleyers got better. When my friend joined me during the weekend i was above lvl 10 and he was lvl 1 finding the group took much more time.

There were no friends with me to play in beta so I only played with public. And for the most part it was a really good expirience. You wouldn’t believe how many times I played with 3 completely random hunters with no mics and stuff and we had such amazing synergy I was like “Dude are these guys my soulsmates or something?”. I would say it’s still a gamble though sometimes there were bad players/ “amazing” players with mics who blamed everyone on their team (“U GUYS SO BAD I CARRIED US LIKE WHOLE GAME GO KILL URSELF”)/players like “I have no idea what I’m doing”(not really bad just doing strange stuff) but it didn’t really give me a lot of negativity towards the game. I would say if you’re playing with friends you are more “protected” from the bad side.

I barely played with friends during the Beta, instead I jumped into the Evolve TS and found a bunch of cool guys with microphones. Works much better.

I gotta say, from my experience in public matches, I did feel I got a lot of bad groups. It wouldn’t be the whole team that would be bad, it would just be one or 2 people in each lobby, but that was enough to turn me off to the public servers. I still plan to play some public matches and see if I can climb out of the lower level riff raff and come across those awesome few who don’t use party chat. As for balancing, I’d rather see equality in the high level cooperation gameplay than have the hunters come out overpowered when they work together.

I played exclusively pubs and I had a lot of fun some games it was against good monsters and bad hunters and then I had fun trying to see how much better than my team I was see if I could carry the day. And then I’d get a group where all 4 hunters used voice chat knew how to cut people off and had decent monsters and it was a lot of fun.

I enjoyed it whether I had good or bad team mates. I had one game that pissed me off and that wasn’t because of my team it was a wraith player who really didn’t like playing monster.

What I love about this game, on top of the game itself is the community, I once connected to a game, replacing a bot, and my fellow hunters instantly wanted me on skype for better communication, that way it was really funnier, we kept playing for 3 or 4 more games, and one I was playing as a monster.

It was really fun to keep poker face in any situation, especially when hiding under a rock bridge, or making some cheesy fear attempts as “I see youuuuuuu :D”

All in all, yeah it is really up to the player to experience great teamwork and thus a good experience, whereas the monster gets to experience the competitiveness and the thrill of outsmarting (lol) 4 people.

This is a very important element in the success of a multiplayer game and is the reason I have quickly become very excited for it. Playing with good friends enhances pretty much any game experience, but I learnt a long time ago about the fickleness of peoples’ attention spans. The fact I had an absolute blast soloing as both the hunter and the monster, sealed the deal for me. Bots are the icing.

Publics? I played 3 public games this beta and rage quited them all. But that was because there was no good matchmaking. Hopefully i dont have to rage quit when im playing with my own levels and i can have a good time in publics. So far i only want to play with friends.

Some pub matches I got into had no mics, some had people with mics berating others, some games everyone had mics but weren’t friends and played seriously…others played silly…and some were matches where only I was doing the talking. Here are my pointers for going public:

• I find if I talk first, and there are others who might be willing to talk, they will be more apt to start talking too but need someone else to start them off.
  • Rather than berate someone, even when you feel like mashing your head to your keyboard, give support to a good try on a dome that failed, or an orbital that was totally off-mark. It’s how other people learn and they will learn faster if they feel comfortable. They might shut down if they feel like if they make a single mistake the team will rail on them for it, and will likely not perform as well as they could if they begin to hold back out of fear.
  • Give critical pointers but not too many generic ones, because they may think you are playing know-it-all and some folks like to learn some things on their own as well.
  • If people don’t have mics, they are still listening to you, and gameplay can be affected this way too. Plus they get to learn what a difference a mic makes.
  • Did someone have a good tracking dart, mine placement, or val tranq? Tell them so.
  • If you get put with a group of people who continue to just make the play environment distasteful to you, or put you down, don’t bother arguing or even responding…just back out after the round is over so you don’t play with them anymore and don’t carry negative feelings into the next match.
  • If you coordinated with a positive, decent team, make sure you get their names so you can play with them again in the future and expand your friendship pool!

There’s a reason they have in game comms :smiley:

On console it should be better since more often console players use in game voip than on PC where most players who use voip do so over private services like TS or Mumble.

Part of that is the nature of how they work… console it’s automatic and always on if you have a mic attached (Fuck you Kinect! I can only imagine XBoned is even worse with Kinects being forced on all early adopters :expressionless: I moved to PC near the end of 360 lifecycle)

PC you have to press a keybind, and mics are less common in general (Mics are usually included with Console… well, not sure about PS4…) AND PC players have more history using text comms whereas console only ever has voip (and the most pain in the ass PMing)

I’ve had a pretty good experience with the in game voice chat. something like 50% of the games i played in people used it. And even the people the didn’t use it they listened to what I was saying. Even one person having voice chat makes the game run a lot smoother and it gets smoother and smoother the more people who use it.

Edit: 100% if you count me 50% where atleast one other person used it. and maybe 1/4 where we had all four hunters with mics

I think people have realized that playing as a hunter in this game requires a bit more communication than most MP FPS games out there.

This factor makes and breaks not only Evolve, but for me, most asymmetrical MP games.

The bottom line is that 1 team is comprised of 4 players who have to act as one, communicate, coordinate, and then have a level of symbiosis with one another in battle, and the other is a singular entity in entire control of his character and its ability, with no need to rely on others; he is the lone wolf.

Since we are people of a singular mind, lone wolfing is easier to do, and as such, many randomized groups of people with varying levels of skills, communication, coordination, whether they get the class they are best at, etc., all plays to the Monster’s favor. It doesn’t guarantee the Monster will win, but it’s just significantly harder to deal with the Hunter side of play.

That’s why, to me, playing with friends is paramount, even if a 2-man team vs all bots locally or 2-man team out there to fill the other slots with puggers. Still, the latter will probably result in more frustration, so the enjoyment of the game is heavily dependent by not only how many friends I have online, but who’s willing to play, or still bothers to.

As noted in the other thread, that balance is required to be that way though.

It’s why, as others in this thread noted, you should always use voice comms. To help encourage others to turn theirs on, and so those who don’t can still hear you at least.

And yes… this is DEFINITELY a game that requires more teamwork on part of the hunters.

I played with some randoms who really got it. We won a lot more often when we got those on our team. When we’d get someone who didn’t… we’d tend to lose a lot more often (unless the monster was bad).

Communication is the key.

Fortunately for myself… I’ve got 1 friend who loves the game as much as I do, and we ALWAYS game together (in all games) so the 2 of us will never lack for at least 1 teammate… and we’ve got a few others we’ve got interested into the game to fill out our team

15 public games as hunter 6 games with one bad teamate who for somereason was always either the medic or trapper. One time we had to stop pursuing the monster because the medic was over 256 away fighting wild life. The worst was a trapper who domed us while a level 3 Goliath with no armor and less than a fourth of health ran to the power relay station he didn’t even take it down smh.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.

Just because there is an act out there like communication and having the game support communications doesn’t mean the player is going to use communications. If the game does not adapt to their interpretation of how it needs to work, and they are penalized by losses because of it, they are going to fault the game. Which I know many people will say “Good riddance” to that kind of player, but that can mean a large exodus of people from the community.

Not to mention, I hope that when hosting a custom game, the game remembers the Mute and Ban states of players who join. ie. if you’ve been banned, you cannot get back on the game session. If you’ve been muted, when you come back, you’ll be muted. If you are kicked, you can specify a duration (instant, 30min ban, 1h ban, etc.)

Managing players will be important to a lot of party hosts.