PC Build Discussion

Continuing the discussion here

The purpose of this thread is to discuss PC builds, the hardware and software that goes into it and what the advantages are of each.

I’m a console gamer wanting to build my own PC, I’ve got a lot of research to do so I have so many questions. Such as

• Processors: AMD, Intel, or Nvidia
  • Motherboards what to look for in them
  • Graphics Cards
  • RAM
  • Hard Drives (solid state or hybrid?)
  • Cases (I’m looking to make a full tower)
  • what is over clocking and how is it done
  • defragging hard drives what does this mean
  • Brand suggestion (is should I go Seagate or Corsair for example)

Here are the requirements I’m trying to base my build off of:

1. When I game I’m all or nothing when I game I don’t multi task
  2. I won’t be doing programming or graphical design, mostly web browsing, gaming, Microsoft office and maybe gameplay recording.
  3. I like graphics but am mostly concerned about reliability

Like I said I’ve got a lot of research to do and have bought some books but there’s nothing better than feedback from real people.
I hope this is enough information, thank you for your time.

Need help with getting a PURE gaming PC

The easiest way to start this is what budget are you working with?

I’m trying to stay around $1,000

My other option was buy a macbook for school to replace my current laptop and… Just yeah no never going Apple again. I’d rather spend the money on something I know i’ll get enjoyment out of

It’s pretty easy to build a good computer for $1,000. PCpartpicker.com is a great website to help find good deals and shipping for components. Do you feel comfortable building your own computer? You can save a LOT of money by doing so, and I feel that there are enough videos/tutorials out there that is should be easy to pick it up.

Always start with the GPU and work around that. There’s the majority of your money going to that.

Yeah, I’m pretty confident in building my own PC, matter of fact I refuse to go any other route. I find building things… rewarding ^.^

I have been watching videos and to be honest it looks like something I’m capable of doing

PC CASE APEVIA | X-SNIPER2-GN R ( 1)
MB ASROCK|H97 PRO4 LGA 1150 R ( 1)
CPU INTEL|CORE I5 4590 3.3G 6M R ( 1)
SSD Intel|SSDSC2BW240A401 % ( 1)
MEM 4Gx2|MUSHKIN 997164 RT ( 1)
CPU COOL DEEPCOOL| GAMMAXX 300 R ( 1)
DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% ( 1)
CASE FAN CORSAIR| CO-9050014-WW R ( 2)
PSU EVGA|650W 120-G1-0650-XR R ( 1)

This is what I built my computer off of. It does not have A) A graphics card, as I used my old one… and B) A secondary hard drive, because I used my old one.

What this does:
The solid state hard drive is perfect for starting up your computer in SECONDS when it reboots. I put Evolve on that drive too… which allows for seamless load times. It’s a super “convenient” computer.

Okay, GPU stands for graphics Processing unit right? What should I look for in a gpu

Cool beans. I’ve been busy at work due to student turnover, but I can help put together a nice rig for that amount. Couple of questions, do you have a mouse, keyboard and/or monitor or would you need to buy those as well? (I also strongly recommend a good pair of headphones, I have ones that cost around 50-70 but are probably some of the best that you can get for under 300-400.

I’ve been looking for decent headphones for cheap. what kind do you have?

Yeah the keyboard, monitor and mouse I would still need to buy, I have a turtle beach headset, don’t remember the model though

Is the Tv you currently use the family tv? I moved my living room tv to my computer room as my new monitor. Figured I would use it more there anyways.
If you want to save some money and are cappable, its an option.

These are the ones I am using.

Really good and inexpensive.

Try to avoid GTX Graphic Cards if you plan to play Evolve:

I’m not saying that it happens to everone with a GTX, but if it happens, it’s a pain in the ass

I use 2 SSD’s - 126GB for windows and minor Programms and 256GB for games like Evolve - and one HDD (1TB for stuff that I Download) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K9HID9Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01
You can pay more for another SSD: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-2-5-Inch-Solid-State/dp/B009NB8WRU/
don’t know the difference but the seem to have the same speed for reading and writing.

Choose your CPU first and then the Board. The Board need to have the same socket

If you buy a “boxed” CPU, you don’t need to buy a CPU cooler, if you plan to overclock, which is like forcing more power out of it, you really need a good cooler. I think you lose you warranty for overclocking, not sure, because you force more power out of it

just exemples, here are people with more knowledge that I have :smile:
@squeeton I use Creative Fatal1ty Pro Series HS-800 Gaming Headset for 25€ it’s good for this price, I like it
and @XkrSkorpion I bought 2 24" BenQ Monitors from Amazon for 120€ each. They reduced the Price a couple of weeks ago

I hate turtle beach with a passion. They are bloated branded crap headphones :stuck_out_tongue:

This is my wife’s computer I built a while ago. It cost less back then as prices are subject to change. It could be a decent place to start. Obviously I would change a few things as that build is around a year or so old. Prally better bang for your buck pieces.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Fv29wP

Lol don’t blame me oh great bovine leader it was a gift :slight_smile:

No worries, I just really dislike how everyone thinks that those headphones are good and they really aren’t.

Best gaming headset that I’ve ever owned…

Plantronics GameCom 780

Kinda like apple iPhone: “oh its the best phone evar!” -.-
I don’t care what processor it has, A7x A8 whatever, the UI has not changed whatsoever since iPhone one >.<
The only “diiference” is the size, a slightly nicer screen a new charger for each new release rendering your old charger obsolete… Grrr k rant over