Official Wildlife Information

And now for the topic that about three people wanted!

General Info
-The majority of Shear’s wildlife descended from cephalopod like creatures rather then a piscan based evolutionary tree like Earth.
-The wildlife on Shear has an unusually high rate of albinism.

In-Game

Canyon Strider

-The Canyon Strider is a fast and agile pack animal that grazes across several of Shear’s biomes. Its primary defense is its speed and sense of smell. Striders can detect the distinct aroma of Megamouths and easily avoid them.

Marsh Strider

-Marsh Striders are easily preyed-upon omnivores that live primarily on a diet of grubs, bark, and moss. Apart from a high breeding rate, their only defense is, when attacked, to fall to the ground and mimic the behavior of a sick animal. This confuses many of Shear’s ambush predators, who will instinctively not attack an apparently ill creature.

Spotter

-Spotters are highly social reptilian omnivores who make their home on the wide, temperate flatlands of Shear. Living in tightly knit extended family units—colonies—they are communicative and cooperative. They nest in self-built mounds, created from their own regurgitated food, that act as compost piles to allow them to easily regulate their heat.

Obsidian Grub

-Like its close-cousin, the Lava Strider, the Obsidian Grub evolved several (7) pairs of eyes, but keeps only two open at a time to minimize exposure to the extreme heat of its native lava-flow environment. The grub scours the newly created igneous plains in volcanically active regions, looking for any of the many small insects specially adapted to Shear’s pyroclastic environments.

Steamadon

-A close relative of the Armadon, the Steamadon’s third stomach is isolated from the other two. Most food goes into the first two stomachs, but the special algae the Steamadon uses to regulate its heat goes into the third stomach where it is fermented into a compost. The compost reaches temperatures of over a hundred degrees celsius. This allows the Steamadon to keep its body toasty warm, even in the freezing arctic biomes of Shear. When threatened, the Steamadon releases some of the superheated nitrous oxide from its third stomach into a special bladder it keeps filled with water.

Batray
http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/evolve.gamepedia.com/thumb/2/26/Crow_batray_large.jpg/400px-Crow_batray_large.jpg
-Batrays are a wide spread species, capable of living in almost any climate.
-Batrays have the requisite brain size to be susceptible to Neotenic Stimulators.

Harpy
-Harpies are scavengers, swooping down at a moments notice to feed on fresh kills. Noticeably, they are not afraid of large predators.

Glaciopod

-The small, sturdy Glaciopod happily whiles away the hours by scraping lichen off glaciers. The Glaciopod’s incredibly nutrient-rich scat gets its distinctive color and caloric value from the fungal spores contained within the lichen it eats. The lichen depends on the Glaciopod to digest the fungus and disperse its spores for it.

Basking Cephaladon

-A close relative of the Mammoth Bird, the Basking Cephaladon is a ‘living fossil.’ One of the first of Shear’s aquatic cephalopods to emerge from the seas and make its home on land, the Cephaladon is the last living remnant of Shear’s Demozoic period.
-Cephaladons prey on Glaciopods

Canyon Eel

-Canyon Eels are elasmobranches native to Shear’s freshwater rivers. They are sightless scavengers, carnivores, and swarm hunters that use vibrations in the water to locate and attack their targets.

Carnivorous Plants
-Large, flat, and carnivorous, Carnivorous Plants lie on the forest floor with their primitive stomachs extruded. Stepping on the exposed stomach causes a cascading calcium action potential, allowing the plant to quickly snap itself shut without any true muscles. The unfortunate prey is smothered, while a mild neurotoxin numbs it until it stops struggling and the digestion process begins.

Reaver

-Reavers are social pack animals and scavenging hunters. They are one of a number of amniotic tetrapod species on Shear, collectively known as synapsids. Reavers are warm-blooded, like mammals, but they lay eggs instead of giving live birth.
-Reavers will use the hollowed out corpses of large animals as nests.
-Reavers are near suicidal in their attraction to carrion, willing to attack much larger creatures to try and get it.

Venomhound

-Solitary ambush predators, Venomhounds lurk in Shear’s heavy undergrowth, striking out at any herbivores unlucky enough to wander by. Their high-molecular mass neurotoxin is chemically similar to terrestrial latrotoxin. This poison is not fatal to a full grown human, but colonists with weakened immune systems may die if bitten.

Blitzleopard

-Blitzleopards are powerful, ambush predators that are descended from seal-like, aquatic pack hunters. Like a Mammoth Bird’s tentacles, their tails emit bioluminescence, however for Blitzleopards, this is only used for mating purposes. While the two glows are different, they appear identical to humans. Even more interesting is that humans and other Blitzleopards are the only creatures who can see the glow - Shear’s other creatures are blind in that spectrum.
-Blitzleopards hunt by tackling their prey to the ground, they severing an artery or tearing out the throat with their long teeth. This method is only effective against smaller creatures, limiting their potential prey.

Trapjaw

-The Trapjaw is a successful and highly varied pack hunter found in many climates on Shear. Like its distant cousin, the Harpy, the Trapjaw is a scavenger, preferring to prey on sick and elderly animals and often stealing kills from larger predators. Trapjaws have poor eyesight, but excellent hearing. This allows them to dig their heads into a Carrion corpse and root around for bones or nutrient-rich organs, while still maintaining the ability to hear approaching predators.
-Trapjaws are capable of consuming and digesting non-organic substances, including the metallic bodies of robots.

Phantom

-Phantoms are large, nearly man-sized, flying mammalian scavengers. Highly social, they patrol in packs known as blights, using advanced chirps as signals to coordinate their hunting and alert each other to threats. Although Phantoms are placental mammals that give live birth and are covered with fine hairs, they also sport hard, bird-like beaks composed entirely of keratin. They use these beaks to rip and tear at the flesh of their prey. The beak’s smooth, hairless texture prevents the bacteria on the Carrion they eat from growing on or near their mouths.

Mammoth Bird

-Descended from aquatic cephalopods, Mammoth Birds are not avians. Their closest land-dwelling relatives are the Blitzleopards. Mammoth Bird legs are actually specially adapted tentacles, which leaves their other tentacles free as prehensile grasping, hunting, and eating tools. Another two of its tentacles have evolved into sophisticated bioluminescent lures that store a potent electric charge. They use the lure/charge combination to hunt Spotters. The tentacles worm their way into the Spotters’ den, prompting the Spotters to investigate the light and get themselves stunned by the electric charge.
-They often travel in small groups for protection. Any predator that incapacitates one is quickly shocked off by the others.

Nomad

-It is a popular misconception among Shear’s colonists that the Nomad’s long legs and great height is an adaptation to allow it to feed on the leaves of tall trees. The Nomad’s height is actually part of a mating display. Taller male Nomads attract more mates, so over many generations the Nomad has grown to the size we encounter now.

Armadon

-A three-stomached grazing ruminant who feeds primarily on grasses and grubs, the Armadon is technically an omnivore, though it is capable of eating and digesting almost anything. Though solitary and normally docile, Armadons are highly territorial. Their distinctive call is often mistaken by colonists for a mating cry, but is in fact the territorial bellow of one male sensing the subsonic vibrations of another distant male infringing on its territory.

Crowbill Sloth

-A large, typically docile herbivore, the quick-to-anger Crowbill gets its name from its distinctive beak, which is used to dig grubs out of soil and the bark of trees.
-Despite primarily feeding on plants, Crowbills are opportunistic carnivores and will eat Spotters as a source of protein.

Megamouth

-One of the most distinctive of Shear’s vast collection of unique wildlife, the Megamouth is an aptly-named ambush predator that uses camouflage to hide from prospective prey.
-According to Crow, consuming Megamouth flesh causes severe indigestion, nausea, and diarrhea

Dune Beetle

-The Dune Beetle is a large arthropod and one of the deadliest predators on Shear. Its claws are specially adapted to pierce the ignimbrite husks of creatures living near magma deposits.
-According to Crow, they are the most delicious creature on Shear.
-Despite being fierce predators, they are not above stealing other creature’s kills.

Tyrant

-One of Shear’s iconic, dominant apex predators, Tyrants can be found lurking in any fresh-water lake on Shear. Equally adapted to desert and arctic conditions, these aggressive ambush hunters lunge at their prey, snapping their beak-like jaws around their victim, pulling them back into the water. Prey who are not killed by the crushing force of their jaws are quickly drowned.
-Their favorite prey is Striders, though they will attack Mammoth Birds if the opportunity presents itself.

Not In-Game

Leviathan

Soot Swarmer

-Chriopteran flyers, Soot Swarmers are dangerous predators. They stay airborne for hours at a time by using the rising heat from volcanic thermal vents. As they glide, they accumulate sulfur on their wings and bodies. When they dive to attack, they discharge this sulfur in the faces of their prey, making it impossible for them to see or breathe.

Dune Wolf
https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/uploads/default/14869/970d80428aec976e.jpg
-A relative of the Reaver, these voracious pack hunters instinctively know when a victim’s caloric content is less then the energy it would take to make the kill. By consistently avoiding unrewarding prey, the Dune Wolf is a very efficient hunter.

Ramora
These fast and social pack animals are noted for their glowing tentacles used in mating displays. They are scavenging omnivores of little threat, who use highly specialized hooves to ‘skate’ across the ice.

Ice Lurker

Opportunistic pack hunters, the Ice Lurker prefers to follow its prey and attack only the stragglers, the old, and the sickly.

Magma Charger

-A brute-force attack beast, the Magma Charger’s bony frill protects it from charging enemies, while its tusks are fringed with deadly felsic crystals for use against prey. magma Chargers are notorious for the sparks their tusks give off when jousting against other chargers for mating privileges.

Magma Wyrm

-The Magma Wyrm spends its pupal stage crawling across newly formed metamorphic planes, eating ignimbrite crystals and digesting them, storing their hydrogen in a chemical solution. Once they metamorphose, the adult Magma Wyrm precipates the hydrogen out of the solution into a special ballast sack that allows it to float above the lava. The Wyrm spends the rest of its life thusly, preying on the creatures below with tentacles coated in an anesthetic neurotoxin. Once the hydrochemical solution is exhausted, the Wyrm sinks to the ground, where it is quickly consumed by other predators.

Lava Strider
https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/uploads/default/14914/716bfb896c3c0af0.jpg

Cinder Hog
https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/uploads/default/14913/6c548d8d8990e233.jpg

Frost Raptor/Chimera
https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/uploads/default/14886/901b5a1b662698c9.jpg

Cryosaur
https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/uploads/default/14883/4f1d9ef7ceeded6d.jpg
-The Cryosaur is the king of Shear’s polar wastes. It is the undisputed alpha predator, capable of easily snapping a man in half.
-In spite of its size, it is a burrowing hunter. Using thermal glands on its dorsal side, it melts the ice, burrowing down until it is covered in newly melted water. At that point it stops burrowing, so the water slowly freezes back to ice with the Cryosaur underneath it, waiting. The Cryosaur can sense even minute tremors in the ice above it so when it detects prey of sufficient caloric value, it bursts force from the ice, often stunning its prey in the process. Those who survive the initial impact are quickly caught and eaten.

Impaler

Mangler

Sand Ripper/Juggernaut

Glacial Serpent

-It is the largest creature yet discovered on Shear, the aquatic Glacial Serpent only recently learned how much food…which is to say, humans…there was to be found in the shallows of Shear’s oceans.
-The Serpent waits just beyond the breakwater, and then lunges forward, scooping up entire families in one fell swoop.
-Scars found on dead Glacial Serpents indicate great struggles with possibly even larger denizens of the deep

Cave Creeper

Megadon

-They are the distant, arctic relative of the Armadon, the Megadon is large, covered in a protective layer of blubber, and highly territorial.

Forest Springer

Huskback

In conclusion, anyone with pictures for the ones I’m missing, please post them below so I can add them. Information for the non-game creatures came from the Hunters Quest app, please post any I’m missing if you have it.

Monster and Wildlife Biology and Physiology
Arena name request
Hunter's Quest Beastiary Request
"Planet tamers" board game [WIP]

Cinder Hog looks like a cross between a mega mouth and Tyrant.

I love all the creatures in this game! Wish they would come out with more maps that included some of the creatures left out.

This is a cool little compedium.

Cool info you got on the animals, I think you just missed a little bit.

The Leviathan is actually in the game, just not alive. There is a skeleton of one in the Broken Hills Murder Pits called Slaughterhouse and the corpse of one in Refueling tower with a bit more meat in it’s bones.

Blitzleopards hunt Marsh striders, there was a video someone posted, but I’m too lazy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Same with the Tyrant, they hunt and eat marsh striders and mammoth birds.

Dune beetles attack a lot of wildlife and eat them as well.

Reavers are just assholes and will pretty much attack everything. And will even eat their own dead kind.

Preach it m8.

Canyon and marsh strider I only thought there was as just one type

You’ll see marsh stiders in maps with a lot of water and vegetation. And canyon striders in maps like Rendering plant and Wraith trap.

I counted in-game as a creature you could encounter. The Leviathan carcasses are more for decoration.

Alright, you could mention where the corpses are though.

Doesn’t crow call it a neotenic stimulator?

Any videos of Reavers killing anything?

And players?

Probably, I couldn’t find the official name. Thanks for the tip.

Again, too lazy, but someone’s posted a video about a group of them attacking and killing a dune beetle. They also attack mammoth birds, steamadons and poor glaciodpods. :frowning:

This clip is from @fishyg23 that shows a dune bettle getting rekt and apparently a venom-hound attacking a canyon strider. http://xboxclips.com/FishyG23/3acc6025-a302-40d1-b5a5-a886c330ee7f

If I can’t put it without his permission I’ll take it down.

The Cryosaur, Glacial Serpent and Leviathan come across as bosses for the Monster player (in a theoretical single player campaign) or as an automatic death for players who go out of bounds (imagine a Leviathan dragging a Behemoth under water or a Glacial Serpent dragging a Kraken under ground…shivers). Could be great in an SP campaign or a mode where the 4 hunters team up with the Monster to fight something worse than either of them.

That sounds amazing, I always hoped for a Sp campaign that has a lot of lore or wildlife that was taken away. Seeing a Cryosaur pick up an animal and rip it apart. A Leviathan in the distance.

Imagine a space level playing as Slim with his friends boarding a Sol Hub ship.

Or playing as Maggie getting to the evacuation ship all while seeing the Behemoths and Hosts that did it.

My favorite would be playing as a colonist, seeing the monsters attack and whatnot.

Funny how you mention that, as I always think about SP from the Monster’s perspective. I keep imagining being a Wraith stowing away on said evacuation ship, it being a level of its own. You sneak around trying to overhear the Hunters and ship commander’s plan on how to eradicate the Monster scourge, and you go and try to destroy that plan or weapon. But not before seriously damaging the ship’s engines forcing them to land back on Shear and fighting a mech boss in the engine room. I could see that ending with either the Wraith escaping (think a single monster’s journey through levels a la War of the Monsters on PS2. Look it up if you’re not familiar) or it dying at the end of that level and the other Monster levels go through several Monsters’ individual journeys to save their species, inadvertently helping each other complete a step in that goal.

Having 2 story modes for each can yield so much potential. :heart_eyes: Your ideas are excellent too, I forgot to say. Would love to see all of these ideas come to fruition some day.

A dual campaign of the monsters destroying the planets and hunters trying to protect colonists and evacuate. Missions like sneaking around various traps to infiltrate a compound, protecting a convoy from a monster, and a final mission with all the hunters against a full pack of monsters. Plus tutorial missions like Goliath’s for other characters.

Give me a day or two, I’m making this a thread.

Who needs threads about the new medic or support or challenges when you have these: AWESOMESAUCE Bestiaries! :smiley: (No sarcasm intended. This is awesome!)

Blitzleopards are sort of scavengers as well, I think. One time, my team and I waited at a Relay in Aviary. We killed the elite Tyrant and multiple mammoth birds. Well a Blitzleopard came up to us. Assault killed it, I resurrected it (don’t ask why), and it turned around and ate the Tyrant. It, all by itself, at a freshly dead, fully intact, elite Tyrant. Suffice to say we didn’t kill it. :,D

(oh, and a slightly typo)

Dude those other animals that aren’t in game look amazing!! I wish they were implemented into the game