It’s a mode that’s been done before on many games in different forms (Horde, Survival, etc) and I think it’d work really well with Evolve and be immensely fun for both sides:
Onslaught: The hunters have to survive an onslaught of Stage 1 monsters until the timer reaches 0. Monster wins if it kills all hunters. Hunters win if they survive for 30mins.
- The hunters do not drop, they start on the ground and get a few moments to get their bearings. (While the Monster player chooses their first monster and abilities).
- A monster roars in the distance and a 30min clock starts ticking down.
- The hunters must remain in a specific area for the clock to tick down, leaving this area pauses the clock.
- The monster player gets an endless supply of fully armoured Stage 1 monsters (but cannot evolve)
- The monster player can choose a different monster type for their next spawn once one dies
- When the hunters kill a monster one hunter receives a random buff. The whole team is informed of who and what has changed.
- When the monster kills a hunter a 1min dropship countdown begins. The player can choose a different hunter at this point if they want.
- Periodically a crate will appear on the map allowing a hunter to remove any strikes they may have. The crate will not be close to the rescue zone though, meaning a potentially dangerous solo trip outside the zone (which will pause the clock).
- Wildlife is present on the map but there are no buffs attached as these are applied to hunters randomly as a reward.
So that’s the outline of the game mode. The monster player can try out all the monsters against the hunters and the hunters get to test themselves against a variety of monsters. Each countering the other with character selection as the match progresses.
Let me know what you think…