New Gamemode Idea (HARDCORE MODE)

Hey one of my friends that I play Evolve with on PS4 gave me an idea for a great new gamemode which would be good for introducing new players to the diversity of gameplay that Evolve has to offer and is just a fun idea in its own rights. My friend was thinking that there should be a gamemode the shows off all hunters in one game. In the sense that you start off with a tier 1 hunter team and end with a tier 3 hunter team depending on your survivability. So if you die as hank, you will respawn as bucket who is the next support tier and etc, until you die as Cabot since there is no tier 4 included with the base game. You will be simply become a spectator. Think of it as a hardcore mode, if you get eaten as hank, you do not come back clean and fresh on the dropship. If anyone remotely understands what I’m trying to get across here, please by all means say what you think. Constructive Criticism is key!

@SledgePainter has a thread for this stuff, no?

This sounds awsome.

This sounds great. You Could play around with monsters as well. Turn it into a huge arena fight with all monsters.

First I need to say that your idea is a little messy and unclear on the details. It sounds like an idea for a good concept when you’ve had 17 beers and wrote it down on a peace of toilet paper. You kinda understand it, but not really.

Sounds like fun :slight_smile: Although this would require some serious work from the developers. And I already see a serious balance problem with this gamemode and that is Lazarus, DLC content, monster choice and input, and the mechanic that is called Strikes.

To start with one of the flaws in the idea. DLC cannot be excluded. For this idea to work, you would need a ‘pick three hunters’ option if you have more than one hunter. If you only have the base game you cannot choose and will get the pick right away.

Another problem is that this gamemode can only be played by people who have all the characters of that class unlocked. Although it will be another goal to reach, it will be unfair for those who just bought the game. The option to simply let them play all classes, even if they don’t have them yet, is a no go.

A better idea is that you can choose in what order they are going to jump. If every game is the same, the strategies can be formed the same. You want to be able to pick tier 4 and tier 5 hunters later, and you don’t want to start against maggie every match. If there is a set strategy that means that the monster will be able to “work” down every hunter in a specific order to win. You need to be able to choose the order of the drop. This would be required as well if you include tier 4.

Then there are Strikes. How do you see this work with your gamemode? Because you don’t want the same hunter to drop from the dropship, if a player dies he respawns as a new hunter with full health. So players only get strikes if they get saved?

Then with the same input. If you have a good hunter team, Lazarus will keep everyone alive. If you can’t break Lazarus gameplay as the monster, you will lose. His mechanic to ignore strikes and downs, I mean it forces more effort to not let a hunter actually die (because you really lose that role).

Thinking out loud now as well, but this gamemode would mess your personal perk up a lot as well. Not every perk is usefull for every character, and some don’t even match with others.

Then last, how do you see monsters be placed in this gamemode? Does he get to swap as well? Is the monster getting a second choice for when the first one dies? Because ‘as is’, the hunters are getting a huge favor getting the chance to get in another (different) hunter. And if the monster doesn’t know who the new hunter is, he is again behind in balance.

I think you really need to work on the details, because it is interesting, but it’s just a brainfart atm.

Uuuuh… /thread ?

So…turn a game centered around the alien big game hunt into another Godzilla/Rampage fighter game…

Honestly, I think this could work as a game mode. You’re right, it is in an infancy stage, but with the right tweaks, it could work.

Then there are Strikes. How do you see this work with your game mode?

Hunters don’t get strikes. They die outright when downed. It is a setting in custom games. Since this is “Hardcore” it makes sense that getting downed has great consequences. Having Lazerus on your team would be a godsend…until the monster kills him. Hunters need to protect that asset as much as possible. But the drop ship comes a little sooner than the default.

how do you see monsters be placed in this gamemode? Does he get to swap as well?

Monsters don’t get to cycle because the instant death they can impose on the hunters.

Thinking out loud now as well, but this gamemode would mess your personal perk up a lot as well. Not every perk is usefull for every character, and some don’t even match with others.

No perks. No damage boosts, no cool down boosters, not even epic wildlife. Just your skills. Hardcore is hardcore.

A better idea is that you can choose in what order they are going to jump.

Yes, I agree that you and your team should be able to choose who jumps next. However, the stakes are high because if one of you dies, your team now gets shifted. This makes adapting essential.

Good ideas aren’t perfect at first. They need to be developed. The OP had a good idea. It just needs to be developed a little more to make it perfect.

I’ve brought this up before. A mode where after a new Hunter drops in. It makes more sense to me to have a new guy jump instead of a dead Hunter lol.

If this game mode would go as said monster would be at a huge disadvantage I think to kill 12 hunters full health with only the basic monster. I think monster would need more health/armor in this game mode or that monster deals more damage per skill then normal. Otherwise hunters win.

Of course it wouldn’t just go as said. It’s an idea, that’s where all things start. The details would need to be hashed out of course.

Geez talk about a bunch of wet blankets- I for one thing it’s a pretty sweet concept.

However, like some of you said I do not know how Lazarus or Strikes would come into play. And if the game is forced to go through all the hunters, it would be unfair for the monster. Unless…