I like the wildlife on shear. And I like to put things into categories.
I have (tried) to categorize life on shear, based solely on anatomy. If I’m wrong, feel free to correct me.
That is a very rough diagram of what I think the groups are. I’m going to go into a bit of detail about my theories, and what puts them in a group
It all starts in the sea, and the lifeforms everything evolved from are in there, represented by the biggest black dot (The smaller ones represent common ancestors)
The First on my list is the Canyon Eel. Only member of it’s group represented in game under the current classification. Might put the grub with it. We’ll see.
The Second is the common ancestor (Faded Black Dot) of the terrestrial life that doesn’t have tentacles, 6 eyes or looks like a bug. The Leviathan on Weather control is my best guess as to what this looks like.
It branched off into three groups:
- First being Reavers and Megamouths. The unique trait here is the vestigial tail, that can’t be seen.
- Second subgroup all possess a Tripartite jaw, this includes Crowbills, Hounds and Steamadons.
- The Final Subgroup is the Avians. Tailed animals with a normal jaw, this includes Batrays and Harpies, Trapjaws, Spotters and The Marsh striders.
Moving on to the Third group. These are the Tentacled Terrestrials. Don’t have a good representation of their ancestors (Big Dot):
- The Most Primitive is the Cephalodon, which is sort of a halfway point between the two other groups.
- The Most common group have 4 legs and a Carapace. This group includes the Armadon, Nomads and Desert Striders.
- The Third Group contains the mammoth birds. Only Two legs, no carapace and are capable of producing Electric shocks.
The Fourth Group are all Arthropod like. They have 4 to 6 limbs and consist of the Dune Beetle, Glaciapods and Obsidian Grub. Might be related to the canyon eel.
The Final Group are defined by have a long tail, 6 eyes and 4 limbs. This group is mostly aquatic, however most of the ones seen in game are the Land based ones. This Includes Tyrants, Blitzers and the Phantoms.