Monster Name Themes

Anybody else examine something about the Monster’s names?

Goliath- Goliath Goliath was a giant Philistine warrior defeated by the young David, the future king of Israel, in the Bible’s Books of Samuel (1 Samuel 17).

Kraken- The Kraken is a legendary sea monster of giant size that is said to dwell off the coasts of Norway and Greenland. A number of authors over the years have postulated that the legend originated from sightings of giant squid that may grow to 12-15 meters(40-50 feet) in length, despite the fact that the creature in the original tales was not described as having tentacles and more closely resembled a whale or crab. The sheer size and fearsome appearance attributed to the Kraken have made it a common ocean-dwelling monster in various fictional works.

Wraith- Wraith is a Scottish dialectal word for “ghost”, “spirit”.

Behemoth- Behemoth Is a beast mentioned in Job 40:15–24. Suggested identities range from a mythological creature to an elephant, hippopotamus, rhinoceros or buffalo. Some creationists believe it to be a description of a sauropod, due to its tail being described as like a cedar tree. Metaphorically, the name has come to be used for any extremely large or powerful entity.

Gorgon- In Greek mythology, a Gorgon is a female creature. The name derives from the ancient Greek word gorgós, which means “dreadful”, and appears to come from the same root as the Sanskrit word “garğ” which is defined as a guttural sound, similar to the growling of a beast,[1] thus possibly originating as an onomatopoeia.

So for one all these names TRS have chosen are old mythological creatures or past people from a religious book and two we can already say Gorgon is a female “like” monster as said in the Gorgon description above “In Greek mythology, a Gorgon is a female creature.” Fair enough?

(I used Wikipedia for all the descriptions above)

2 Likes

Well, you are right, but I thought that was pretty obvious they were doing that? No offense.

2 Likes

Makara
10 char

Gorgon can still actually be a male. Because in the mythology there is one male gorgon, his name was Nanas. He was a body guard to Zeus.

1 Like

Judging by the silhouette, it does not have a very gender-specific figure, just like Kraken and Behemoth.

Just my 20 cents.

No clue what you’re talking about, they both look deserving of masculin pronouns to me.

I’ve also taken to referring to Gorgon as a she.

2 Likes

Kraken has a relatively skeletal figure, with blubber and tentacles covering the rest.
Pretty gender neutral.

Behemoth is covered in rocks and looks like a toad.

Goliath has a masculine figure due to his wide shoulders and narrow, vertical hips.

Wraith has a feminine figure due to her narrow shoulders, wide hips and ‘breasts’.

1 Like

Those tentacles look like Kraken’s facial hair to me. Once you see it it can’t be unseen.

He has a very large body and thick arms. Behemoth is totally a fat guy.

2 Likes

Kraken has crests on his arms, but is quite skinny.

Rude ;_;

1 Like

What they said…

Man, Gobacuga you are really descriptive.

1 Like

If I had to guess, it’d be something like these:

• Manticore
  • Hydra
  • Harpy

Also a note on Behemoth. His name was originally voted on from the selection of Juggernaut (my favorite, honestly), Titan, Colossus, and Behemoth.

Yeah. I didn’t think this was big news. All Monster abilities and/or playstyle is ‘associated’ (if only partly) to the name of the creature. Appearance too.

Goliath: Large, strong biped.
Kraken: Has tentacles. The Kraken in the myths, although not specifically to do with lightning, is often associated with storms.
Wraith: Ghost is 'nuff said.
Behemoth: Big, tanky, brute.
Gorgon: Sly, deceitful, merciless, wretch.

1 Like