Monster and Wildlife Biology and Physiology

I study and research animals and creatures for a living. It’s something I have an amazing passion for. Nothing get’s me more interested and excited then trying to figure out hoe a living thing works. So, when I saw the monsters for the first time, my mind started to work on how they could exist, how their normal life cycle is, how they are able to do what they do. Given, a monster is a thing that you do not or can not fully understand. But being and animal scientist prevents me from believing that. Some the wildlife too catch my eye.

Why do so many different life forms have tentacles around where food intake is? Where on the planet’s evolutionary map do they split from each other? Why do the Striders have such small and seemingly useless arms located so close to their long back legs?

Why is a Desert Nomad (A large herbivore) so aggressive when it is arguably the largest thing in it’s environment; making it not have any real predators based on size alone? I would assume that since Shear appears to be mostly desert, there is a limit on plant-based food and thus it perceives nearly everything around it as food.

I’m going to keep adding to this thread as I look more and more into this game. Or any game really, to be honest…I love life.

Cause it was never a product of evolution. It was a concoction of mammoth bird bones and plants that summoned beings of unimaginable power and aggression.

ie they’re the spawn of satan.

aka mammoth birds.

The Goliath’s physiology seems to be the simplest of the beasts to understand.

A plated head for protection when charging. Sunken in eyes to help protect against any possible damage that would be sustained via charging or fighting something up close. Vent alongside the neck to help cool down the brain and prevent it from being cooked whenever spewing flames. Small mandibles to allow for easier manipulation of food so that no edible parts; no matter how small, are missed. A cheekless jaw to allow for larger junks of meat to be swallowed. A spiked tail that can be used as a defense from behind. A four toed foot with two in front, two in back, that allowed for balance and stability when walking on two legs while not hindering quadrapedic movement. The spines on it’s shoulders and back are probably used more as symbols of dominance as well as a potential attractant to any possible mates.

Did I miss much?

That sounds pretty good actually.

perhaps the hand design.

The hand, along with the arms, appear to be decided to hold down large and/or struggling prey. The large claws are obviously used to dig into flesh while the long strong arms hold the prey down while Goliath feeds as well as allowed a point blank cooking if the need were to arise. The size and obvious sharpness of the claws allow the beast to hold onto not only wriggly Striders, but also the slippery hide of a cephalodon, as well as pierce the armor of an armadone. Th addition of a thumb allows from much greater manipulation of whatever foodstuffs the Goliath is partaking in as well as allowing the monster the ability to pick up the boulder’s it is so fond of tossing. As one can see from the menus, Goliath has touch skin so it does not really worry to much about harming itself when digging it’s hand into the ground or slamming it’s arms into the ground.

It probably developed it’s leaping ability as a counter to catching prey hiding on hide, hard to reach areas as well as catch up to trapjaw packs.

Male elephants have been known to become extremely aggressive to everything around them during their young adult years. Its become a serious problem as they literally slaughter smaller animals (specifically rhinos) for no apparant reason besides fun. Maybe the nomad has some similar problem.

Also, I believe a herd of trapjaws would be able to take down a nomad, since there are groups of lions that have actually learned to specifically hunt elephants, a tyrant would have a harder time hunting them, but would still pass a threat, especially to younger individuals. Im not certain on what bog sloths eat, but they would also be a problem for the young ones

I made this thread a while back, havent updated it on our new gorgon based information though, maybe you’d find something you agree on

Caira would also know this stuff. Too bad i’m too stupid D:

Interesting read anyway! :smile:

Goliath’s feet contain two opposable digits, allowing them to be arranged as zygodactyl or as a pad. This can be seen when contrasting its prints with its appearance as you fight it. When walking on mud or sand, soft surfaces where it leaves tracks, all toes are forward, providing a larger ‘pad’ for better traction. In combat, the outer toes move to the zygodactyl position, allowing it to grip the ground for better stability.

I have a bunch more of this stuff, I wrote it out back when I was still a lurker. I had been planning to make it a thread in the theme of Caira’s dissection notes, but it appears you’ve beaten me to it.

Almost all Shear life draws on ancestry from animals like earth cuttlefish, squid, and other cephalopods, rather than earth’s fish based ancestry for large land animals. From the trapjaw, to the batray, to the tyrant.

The cephalodon is the oldest modern creature, much in the same way crocodilians are almost unchanged in the millions of years they have existed on earth.

I think that the goliath’s spikes are also a form of protection. They are large, have a thick, sturdy base and, the bigger the goliath gets, the longer the spikes become. This would make it very difficult for competition to attack from behind, as most monsters are fond of doing. The skin on their backs and the back of their arms are much thicker than the scaly hide of their chest, belly, and bottom side of their arms. This could be an extra layer of protection against competition or other predators that seek to attack from behind.

thsi would also explain why smaller goliaths are faster but weaker. They have little protection from sneak attacks so they are quicker and need to eat less than an average adult alpha. The alpha’s spikes could symbolize status as well. Larger, stronger Goliaths have larger, thicker spikes. If their size doesn’t warn away predators or competition, their larger teeth, spikes, and claws as well as their enhanced abilties.

(I’ll finish later. Got to go)

All really good! I think we can all agree that the Goliath is an active hunter that would rather chase down and tear apart it’s prey then hide and wait.

The “flames” the Goliath spews might not be actual fire but a gas/liquid that reacts with flesh in such a way to cause combustion. If it true lily was fire, well everything would burn, and burn for a much longer period of time. Nothing that isn’t meat burns when coming into contact with the gas and the fire only lasts a short while until the fluid has been all burned away.

If we go to MG however we can see what happens to a Goliath when it’s egg has been exposed to large quantities of Bohrium. The blue color as well as the flames do to the superheated muscle underneath. Causing everything it does to be coated in it’s burning fluid. The increase in heat might be very uncomfortable to MG and thus it is always in a more aggressive mood than it’s none mutated counterpart.

The fins are another part of it’s mutation that might cause it some issues in balancing it’s head and thus is more likely to be seen on all fours as well as less likely to charge do to the increase in wind resistance. It probably depends on it’s breath more than Goliath do to it’s decrease in overall speed and stamina.

This is actually most likely true, as the flame breath will leave a black bubbline liquid on any surface for a moment after the breath has passed.

Also please note that none of the monsters are native to shear, and they are most likely engineered.

True. But they have been released and will eventually become a part of whatever ecosystem exist on whatever planet they are on. There adaptability means that they may not look or even function the same on other planets. This thread is for the monsters found on Shear. Since they will be staying there long after the humans have left. So as far as I am concerned they are NOW native to Shear.

I have a question for you @Candy_Man_550
Why are humans skin color peach and brown
Or as people say white and black

I would love to hear your observation on Behemoth’s anatomy :smile:

Rhinos are huge, so are Elephants and they can very very aggressive.

I honestly can not tell if your joking or not. But if not then the answer is really simple. Location, location, location. All humans share a common ancestor who is theorized to have had a darker skin tone do to having lived in the hot Middle East. As humans grew in numbers and started to migrate to other location, their skin reacted. The colder and less sun intensive North did not require for the body to build up much of a defense against tUV radiation; so not as much pigmentation was required, thus lighter skin tones. The dry, hot and arid South required for humans to develop a natural defense against the cancer causing sun, more pigmentation thus darker skin. Simple as that. Location.

Ah, Behemoth. A rather annoying one to try and figure out. Ok.

Let’s start with the armor. Lots of life have natural armor, but Behemoth’s appears to be lossely attached to the body via strands of flesh on several areas. This would indicate that those specific junks of armor or not actually needed and are really used more in it’s preferred method of acquiring food. Waiting.

If it where to tuck it’s head in and lay still, it would look like a large mound of rocks, prey would right by without a second thought and would be easy pickings. While they might not have evolved the armor “naturally” and as a defense towards humans. I would assume it would also help against other aggressive monsters that might not like Behemoth staying in their territory, or against potential rockfalls that would happen in it’s cave or mountain environment.

Large club -like hands for bashing down prey and breaking bones that it possibly consumes along with the flesh since it’s tusk probably create a problem when trying to differentiate flesh from organ and bone. The second layer of teeth on the facial armor probably help with that as well.

The multiple eyes allow for the Behemoth to be able to see with having the need for much of a neck as well as allow for at least one eye to be out when waiting for prey to approach. It appears to have one major eye among the others so that might mean it actually has better vision and uses that one to see things in detail while the smaller eyes are used more for differentiating movement, light, and possibly basic color