Modification suggestion for Hunter status wheel

http://s3.postimg.org/tx6w0ll03/evolve_wheel.jpg

So my thought was for something minimal, but possibly useful. There would be, per Hunter, a border trim that animates out from the center to full (when not full, it’s lower in opacity, when full, it’s solid) This indicates the class’ specialty ability. When full, it’s at the ready (ie, Assault Shield, Support Cloak, Trapper Arena and Medic Burst Heal) Otherwise, it fills at the speed so that when it reaches full size, the Hunter’s respective ability is ready.

Might be a useful technique to give other hunters an idea when their teammate’s abilities are ready.

Thoughts?

Good idea
Would be useful in game :slight_smile:

Just to confirm, you would no longer have a progression animation on the ability background color area but instead a rising white strip ?

You could have that for your weapon info wheel in the bottom right. But this would inform you of the class-based ability status for your teammates. But yes, your class status weapon wheel BG would animate in sync with your class’s status ability on the Hunter info wheel. Exactly.

We’re going to end up with one hell of a customizable HUD if you guys keep posting stuff like this.

+1

Oh wait! I got the idea! You would reutilize the class HP HUD to add specific class specialization abilities cooldown?!

That would be very helpfull.

+10000 for that suggestion

This is insanely useful.

+2

I dunno. I like that the team should rely on eachother for information instead of looking at a HuD. I don’t think it’s needed tbh, but I’m also not wholly against if (If that makes sense). That being said, the icons in the bottom left don’t have much information and so having to look there from time to time seems a bit off. I’m trying to think where else on the hud it could go to make it easier for a ‘central’ source of information.

Called it.

Truly you are this generation’s Cassandra :slight_smile:

There’s a reason why they say “Knowledge is Power”. The more info we have, the more potent an action we can take.

But what about the adage that Power Corrupts. So study hard, be evil :smiley:

You guys really need to stop thinking of these features as a bad thing. This seems pretty useful because:

A) There’s players out there who refuse to use mic, chat or communication whatsoever because they’re either uncomfortable or flat out don’t want to.

B) It’s useful if you’re playing with new players or friends who are new to the game and you can say “hey your MOBILE ARENA is up but you’re not using it, trap him now!”

C) It’s a good way to keep track of who’s not using their abilities OR if you know they do have it you can communicate a plan of attack.

D) It saves time on communication when you can just look at the HUD for a split second instead of asking during a heated fight and again without having to deal with people who refuse to communicate.

There’s only so much mental processing space a person can spare for things before it becomes noise.

Less is more. Focus on the game and trust your team to inform you of tactical points like this.

A small transparent single bar moving at a slow, steady pace in the bottom right corner of the HUD is too much mental processing for a person?

True, but in this case it’s also less information, which doesn’t equate to more. It’s about more work to acquire that information because we have to ask and the speed of acquiring that information varies greatly on who you’re playing against. This feature eliminates that.

Everyone plays differently, good and bad. This sort of feature makes you focus more on the game because there’s critical information that you know about without having to communicate. You look once and don’t have to worry about it. Instead of “hey whats the cooldown on your shield?” “i said whats the cooldown on your shield? Hello?”

I could turn this on its head and say that people really need to stop and think about things. I understand it’s only natural to want to provide suggestions, but all I can say is I’m glad most of the people posting aren’t game developers. There’s very little consideration for genuine game experience, just “Oh wow, I bet that would be cool, I’d know more stuff / be able to do more things!” without actually considering how it would impact the game.

They probably won’t be particularly competitive, but that’s fine if they still enjoy the game. There’s no need to add extra features to compensate for what should be considered a basic level of interaction with the game, though.

[quote=“Slewey, post:13, topic:24550”]
B) It’s useful if you’re playing with new players or friends who are new to the game and you can say “hey your MOBILE ARENA is up but you’re not using it, trap him now!”
[/quote]You’ll already know this, by how long it’s been, you’ll have a good gauge of these things from instinct. And if it’s not ready, they’ll say “No, it’s not ready yet.”
No need to overthink… An entire UI feature to be able to nag someone to use an ability that is ready is more likely to be abused… people accusing healers of hogging healing burst when they’re likely saving it for emergencies, etc, etc.

You’ll already do this on the fly. On paper, it sounds awesome; you’ll see that player X has ability Y ready and tell them to use it as player Z uses… In reality, the best thing is to play and use abilities as required, not to shout out a battleplan. The moment will have gone by the time it’s come to pass, you cannot coordinate in split seconds and shout decisions about it.

[quote=“Slewey, post:13, topic:24550”]
D) It saves time on communication when you can just look at the HUD for a split second instead of asking during a heated fight and again without having to deal with people who refuse to communicate.
[/quote]That’s time you’re not focusing on your own abilities, and not looking at where the monster is, where other player’s are, what the environment around you is like, how you can use all of those things to your advantage. That is all far more important.

The problem is that there is only so much leading to the water before you need to realize that not all horses will drink. Same with video games. Look at the immensely popular LoL, Dota etc… there are no timers for your allies’ abilities and people are still able to coordinate. There needs to be some semblance of responsibility needed from a player. If a player refuses to use a mic, simply don’t play with them again. Do you think that most people who don’t use a mic will listen to people ordering them to use abilities, maybe not.

I like that cooperative games are just that, cooperative. Not a spreadsheet. I agree with Aegis in that knowledge is good, but too much knowledge and it ruins the potential team play. The last thing I want Evolve to Devolve into is a WoW raid style game where one person is broadcasting what everyone else should be doing because he/she/it has access to what everyone can be doing. I don’t want that. I want 3 teammates that can think for themselves and don’t need to be micromanaged.

[quote=“Slewey, post:15, topic:24550”]
You look once and don’t have to worry about it. Instead of “hey whats the cooldown on your shield?” “i said whats the cooldown on your shield? Hello?”
[/quote]That player will be a hindrance anyway if they don’t answer. If they won’t respond to how long left, they won’t use the ability when you tell them anyway.

“Less is more” is an adage regarding minimalism; which this suggestion actually already abides by. Though it modifies the current UI, it does so in a way that does not take up more screen real estate.

You cannot be under the assumption that in every single game you play, you’ll be paired up with teammates who communicate the status of this important information to you. I’d rather place my faith in myself with information at my side than be made to trust someone else who may end up failing me.

A good UI is about presenting information, contextually relevant, and minimizing the amount of cognitive and motor loads on the user. The UI suggested does not place a remotely significant load in either category nor does it pull the user’s focus. When you want the information, you glance your attention to the periphery and acquire it. The data is not pushed, it is pulled.

Honestly, I think your guy’s viewpoints is that you guys rely on different things when playing, but we rely on other things. I think if we both played LoL/Dota, people who support this thread would rely more on CD timers and such while you guys wouldn’t really use them.

Are we having this feature as a toggle because then the discussion of whether it should be added in seems irrelvent since you can turn it on/off for those who would use it or don’t.