Making Models And A Trailer For My Game?

I was making a… game, just a game. Nothing fishy about that, if you can guess one of the most hated games out there? Anyway, I was looking for some good programs to make my models. But I can’t find one that really makes sense to me, plus one that actually work and don’t crash. I’ve been trying to figure out how to make a trailer for my game and make some good models. I tried lots of software and I try to find some tutorial videos, but they never show up of what I’m expecting. Not at all.

Any of you guys know any software I can use to make a trailer and/or models?

For models, I’ve only worked in Inventor and Maya, so those are the only ones I can speak for. They’re good, and Inventor isn’t tough to pick up. Higher-end modeling on it gets really complex, but it looks good if you put time into it. Maya frustrated me for about a month, even with ‘how to’ a book in front of me. Never got to really do much with it, all I ended up figuring out was texturing and coloring. I know it does some amazing character models, though. Lots of stuff on youtube.

@skills4u2envy and @Bloodish might be able to shed more light on the subject. They’re kinda really damn good at this stuff.

Alright. Thanks! I’ll be sure check them out. So far, I’ve tried: Unity, monkey cam or something like that, and my own pre-installed video software which is callled GIMP. Have you ever tried to make a trailer for a game or something?

I haven’t. Don’t know the first thing about trailers. Or video production in general. I’m familiar with Unity, but didn’t know you could film in it. Obviously the “camera” can be controlled, but I had no clue it could be saved or recorded.

Don’t use Maya if you can help it, because you have to buy the license if you are going to do anything with your game and the free version got a lot of annoying pop-ups.

I suggest Blender, it have everything you need.
As for recording, I suggest DXtory, it’s among the best AND most efficient recording software out there and it’s pretty cheap.

I don’t think I can help you much with suggesting software, sadly.
Everything I use is considered top-of-the-line and is fairly expensive; Maya, Mudbox, Zbrush, Adobe Creative Cloud, etc.

I also use DigitalTutors for when I need help or a tutorial for a new program. It’s fairly cheap but still costs money besides a few free ones they have on their site.

@TrickshotMcgee Yeah, Maya has a pretty steep learning curve, and I’m still learning new things and I’ve worked in the program as a student and professionally for about 7 years now LOL

Well gee, I’m happy you thought of me :slight_smile:

As for modeling programs, my go-to program is Maya. I find it the most user friendly in general (menus make sense, yay), and I feel that it has the cleanest workflow overall. It does cost money though, but there’s a free 30 day trial, and there’s also a free student version (but it is only for non-commercial use). The thing about Maya though is that it can do so many different things, so it might be a bit overwhelming. But if you focus only on the modeling and texturing parts of the program I think it’s manageable.

I’ve also worked with 3DS max, which is in many ways the same, but with a different way to go about things. Less user friendly than Maya if you ask me though. And this also costs money, but also has free trial and so on.

Blender is a good alternative if you’re looking for something free, but personally I’m not loving the workflow of the program. It is very shortcut heavy, and some shortcuts will not make a lot of sense if you’re coming from other programs, but if you get used to it, it’s a very solid program, especially considering that it’s free.

There are also scuplting programs like Zbrush and Mudbox which can be great for creating characters or just adding details, but I’m not sure what kind of style you’re aiming for with your characters, and if you’re just starting out, sculpting programs might be overkill at the moment.

Anyways, I’ve rambled for quite a bit now about all sorts of programs. Hope some of it is useful :slight_smile:

I just remembered that Pixologic, the people who make the magical program known as Zbrush, have a free program called Sculptris.

It’s not as great as Zbrush (few programs are), but it’s for beginners and those who want to segue into Zbrush later on.