Make DLC buyable with in game points?

Ok with all the drama with DLC and having to buy it would it be a terrible decision to make DLC buyable with some in game currency along with other stuff of course. You can always buy the DLC with real money for faster payment, but could Evolve make enough money from DLC with in game currency as well? SMITE, League of Legends, and other f2p games do this so is it possible to make this available in Evolve as well?

I would love to here from a developer on this issue. I think the biggest argument is that the revenue from the DLC would not be enough to justify having you be able to buy it with in game currency. You could obviously also make skins for monsters and hunters to boost sales just a thought.

added my response to the reply under this post so i gets read more

Some people are mad because they think they have to spend 100 bucks to get something good out of the game. And that’s a fair argument they already spent 60 bucks straight up for the game they don’t feel like they need to pay more to enjoy it. Even without the DLC the game will be amazing, but the developers want to keep the game running for as long as they can because they love the game and love playing it. They want to make sure people want to play it for a long time. Without DLC the game can get boring after awhile, to keep people playing you need updates to the game more hunters and monsters is a good step. But they also need to keep making money of course so there comes a thin line that is hard to cross. On one side you make DLC buyable with real money but also free if you really want it, with this decision you lose money slightly obviously. But on the plus side you make sure your playerbase is here to stay for a longer time. Now the other option is to make DLC only buyable this option will make you more money in the short term, but may turn off other people in your playerbase because they don’t want to buy anymore.

It comes done to can you still make enough money off DLC with it being free as well, and if you can you always should to keep a healthy playerbase coming back for more.

DLC Pricing

I don’t get the big problem here if you want it buy it if you don’t get over it we should have to hear about it they are a business that needs to make money in order to survive so they will need to charge for some dlc but the maps from what I understand will be free which that alone to me is awesome because if you look at call of duty you have to cough up 15 bucks for 5 maps that you probably don’t ever want any but you want the alien or zombie map so you have to pay for all of it hopefully how they make it is they will release in a group monster and four new hunters that you can buy in a bundle or buy what you want individually at a decent price

Complaints about DLC after article from GameSpot

Some people are mad because they think they have to spend 100 bucks to get something good out of the game. And that’s a fair argument they already spent 60 bucks straight up for the game they don’t feel like they need to pay more to enjoy it. Even without the DLC the game will be amazing, but the developers want to keep the game running for as long as they can because they love the game and love playing it. They want to make sure people want to play it for a long time. Without DLC the game can get boring after awhile, to keep people playing you need updates to the game more hunters and monsters is a good step. But they also need to keep making money of course so there comes a thin line that is hard to cross. On one side you make DLC buyable with real money but also free if you really want it, with this decision you lose money slightly obviously. But on the plus side you make sure your playerbase is here to stay for a longer time. Now the other option is to make DLC only buyable this option will make you more money in the short term, but may turn off other people in your playerbase because they don’t want to buy anymore.

It comes done to can you still make enough money off DLC with it being free as well, and if you can you always should to keep a healthy playerbase coming back for more.

That wall of text…

Dota 2 is the best example of free to play on the market. There is nothing introduced that you can’t acquire without paying for and they still make immense amounts of money and maintain their artistic and creative integrity without the slightest fault. Not to say Evolve should be free to play, but one way to develop a large following is to give people meaningful things to strive toward. Cosmetic items have been proven to be enough. Don’t lock everything behind a pay barrier. People WILL play your game for a long time if they keep being rewarded just for playing it. Having a large following attracts more players and with that more money.

I would argue League is a better example of free to play because it gives more reward for playing. It keeps people playing giving something for them to look forward to. Not going to disagree with what your saying though the only problem is can Evolve make enough money off doing cosmetics and stuff. I would love if they made all DLC free to some extend, but I doubt that will happen.

You seem a bit salty about the concept of dlc. Nothing has even been announced yet. Let’s wait and see what the final product looks like before instantly passing judgements on the dlc

Not salty about anything. They have not said how much DLC will cost but as it is now they don’t plan on making players available to get it without buying it. I’m just suggesting if it’s possible to obtain the DLC without buying it with real cash. It has positives and negatives, but it’s up to the developers.

@SlabOMeat already said we’re having none of this

they did announce one bit of DLC, and that’s the pre-order bonus 4th Monster DLC. Confirmed, Signed, Sealed, Delivered. So they’re definitely going to try and make monsters as DLC where possible.

Though I’ve heard they do cost quite a bit to make, so I’m unsure as to what pricing will be in the future.

Could you be so kind to give me a link to where he said that then?

I think the current structure for Evolve’s DLC is a good one. It repays the Devs for their effort, and everyone gets to experience it to some extent whether you buy it or not.

Plus, look at this post: Complaints about DLC after article from GameSpot

There will be straight up free DLC in the future as well. Also consider that Turtle Rock Studios is a business, and Evolve is a product. If all future DLC could be free, nobody would purchase it. ever. The Devs have made it abundantly clear that they do not intend to bleed people for cash either though. As it is, it is safe to expect affordable new content every now and then.

Can’t find it, but I remember he was replying to a post about f2p

this is only in theory but as you know league lets you purchase champs as well if you don’t want to grind. a newer champ is 6300 ip or roughly 7$. if the dlc monster is sold alone for around 10$( more artwork, more impact on the game) How much in game grinding do you think it would take to get a monster lol. alot of MMO’s do this too. you can buy an item for 10$. or you can use in game money for 300k while each quest is like 10 gold.

Bottom line is, this isn’t going to happen with Evolve.

Bottom line for me is that none of us know whats going to happen with Evolve in regards to DLC (unless you work for 2K). Its great that we have faith in the devs, but it doesn’t hurt talking about it. There is a legitimate concern here imho, and the devs said they’ll listen to the community about ideas on how to handle DLC. So lets talk about it, try not to get too defensive and remain constructive.

I support @Jordian efforts in creating this thread. I think from a competitive stand point, the lack of in-game currency and the fact that certain monster/hunters will be DLC exclusive could haunt TRS later on. However in-game currency is something you have to implement from the beginning of development and have the game structured around it. Its not something you can easily just slap on at the very end of development, unfortunately.

Ideally for me, all hunters and monsters would be free, and TRS could make butt-loads of money from skins and other cosmetics alone. But it does not seem like that is how they’ve structured the game to make money.

Here is an alternate idea to ruminate on. I think MacMan has said that the first 6 months is the most crucial period to sell DLC. After that player populations start dwindling as they do with any game. You want to hook them early during that period. So what if we made all DLC free after 6 months of their release. People will still pay to get it early, but everyone will eventually get to play that hunter/monster without needing to pay extra, so you lessen the bad feelings around the DLC. Additionally you could have a community goal, that after so many copies of a certain DLC’s are sold, that DLC becomes free for everyone immediately. You could have a system where people can gift DLC (easy on steam) and have special skins for people that gift a certain amount, with varying levels. Other players that see those players with the DLC content and skins will feel thankful for that person contributing to the goal…instead of feeling like that player just bought pay to win content. Instead of creating bad feelings with DLC you create good feelings within the community. It spurs people to buy DLC in order to reach the goal, and create warm fuzzy feelings for everyone.

It’d be a nice reality, but it just wouldn’t happen.
If dlc is released free, after people recently have paid for it, that just isn’t fair.
Same with currency, you would feel cheated if you paid for something you could unlock for free.
TRS just is isn’t that kind of studio

Actually it could happen if there is enough grind in place to make the temptation of shortcutting the content worthwhile.

For example in Mechwarrior online there was a pack released that was $90 that included 12 mechs. 4 of the 12 mechs were given a cbill bonus when you play them (time savings by reducing future grind). The 12 mechs (none with cbill bonus) were released over the next 4 months to those that wanted to pay with cbills (in game currency) rather than real money.

A lot of people including myself paid $90 for:

1. Early access
  2. Cbill bonus put on 4 of the 12 mechs.
  3. Very slightly unique skins on the mechs.
  4. Vanity items like some fuzzy dice to hang in your mechs cockpit.
  5. Included paint colours to customize any mechs in your collection mechs.
  6. Included camo patterns to put on the 12 mechs in the pack.
  7. Some premium time that you can activate to give you a cbill/xp bonus on all matches for 90 days.

Same idea could be done for a Hunter pack of 4 for example. Assuming there is some form progression for either currency or unlocks, or some kind of customization you can apply.

Of course you are correct that with no incentives people wouldn’t pay just for the early access necessarily, but with appropriate incentives people will pay for the items I listed above even though it gives them no advantage as far as gameplay goes.

If people have a problem with DLC i think very few of them would be relieved to know that through a very long grind they can obtain the DLC items.

Nobody said anything about a very long grind. You understand there is already some form of unlock system in place regarding hunters and maybe monsters as well.

From what I understand only 4 of the hunters will be unlocked when you start the game and you have to unlock the other 8 hunters through some form of progression.

Are you seriously telling me that if people have a problem with DLC they just want only the 12 hunters available at release and don’t want to hear anything more about additional hunters being added to the game that they might have to play the game to unlock even if they were free?

They wouldn’t want the option to continue unlocking additional hunters the same way the original ones were through playing and progressing the game even if given for free but having the option to get them now by paying money?

Even if you didn’t want to be the ones supporting the game with money why would you not want any DLC at all if it was free but you had to wait a few months for it all to roll out?

You may just be speaking for yourself.

EDIT: Corrected to 12 hunters from 8.

Hate to be picky, but there’ll be 12 Hunters at release. Carry on! :slight_smile: