Last Year: Like Evolve, but a 5 v 1 80's slasher themed survival horror

It’s looking pretty bleak as I doubt it’ll get full funding but I thought it was an interesting concept that the people of this forum might be interested in discussing, or whatever. Guy(s) working on it have worked on Crysis games and AC2, and will give refunds to backers if the goal is not met.

The guy has a lot of cool ideas, like using the “killer was right behind you but now they’re in the room in front of you” trope and turning it into an ability, and using horror stereotypes as classes and such.

What do you guys actually think about this?

5 V 1 Horror Movie Slasher Game
Any games like evolve?!?!?!?!?!?!

Looks like one of those things where the concept is sound enough but the question is whether he can figure out how to make it compelling, balance it, etc. A world of great ideas people can’t execute into a good game unfortunately.

Yea looks like a nice game to play once and a while but nothing ‘BIG’ because you already have some very good horror type games.

What Mame said. Interesting concept, would be hard to execute. It’s not like being a killer can get easily stopped. Also, sounds like perma death so being the first one taken out kinda stinks. Who knows, maybe that would change in development mode. If there was a main balance mechanic that made the killer weak to begin with and only get stronger the longer the game goes on or the more items/equipment they find might prove useful. Small nitpick, but not sure why they consider Cabin in the Woods to be a staple of the Horror Genre. It was parodying all of the horror genre.

I suggest reading the Kickstarter page and updates, he addresses a number of concerns and responds to questions regarding balance and such.

I’d consider it a staple of the horror genre, just not in the traditional sense.

This game is themed kind of like it, in which it takes advantage of cliches much like the Cabin in the Woods, but transitions them into game mechanics and the like.

"Another few comments were saying the Killer seems overpowered. This isn’t the goal - but there are definitely some situations where Survivors wouldn’t stand a chance. The Killer can’t go invisible if he’s within a 10 meter radius or in direct line of sight by Survivors. Survivors won’t ever actually see the Killer’s invisibility transformation take place….that would feel too paranormal and break the atmosphere of the game. It’s more about embracing the the classic trope of the Killer always able to keep up with the victims……even if they run for miles the Killer manages to appear out of nowhere and keep them on their toes. Technically, if Survivors stood in an open field The Killer could never get close enough to attack because Survivors run faster than the Killer. The challenge comes when Survivors are forced to through smaller confined spaces like hallways. A smart Killer will be waiting for you in the right spot and not just rampaging through the map.

It also depends on which survivor class he’s after. If the Killer surprise attacks the Nerd then chances are the Nerd is as good as dead. the Jock would still stand a chance in that situation though, if he has a weapon he could counter the Killer, stun him, and make a run for it. Players need to decide if they want to stick together and protect each other…for example the Jock could walk in front and protect the group.
"

And thats ok. But saying that Cabin in the Woods is a staple in the horror genre along with Friday the 13th is just bad wording. Yes, Cabin in the woods was good and offers a lot of stuff to work with, but it’s not a staple. It’s too new and different to be among Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween.

After backing Darkest Dungeon not to long ago, it’s hard to get hooked on others, as they did a Kickstarter campaign as it should be. They had gameplay footage, plenty of information on both their site as well as on various gaming websites to pump some publicity. So I felt confident pledging money on a project that would see the light of day.

This seems like an interesting concept, but it doesn’t really show anything other than concept stills. Which is good n all? But not something I would just throw money at, as I have no way of knowing how the game would even turn out or if it would even be finished.

They should have done the same as Darkest Dungeon and have waited to atleast give people actual gameplay footage, and not just a showcase of photos.

This is more of an “eh, that sounds cool, here’s $5, if it doesn’t work out I get my money back anyway” kind of thing.

That said I was more interested in what you guys think about it the concept as a whole and not just the kickstarted itself…

This is actually a nifty idea! It’s a good asymmetric thing, and I’ve seen slender mods for multiplayer that have been rather popular. If this ever became a thing, I’d look into it.

pretty cool no lie I would just end up teabagging the scout though

So I heard about this game on kickstarter called Last Year

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lastyear/last-year-5-vs-1-multiplayer-survival-horror

Now the game was already funded when I heard about it so don’t worry about me trying to get you to put money on something that is just an idea as there are alot of reasons and examples as to why you wouldn’t want to and I understand.

I just thought you guys would like to check it out as it is another team v one game.

Note: The game’s kickstarter page I have linked will explain this in much better detail as I’m just giving the rundown and I know the game is really just on paper right now but I still think its pretty cool. So here we go.

THE GAME

The game is inspired by the classic slasher movies like ‘Friday the 13th’, ‘Halloween’ and others like them. It centres around five teenagers and the Killer. The goal of the teenagers is to find keys and gas so they can start the getaway car and escape the Killer. Their alternative goal can be to try an kill the Killer but it would prove differcult and requires very good team work to pull off. The Killer’s goal is simple ‘KILL THE TEENAGERS!’ and every one has 1 life even the Killer.

TEENAGERS

In this group are five classes

The Nerd/Technician - Repairs various machinary around the map.
The Popular Girl/Scout - Things like weapons, flashlights and even the Killer are hilighted in her vision making her the lookout of the group.
The Jock/Assault - Can go toe to toe whith the Killer. Able to hurt and stun him giving a window of escape.
The Nerdy Girl/Medic - Heals teammates
(I’m not racist especialy since I’m black but this is inspired by old horror slasher movies and this was very common with them)
The Black Kid/Support - Same as the Jock but less beefy and can lay traps to slow the Killer.

THE KILLER

Team of one
They said that there will be multiple killers to chose from with their own unique weapons.

The Killer is strong but is not as quick as the teenagers. This is where predator mode comes into play. The killer can only enter this mode when out of sight, when in this mode the killer is twice as fast as the teenagers and invisible allowing him to stalk his prey but cannot attack while in this mode and needs to spawn behind a door in order to leave predator mode. When I say door I don’t mean a spawn point but a door to a room that the teenagers can enter in, even a room where their objective might be.

Objective

The teenagers start with nothing and must explore the area for flashlights and weapons as well as fuel and keys for the car. During this the Killer can do things to tip the odds in his favor such destroying the power generator that cuts out the lights, giving the teenagers less visability. He can also cut the phone line which can stop the teenagers from reviving dead teammates into police officers. This is where the Nerd comes in as he can repair these but will you send him out alone, send someone with him or go as a group because remeber they all have one life so if the Technician dies no way to repair, if the Medic dies no healing, if the Jock dies no protection and so on.

There is much more info in the Kickstarter page I linked so check it out.

I think its pretty cool and the developer is no rookie and has worked on games such as Crysis, Far Cry 3, Assasins Creed and many others (The previous Assassins Creed games not the…

well…

you know…

There was already a thread on this. That being said, it will be interesting if this comes out better than I think it will. There are a few red flags that I have concerning it, but who knows.

The stalker mode thing reminds of the infected re spawn mechanic from l4d

Very similar. Hard to balance that to.

Uuuh, is that not basically the premise of Damned? Hopefully this one is done better. But yeah, Damned is pretty good for scares, but the monster is very, very… unsatisfying to play as. A lot of waiting. Very little chasing.

I think the problem with Damned is that you couldn’t really interact with the ‘heroes’ outside of one of them that actually assaults them directly. It felt like more of a haunted mansion type game then a versus game.

Yeaaah. Like I said, I really hope they do this one better than Damned, I was very disappointed in the lack of interaction.

I’d love to get my murderface on. I mean, on a game other than Evolve :'D

This looks really interesting, I can’t believe I missed the kickstarter.

This was posted on the forums before, but it seems like not everyone seen it. More publicity to this game will always be nice!