Kurrent Kelder Balance

How are people finding Kelder right now? I’ve been in a few matches and been immediately shrekked when the fights started. I wanted to know what the opinions of the better qualified are, since A) I’m an awful hunter, B) it was in a PUG and C) the patch is only just out.

What are your thoughts on the current state of play with Kevin™?

Elder kraken new buff is a little to much

Well if it’s a expert or above were done for. He’s stupid strong at least on ps4.

He’s really strong on Xbox now too.

A: I can’t play Kelder right now, but I did love how he played out

B: Is the K in Current in the title supposed to be like that?

Yes, the K was intentional. I briefly considered trying to find another word I could do that to to replace Balance, but then I realized that might be a bad idea…

I am konfused about Kelder. I see so many people just stand in death spiral. Of course he’s gonna feel strong if you just bask in its warm embrace instead of move.

I haven’t played in quite some time though I played a few matches as him yesterday. I’m a mediocre monster player, but I did quite well with him. Death spiral pounce is pretty devastating.

I lost pretty consistently with him pre-patch, and killed them with NP. After patch, I haven’t lost as him, or won against him. I’m not claiming OP… Yet. But definetly stronger.

Kelder overall is ok but his Banshee missile is insane.

The lightning strike change was too big. The bubble is so big it’s hard to dodge.

I think the LS and Missile buffs were too much. At stage one he is manageable, at stage two he is challenging, and at stage three he is just about unbeatable unless you did a lot of damage beforehand.

I think the best comp to deal with EK is Laz/Bucket/Maggie/Torvald or Rogue/Cabot/Maggie/Hyde

Val/Sunny isn’t as good(still good though) but it is safer when blindpicking.

Kelder is the slowest monster in the game, afaik. It should be pretty easy to catch him in at least one S1 dome, and he can’t mitigate for shit with his big head and cumbersome movements. So, like with Bob, don’t let him get to stage three with so much health. Pick good domes and spread way out, don’t lose line of sight with each other, don’t let him lure you into caves, etc. Monsters seem ridiculous right now because hunter players have developed bad habits and have not had to have their strategies down when fighting anything but Kraken.

I’m not complaining, I can actually use Gorgon in a match with level 40s now! and Wraith… she hasn’t even changed much but the melee hitbox updates and the improved targeting makes her fly like a dream :smiley:

I think it’s just a case of bad habits mixed with unfamiliar monsters which are played by veteran players who have gotten used to playing with a handicap. Unfortunately, I think that makes it difficult for hunters to adapt, as they get destroyed before they can think things through and try different tactics.

He isn’t as slow anymore but still probably is the slowest. You can really only take advantage of that with a Griffin or Sunny though. He is fast enough.

The thing is, Kelder at stage one is rediculously strong right now(for a S1). All of his one point abilities have larger or similar sized hit boxes as three point abilities used to.

Even at stage one, if the hunters make one mistake it’s a strike and possibly a death because of Kelder’s range. And it’s not like it’s that hard to get to S2 on some maps.

Sure, you can do all the tips you said but if you fuck one of them up there’s a huge chance it’s GG. At least with the comps I suggested, as long as your playing the characters right you have a better chance right off the bat.

The whole patch has put a lot of pressure of trappers in general. They are easily the most important role to have a stellar player in now. All because FT3 is stronger than ever.

That’s one of the consequences of things being so bursty in the game as it is now, as a monster you generally need to blast in, beat the sh*t out of them as fast as possible to keem them off-balance and get a strike or two. If you don’t it’s just wasted health. I’d love to see some kind of fatigue system where instead of a binary strike they would slowly have their max health reduced when taking damage. That way even if they get a miracle 1% heal burst it wasn’t all completely pointless.

He’s definitely still slow enough that you can keep on him on the chase, though. There are a lot of hunters who can make the chase hell for a monster. They’re just not necessarily the characters people are comfortable with. And that’s fine, people just need to adapt. Which takes time.

As for his attacks being big, they are also slow to get off and either have a tiny range or stay in one spot. It’s painfully easy to dodge his moves. The only thing that I can see reasonably doing consistent, strong damage is the banshee missile if he sneak pounces and uses it immediately after. Lightning Strike looks big but it’s telegraphed and stays in one spot upon being triggered. Chain Lightning is a joke, but Death Spiral does good damage. If you sit in it.

Also, I keep seeing people saying that one fuck up as a hunter means a loss. When has that not been true? If your medic failed to take a rock throw at a crucial moment pre-patch, it usually meant a wipe. If the assault popped his shield late and went down, the monster was free to engage as long as he wanted with little threat. Usually resulting in a wipe. It’s no different, it just seems like it’s worse because hunters are making those kinds of mistakes more often against unfamiliar monsters.

Yeah trappers are important, but it’s always been that way. A FT3 Kraken was also extremely strong, but it wasn’t unbeatable. It took a while, but hunter teams got good and developed strategies to deal with him. People need to take a breath and analyze what they are doing wrong, instead of lamenting that they can’t win now.

Things have always been pretty bursty in Evolve. It’s been moving away from that direction for the most part, but it’s nothing new. This micropatch is just a wake-up call to hunters so they stop treating monsters like they can just play against them any way they want.

The only buff Kelder should have got was a buff to his chain lighting. Nothing else. His pounce was super OP and now that his abilities are buffed, he is extremely deadly at close range.

I know a Kraken main that has played since release and he agrees that Kelder is OP. On PC, he is also a living nightmare.

I never thought Elder Kraken had issues with damage that were specific to him. And so did the majority of the community, at least from what I saw. People complained he was too slow and got domed and killed at S1 too much.

But what did TRS do? Buff his abilities and melees and speed. Elder has good melee damage. The most damaging monster melees(Now with better hit boxes) and he has good abilities as well. It’s too easy.

You can’t dodge a LS after being juggled by a heavy or stunned by a missile. The problem is they buffed Kelder’s abilities at range while not nerfing his burst at close range, which was always his strong point. [quote=“Terry_Locke, post:18, topic:86417”]
Also, I keep seeing people saying that one fuck up as a hunter means a loss. When has that not been true? If your medic failed to take a rock throw at a crucial moment pre-patch, it usually meant a wipe. If the assault popped his shield late and went down, the monster was free to engage as long as he wanted with little threat. Usually resulting in a wipe. It’s no different, it just seems like it’s worse because hunters are making those kinds of mistakes more often against unfamiliar monsters.
[/quote]

To a degree. Before, letting the monster stage up wasn’t a mistake. I like that it is now, for sure. The hunters should be inclined to not let the monster stage up like they are now, but Elder Kraken at S2 and S3 is too strong.

You can’t miss domes, nor can you throw a dome with a loop in it(which is nigh impossible on some maps, cough broken hills). If you aren’t getting 3 bars of health a dome, the game is in the monster’s hands. It has not always been that way. Hunters could have a chance with a full health S3(not Kraken) but now this is not the case at all. ESPECIALLY with Kelder that has huge ability hitboxes at S3 and also larger melee hitboxes and probably the best traversal for a melee monster in combat.

Elder Kraken might be fine once FT3 is blocked, but as of now? No.