Kraken: OP? UP? Somewhere delightfully in between? (Current Kraken Discussion)

Please use this thread to discuss the current iteration of :kraken_stare:.

Is Aftershock too oppressive?
If I see Kraken, I Just Leave the Match (Kraken Balance Discussion)
The real problem with the Kraken
Do you think Kraken is OP? (poll)
What TRS has thinking of make a flying Squidward?
Do you think Kraken is OP? (poll)
Little suggestion for Kraken denying revives
Kraken totally OP
Evolves problems and some ways to fix them
Kraken fixes! he's still OP
TRS! please ignore all the future Kraken OP posts to come
The real problem with the Kraken

Let me start off by saying I am on console, and I find every other monster bearable to fight against. But at this point in time, Kraken is just broken to all hell (Behemoth is too, don’t get me wrong) and chosen by near all people I get matched with. A combination of the aftershock hitbox, pounce hitbox, heavy attack hitbox, near CC immunity. It’s just too much of a task to fight him at this point.

“Learn to aim, you’ll do fine then.” I can aim just fine. It’s a combination of Krakens near CC immunity and insanely bursty movement that makes him too unpredictable. I’m able to get a good 5 or 10 seconds of sustained fire on him before his traversals are back and he is able to move out of my line of sight in one traversal. It doesn’t help this situation that CC doesn’t really slow his fly speed down, or pull him down unless all 5 are on him at all. Stasis seem to do practically nothing, whilst most Krakens spam air melee when flying, so any Harpoons are usually broken instantly, making Stasis the only viable counter to his flying, but they hardly affect him.

Aftershock. This, is a bit of an annoyance at this point. It seems to do nearly half health damage, and paired with the dive bomb Kraken tactic, it is nearly undodgable unless paired with Sunny. I feel as it stands at this point, it’s nearly and easy win button (on console at least). Given most pubs I join can result in 50-100+ ping (my internet is fine idk why), this makes Aftershock all the more deadly as it results in damaging outside of the hitbox. The same is happening for Lightning Strike (minus the dive bomb strat).

Banshee Mines. I believe these are balanced for the most part. When they are running at their maximum range, they explode on their own, and deal a fair amount of damage further than they would if they hit a hunter.

Heavy Attack. This is a severe annoyance as it can be used directly out of a pounce, and seems to hit from an infinite amount of angles, and has a large range. A large amount of times since Lennox’s launch, I’ve caught a Kraken grounded with their back to me, laying into them with the Plasma Lance to see them heavy attack someone infront of me, at least I thought, but they were hit, and so was I, being directly behind it. This happens uncommonly, though frequently. I have also been hit from the sides. Its range has seem to gone to an extreme as I have been hit being 20m in front of him (yes from the melee).

Pounce hitbox. I feel as though this has been mentioned so many times on other threads that it needs no explanation.

Cross-dome-body-camping. Oh boy, here we go. His air melee does prevent revives and typically are fired about every half a revive bar. There is time inbetween to revive, yes, but not enough to revive unless there’s a Lazarus. Thus meaning if you don’t have a Lazarus, if Kraken wants someone dead, they’re dead. Not much can be done besides punish, and prolong the death.

This is just why I personally feel as though I have a vendetta against Kraken. I believe these reasons make Kraken the least fun monster to fight. And if these are fixed, he will probably be much more fun to fight than he is right now. These are also the reasons that I tend to avoid fighting Kraken like the plague.

Easy to remedy. Do not bunch up and just Tank the Damage. The problem with Aftershock is if more than 1 person gets hit by it. One of the Devs agreed that it is tough to dodge and that their squad just makes sure only one gets hit and then heals immediately. The problem was Aftershock was barely used because it was garbage, now it is.

I don’t know exactly what the hitbox is but given the Kraken is whacking you with tentacles, it is believable that it could have a larger range than the other monsters who use their arms.

Yeah this is the only part I agree 100% on and I feel a lot of the community does too. I know the Devs have said at one point they wanted to give a way for Kraken to body camp and that a grounded Kraken = Dead Kraken but I feel that is a poor argument. Every other Monster (excluding Rock Wall Behemoth) often trades a significant amount of health or armor to ensure a Hunter is killed except Kraken. I understand that the idea is you don’t want to force a Kraken into that kind of situation but I believe that is something the player should decide when choosing Monsters. You have to trade off the body camping for the higher mobility.

Your whole CC argument is weak though. You do remember back before the fix when it didn’t pull him down or slow him right? Also Abilities stopped gravity from pulling down a Kraken. An 8 second Tranq could be cancelled out by a 2.1 second Lightning Strike, Traversal, Banshee Mines, Traversal, followed by a 2 second Aftershock. All without slowing the Kraken in the air or pulling it to the ground. Now even in combat I see good Krakens hit the ground more often and have to burn a Traversal just to get in the air again.

If you never fight them, you will never get better.

I too hate the dreaded Monster. Goliath requires skill, so does Behemoth, but Kraken and sometimes Wraith can be the most anti-fun Monsters to fight. Kraken is nigh unstoppable and Wraith (if it is a flee til three Wraith) is impossible to kill as 3 warp blast is nearly undodge-able and the speed of the Wraith allows it to easily flee til three, then with dumb pub teamates the Wraith has an easy win when Trapper tries doming a S3 solo, then Medic runs to save him then Support follows and I’m sitting at the relay awaiting my swift and inevitable death.

Kraken is the worst though. Nigh impossible to kill unless its a bad Kraken player so if the Monster chooses Kraken and loses then I believe I have the right to mock him post-match and if he wins then Kraken is a crutch Monster anyway.

They need to make stasis bring kraken to the ground, other than that I’m happy

It does, if you have Crow it’s fantastic. Abe not so much unless he’s on top of those Grenades.

Just pulling this bit out. Kraken’s Heavy attacks will hit you even if the tentacles miss. I believe the justification is you are being hit by a shockwave, since his tentacles are charged when he swings them and sort of claps them together. I figure if that is the case though, it should probably do reduced damage.

Lol.

This besides, I pretty much agree with everything said here, although unlike a lot of people I don’t think Kraken is completely broken. I just think he needs some tweaking to balance out some of his moves.

Behemoth, on the other hand…

I say make Kraken air strike not cancel revives, and then a body camper will have to go to the ground.
Then we go from there.

Aftershocks absurd damage + range and across the dome body camping are my biggest issues.

Are you sure? I main crow as trapper and hit kraken with a full charge stasis and it stays in flight

This is the only thing I really hate about Kraken lol

I’m waiting for the day when someone makes a thread like this about Goliath.

Fighting kraken is a game of patience, you need to be more concerned with mitigating the damage he does rather than dealing damage. Kraken can be seen throughout the dome, unless he breaks line of sight, like you said. Slim objects can also hinder kraken’s abilities, so try to fight in domes where there are a lot of slim objects.

There have been such threads, that get totally shut down.

Really? I’ve seen it about Wraith, about Behemoth, and now Kraken, but I have yet to see someone say “WHEN I SEE GOLIATH, I JUST LEAVE.”

I can imagine whoever would write that to just stomp their feet and go “GOD DAMMIT, HE’S JUST TOO DAMN VANILLA. GRRR!”

Well, I did play with one guy who said he respected me because I used Goliath when I had my turn at Monster.

Does that count?

Yes - It’s so opposite of what I said, it counts.

I was so tempted to just make a new thread called

And the only description would be:

I wanted to as well, but I’m already running the Say SOmething Random thread, the In-Depth Covnersation about Cheeseburgers thread, and the Nerf Sunny’s Personality thread.