It's happening again (Live-Action TLA announced)

We’re all just humble cabbage salesman, hopelessly trying to keep our vegetables intact amidst the chaos around us which constantly dashes our hopes and dreams.

the streaming service is working on a “reimagined” take on Aang’s story

Why?

Why try and change it? Why try and change a good story? Sure, TLA wasn’t 100% perfect, but it got damn close to that. Why risk pissing off so many people by trying to redesign the cart that is the Avatar franchise, when you can just take it and stick something new to it?

The media industry is undergoing reboot fever. There’s no real good reason, it’s just that studios want to re-hash what people are already familiar with instead of publishing entirely new classics. I can’t claim to be into anime, but I can’t imagine how anyone can wonder why it’s so big right now when this shit’s happening to Western media.

With how insultingly terrible the live action movie is, I don’t care one bit for this. Especially since other Netflix live action anime adaptions are also disappointing. It’s a little disheartening that this is the only expansion of the series we are likely to get.

So, not sure if those of you getting your angry charged up have read the full news, but it’s a live action version that is involving the original creators.

It’s no secret that they wanted to do more than Nickelodeon let them with Airbender/Korra, and this may be a route to them getting to tell more of the stories from this world than Nickelodeon let them.

While I was somewhat less concerned when I first saw that news, I’m still salty that we’re getting this rather than something new. The anime-ass art style went a long way in defining the franchise, and stripping that from TLA in a new reboot is unnecessary. We’re getting something we don’t really want or need. If it’s any good, then I’ll watch it; but I don’t want this to exist in place of something else. I want something new and original in this universe. There’s just no real reason for this to be happening other than “because money.”

My main issue isn’t with the story. I have full confidence that the writers are competent and love their creation enough to do the lore and universe justice.

The place I object is with live action adaptation. It simply isn’t capable of being as unique or crazy as animation is. And when they try, it generally looks terrible. See: nearly every vfx-heavy movie or show in the last decade, barring James Cameron’s Avatar and a few others, because they were smart enough to rely more on leaving live actors out of most scenes.

Overall, I have no doubt it would be a fun story. But I have no confidence they’re going to nail a single one of the visuals well enough to wash out the bad taste of the live action movie from a few years ago. Animation is capable of being consistently appealing and can have the same style throughout. This is not.

The difference between a live actor and animated 3D effects is often just bad compared to a fully animated series.

Moreover, both the Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist live action adaptations that Netflix did are disappointing. So their track record of turning older animation into newer live action is 0 for 2. This doesn’t inspire any confidence in me at all. And I haven’t touched their live version of Bleach. Based on the other two, I really don’t want to. I didn’t even like the anime version of Kakegurui, so I won’t even try the live one. I assume it follows suit with the other things I’ve seen, though.

What really disappoints me is that Netflix can make beautiful animated series. Castlevania is a prime example. A well-animated series, with excellent choice in voice acting, and a very fitting art style for the genre of show.

In the end I am more disappointed than angry or “charged”, as you said. I grew up on TLA. It’s sad.

Nothing exists in place of something else that way. These people have made “the dragon Prince” so new content from the creators is there. This is something else, and clearly animated avatar or korra content isn’t on the cards.

Like kek says, if you like it then great, watch it. If you don’t then just let it pass. It’s not ruining anything or stopping some hypothetical other thing from happening.

People need to, for their own mental health, stop thinking if things they enjoyed while growing up as properties that must only ever exist as they experienced them, and instead recognise they what they experienced was a form of the property that they enjoyed. Nothing new takes away from what you loved, you can always still just watch animated TLA and be happy :slight_smile:

This message wss brought to you by “being bored as hell about outrage towards star wars, ghost busters, tmnt, she ra, etc.”

Oh, I’m aware of that. Doesn’t stop me from being sad that we won’t be getting another animated series. I’m fine with the existence of live action stuff. I just don’t like it. And it’s disappointing that this is the first - and probably only - new story about the OG group we will have gotten.

While this is a good point, I don’t think it’s unhealthy for me to feel that live action adaptation is a poor form of creation or continuation. Sure, it needs to evolve and can change based on what the creators (and the people giving them money) feel it should be, but I don’t like the style of these things.

And if, one day god willing, they make a new animated TLA series, I expect fans of the live action series to gripe the same way I am.

I am sure most of us know that this new thing doesn’t change what already exists. But still, it’s sad to see something we love being taken down a road we don’t like.

Like if they adapted Harry Potter into a musical 10 years down the road. It might be entertaining, but would also be moderately disappointing to see that it turned into something I don’t enjoy. Or if the Alien franchise turned into an Adam Sandler comedy series. There would be rioting. Much rioting

That’s not necessarily bad, either. I am allowed to dislike or express distaste for something nostalgic to me when the continuation is something that doesn’t appeal to the love I have for the original. Even if the story is good, I won’t enjoy the medium I see it on.

The only issue I had with ghost busters was the casting. Kristen Wiig is the only one of the group I find funny.

Same issue with star wars tbh. I don’t like several of the people in it. Other than that, it’s fine by me.

It’s really the same reason I haven’t watched the Clone Wars animated series. I am 90% sure I would enjoy the story, but I am 100% sure I hate the art style. As much as I may enjoy the content, the medium limits the enjoyment I can glean from it.

Saaaaame reason I haven’t watch RWBY, too. And why I won’t go back and play N64 games (or anything considered “retro”).

I’m as much of an advocate for this mentality as anyone, but if a reboot is to be made, it must add something. There’s really nothing to add to TLA. It explored its own concepts well enough the first time around that any possible additions to its ideas can be sufficiently explored with sequels and spinoffs. I’ll eat my words if this reboot blows us away by bringing something totally new to the Avatar franchise; but as it stands, it’s highly unlikely that it ever could, no matter who was behind it.

Reboots can be good, but they can also be frustrating because of how useless and unnecessary they are. Consider the Beauty and the Beast movie: literally the only good thing to come of it was the fact that I had a chance to make the joke “Man, I can’t believe they cast a black guy as Asgore.” It didn’t add anything to the original concept, it wasn’t a good movie in its own right, and therefore it’s entirely justified to get peeved over it because it has no reason to exist.

Now, consider Transformers: Animated. Holy crap, this brought so many new concepts to the table. It showed the iconic Optimus Prime at a different time in his life (one might say he was in his prime), and that alone changed so much about how everything worked out. The whole show brought in new ideas coupled with fresh re-imaginings of old ones, and now it’s one of the most beloved Transformers shows around even though everyone hated its very concept before it even aired.

And yes, there’s an irony in me using that example. Like I said, I’ll take back all my negativity if the live-action TLA adds something new. But as it stands, there’s no reason to believe that’s even possible. It’s such a niche, weird concept; changing the medium won’t be enough to justify this reboot.

Well it’s obviously not for everyone but if they can do it in a way that some could enjoy that didn’t like the cartoon then that’s great.

You still have your show and others will have this. This in no way changes the past experience.

That doesn’t give it an excuse to exist in place of something new and original, even if it’s within the same franchise.

Sure it does. Obviously someone wants it or it wouldn’t exist. Original is great and all but originality for the sake of being original usually under-performs.

For all you know this could be the best thing since sliced bread.

There is no reason to “add something new” beyond a fresh set of voices to a previous IP. The only time I will generally agree with this is when remaking things that are less than 10 years old (or 5 years of intended for kids) because the original is generally literally still around. But again, the caveat for that is remaking foreign IP because there is very much an audience that won’t watch something that isn’t “domestic”, and certainly won’t consider watching things with subtitles or … And this is where this is relevant to this thread … Is a “cartoon”.

If someone wants to remake something essentially word for word, frame for frame, let them. They obviously see a business case for it, which means they obviously see an audience for it… A new audience that wouldn’t otherwise be as likely to find the original version but will enjoy seeing it.

When it comes to “why” something shouldn’t be remade, people having opinions or love for the original is not relevant. It feels like it’s relevant because culture has brought us up to define ourselves by what we enjoyed watching/reading/playing/listening to and letting other people access that experience feels like it’s diminishing our own “unique” development. But it’s not :slight_smile:

But why? This is the crux of the star wars fandom conundrum, for example. People assume because they love a franchise that they then have a right to love everything that is related to it, and that the franchise somehow “becomes” something else instead of diversifying in to something else, and in doing so they derive disappointment.

I understand it, but take your alien example. I didn’t like Prometheus, I didn’t watch the sequel to that because if it. I loved alien and aliens. I was disappointed that Prometheus wasn’t what I was looking for from the franchise, so I do understand, but really that is the point where you just have to disconnect because starting to then extrapolate that in to the franchise “becoming” something rather than just having this other thing existing as part of it is where obsessive behavior and gate keeping starts from.

Not trying to suggest that views on here, about TLA, are that extreme, but it seemed like a thread to maybe vent some views about the sorry state of “fandom” right now.

Because creating the exact same thing over again would be pointless?

There is an equilibrium between making something new that’s pretentious for being new and remaking something to which there is nothing you can add in a remake. We’ve already been told Aang’s story. We don’t need to be told it again.

We already have bread, and it’s perfectly good bread. Even if this new bread tastes better, it’s still bread in different packaging. Maybe waffles would do us some good. The bread has a really long shelf-life, so why do we need more? Anyone who didn’t like the first loaf probably won’t like this new one because the good qualities of the old one were what defined it in the first place.

Yes there is, it’s the chance to take old media and either reboot it with a different interpretation or add something interesting to existing canon. Flawed or not, LoK introduced a lot of new concepts to the Avatar universe. It served a function. It gave itself a purpose and expanded on the original idea. If media simply regurgitates pre-existing concepts, then it’s just a hollow void that could otherwise be filled by something we haven’t seen before that’s just as good.

Nor is that the problem here. I liked TLA, and I got some enjoyment out of LoK. If you can prove to me that this live-action reboot will change the way we look at the Avatar franchise, explore parts of the concept we’ve never seen, and stand on its own 2 feet without needing nostalgia for the original to appreciate it, I will accept it. The issue is that it’s so unlikely that it can because the franchise has already gone really deep into itself.

That’s not the problem, though. The original SW still exists, everyone knows that. But not only are the new movies bad (TLJ in particular), they don’t really add anything. In fact, they just raise questions about the original that don’t make any sense. TFA was only barely passable enough to warrant caring about where the series would go next, and TLJ is so insultingly bad that it’s kind of infuriating to see that shit exist in place of something that expanded on the identity of the franchise.

In place of TLJ, why couldn’t we get something good? Or at least partly competent? By getting something that sucks and has nothing to say from an objective standpoint, the franchise “diversified” into something negative. If it had diversified into something that was interesting, unique, and meaningful, then ironically, the only critics left would be whiny fanboys.

That itself is what’s likely to happen, though.

It’s re-imagination, so it won’t. And this time Nickelodeon won’t be breathing down at their necks. A more mature version of ATLA will be better.

But how can we be so certain that it will be a worthwhile re-imagining instead of just a rehash of TLA? The only significant way I can think to change it is to improve Ozai’s character.

It was already mature. Unless you mean “mature” as in “edgy blood and guts and sex scenes and profanity,” it’s hard to go up from TLA’s maturity without killing the original vibe.