Improving the Pubs

releasing tutorials for all the hunters that require you to do certain task with them to show that you understand all of the skills of that specific hunter or monster. you must play the tutorial of lets say lazurus offline, after you first unlock him, and not until after you pass the tutorial playthrough with 3 stars can you then unlock online multiplayer with that character.
I cant tell you guys how much better all the pubs will be with this tutorial trails idea. lets get rid of the bad pubs and make sure that they dont just go to the bathroom when that tutorial plays for the first time after they unlock their new character.

everyone was thrown into a monster tutorial at the very beginning of the game, imagine if all you had to do is get pass the tutorial with the following…
no stars = character online playability locked (it is almost impossible to get no stars in a tutorial)
one star = character online playability unlocked
two stars = character online playability unlocked & bonus exp.
three stars = character online playability unlocked, bonus exp., and tutorial mastery skin unlocked :smiley:

Online: As you play the character getting all of the skills one starred, unlocking the next tier! :smiley:
then the cycle starts over again.

tutorial star one, finish online character skills with all one star , unlock new character , tutorial star one, etc., etc.

People would flame it… Because personally their would be a lot of people who are like screw Cabot… I’m good with just having hank…and they would cry even more about unfair obstacles in the way of multiplayer…

Awesome idea… I just don’t think it could be implemented well

I also don’t believe it would get rid of the majority of HORRIBLE players on our servers… Because those players are mainly horrible because they don’t know WHEN to use skills not HOW…

Like the support who never EVER uses invis, until he gets focused… But then flames the whole team cause medic didn’t keep him up (even though we have laz…) Once we can eliminate online selfishness then this game will be unbalanced in hunters favor… Cause well all be pro :smile:

And on a side note I personally believe that the PUB quality of life is generally increasing on ps4

I hate to break it to you, but this game isn’t just for the “good players”.

You want to understand more about why the playerbase is dying? That sentiment, right there. Nobody wants to play public games with bunch of elitist pricks who berate and criticize every damn move made.

You want to know how to improve pubs? Stop playing them. People like you. Just stop. Bitching and moaning like a baby isn’t going to help.

I don’t think this would be helpful for two reasons:
1: having more barriers between characters would reduce the willingness to even try new characters, which is bad because…
2: The main issue isn’t playing your own class well, it’s playing in sync to OTHERS well. I think one of the main weaknesses in PUGs (other then THE main weakness, which is the lack of coordination that comes from not being an actual team or group of friends) is that people often don’t know how characters work other than the two or three they always play (for example, when you run into people who don’t get that Laz removes strikes, and will pick people up while he’s trying to revivify).

The solution to this is LESS barriers, not more. Personally I think every character should be available from the get go to promote a greater diversity of experience. You can’t really understand how a character works until you actually play as that character.

What they should do is add more video tutorials and have hands on situational tutorials ex. Monster is about to run into a cave with no armor and you are hank - orbital drop the entrance. And not forcing people to play it cause of reasons mentioned above

Though i dont know if itd be possible to add this stuff

Huh… Idk what in my post you interpreted as contrary to your point but OK… Have a nice day!!!

Sorry my post made u salty

Edit: Not really :wink:

Shouldn’t force people to play like that. What they should do is make people watch the advance tutorial the second time they pick a character

Yep, this was my exact thought. And they really need to shove it down players throats what their role is… “YOU’RE THE MEDIC! HEAL HEAL HEAL! NOBODY ELSE CAN!”

what if the pubs cant read :smirk: i let my 3 year old cuz play

We once had a medic that would not heal, AND a trapper that wouldn’t throw domes. And when they would, (Once), they missed and left the dome up for the whole duration. The monster evolved and go full armor by the time we caught up.

In another game, we had a Laz pick people up with X! YOU HAVE THE LAZARUS DEVICE AND IT DOES NOT JUST REVIVIFY DEAD THINGS! USE THE LAZARUS DEVICE TO REVIVE THE GUY LAYING ON THE GROUND!!!
-picks him up normally-
-Screams of rage from other hunters-

We really can’t fix pubs. All we can do is hope ranked mode works well and maybe it will help with getting people at your skill. I just don’t see them putting something like this into the game. Mainly because people would get very upset over this.

I personally don’t understand why some people refuse to try everything. You can learn so much just by playing as everything (at least until you get a good general grasp).

I think the tutorials is one area where TRS dropped the ball with this game. There is so much that isn’t mentioned in the tutorials that I think is essential to be successful in this game.

There is no mention of the “combat state” system (damaging the monster if he is within a certain distance of the hunters causes his stamina to regenerate faster, causes footprints to disappear) in the tutorials, I don’t think the strike system is well explained, and most of all they really don’t offer any basic tips for playing the game (especially on the hunter side, such as cut the monster off instead of blindly following the tracks, splitting into teams of two to corner the monster, don’t damage the monster while giving chase before you dome him, etc…).

I know this stuff seems obvious to most of us but to someone who doesn’t know much about Evolve and wants to give it a try this info would go a long way to helping that person adapt to the game.

I also think that playable tutorials for each character would be a huge help as well (that definitely would help with Laz’s not reviving with the laz device for instance). I don’t think it would have been a good idea to make it mandatory to play each characters tutorial before allowing them to be used online, but they could have put in an incentive to play through each characters tutorial such as awarding mastery progress and/or a skin for that character.

I get TRS wanting to allow players to discover stuff on there own (circling birds not appearing in caves for instance) but I really think they left out too much important information about how to be successful at playing Evolve in their tutorials.

I also think that had the tutorials been better then not so many people would have gotten frustrated with Evolve early on and labeled the game as being “A 20 minute chase followed by a short, one-sided fight”.

Concern about newcomers

What are the competitive people supposed to play then? This game doesn’t have any ranked/competitive mode so for now you have to deal with all kinds of people in skirmish. You are right this game isn’t just for the “good players”. it’s for all of us. Now we just need to wait for the devs to make different playlists for different people.

And sorry to break it to you, but the game isn’t dying because of the competitive players. It’s dying because the devs haven’t supported the game well enough.

Well like I said, part of the problem is people just don’t want to play the 3-4 matches necessary to unlock the next tier character. For example, I’ve never played a match as Cabot, despite having logged more than 100 hours. Hank has always just been too good of a choice, and the occasional matches I’ve played as Bucket haven’t gotten me far enough to unlock Cab yet.

Personally I think everything should just be unlocked from the start; in all honesty, the tiers weren’t set up with an incredibly natural progession (Caira is EASILY the most noob friendly medic, Markov isn’t any less complex than Pharnell, and neither is Cabot compared to Hank (at least based on what I’ve seen).

im not trying to force pubs to be good, but i also dont want pubs to see a tutorial coming up and just think," AH bathroom break".
everyone was thrown into a monster tutorial at the very beginning of the game, imagine if all you had to do is get pass the tutorial with the following…
no stars = character online playability locked (it is almost impossible to get no stars in a tutorial)
one star = character online playability unlocked
two stars = character online playability unlocked & bonus exp.
three stars = character online playability unlocked, bonus exp., and tutorial mastery skin unlocked :smiley:

online as you play the character getting all of the skills one starred, unlocking the next tier! :smiley:
then the cycle starts over again.

tutorial star one, finish online character skills with all one star , unlock new character , tutorial star one, etc., etc.

This in no way will hurt the game. this in no way will force the devs to separate the good players from the pubs with multiple servers. this in no way will make people stop playing. the game is already super easy after the character masteries were nerfed for the third time. Some people actually play a game to progress up (call of duty black ops 2 prestige system). what do you do when you unock all the characters, have everyone mastered(which is easy now) and reach lvl 40??? you go play a new game until dlc comes out. Maybe im just ignorant to the huge problem ou guys see with this simple idea of learn then play. it seems like all this will do is divide the people from those how arent lazy and those who are.

You need to control yourself, the forums is not a place for you to complain about the game not handing everything to you like a small child. please grow up and learn to express your concerns in a more appropiate manner.

Agreed. It’s honestly all about playing as team and doing what’s best for the team.

Example: Laz using personal cloak to get up close in monster fights to use heal burst and do it often, Hank using shield gun to keep your teammates alive while fighting - there’s a finite period of time Hank should be focused on offense, Assault doing everything he can to be in-between the monster and whoever the monster is targeting, support using invisibility during fights when you see your teammates in trouble, Medics focusing on just healing while fighting. Every character has the ability to focus on your teammates and it just feels that so many people, even at level 40 and have played hours, don’t focus on keeping their teammates alive.

i play the monster but i have seen decent teams i think its just hit or miss in pubs whether or not you find good players, thankfully there are players who feel the same way about pubs, but play pubs, so there is a chance you could link up with like- minded people

It almost baffles me how some hunters just don’t do their job at all.

Laz manually revives

Val plays like COD and never heals / tranq darts

Maggie runs away from Daisy the whole game negating exactly what Daisy is there for

Markov only uses the lightning gun and never places mines or uses the AR

Hank just shoots the laser cutter while you’re screaming for a shield

It is all just baffling to me. I can’t tell if they paid attention to the hunter tutorial for those characters or not. I just assume that most of them are playing at a friends house or something, maybe it is a shared console and there is more than one person on one account. It’s a long shot, but it’s the only explanation I can give for those that just cannot play their role at all.

Maybe they should improve the AI (if that is at all possible) to help these pub matches. The amount of people going Idle and or bots I have to play with is bothersome. The AI always stops to shoot wildlife and is terrible at not taking damage from them. Markov’s bot doesn’t place mines, Maggie’s follows you and not Daisy, Val doesn’t spend enough time healing or tranqing the monster from distance, and Hank is placing orbital drops blindly and randomly.