Ideas to Improve Overall Experience in Matches

Hello! (Yay, first post :stuck_out_tongue: ) A little about me; (if not interested, skip to next paragraph) I’ve played Evolve on PS4 since release, and have been anonymously lurking around these forums on and off for at least a year… more recently to stay updated on Stage 2 while I wait :wink: Just created a forum account a couple days ago, and I’m posting because I recently had ideas that keep bugging me to share them. My first idea is my main one, and I’ll try to keep it organized and concise.

1. “Vengeance buff for hunters and Cornered buff for monsters” (this is the main idea I wanted to share) The idea here is to reduce the domino effect on hunters and complete no-strike victories, so that there can be closer matches on average without greatly impacting the actual result. The “Vengeance” buff (or whatever) would trigger when a hunter is killed, giving the other hunters a boost based on the dead team-mates class until they return. Such as Assault death = damage boost; Support death = damage resistance; Medic death = health regen increase; Trapper death = speed boost(?). There could be a slight delay in it’s activation (“shock”), so it would have minimum punishment early on, and prevent abuse by waiting for Laz revive or such) The boost would ideally help a team not utterly collapse upon one death, while still not providing the benefit of having a full team. For the monster, the “Cornered” buff would occur when the monster has either taken too much health damage, or taken a certain amount of health damage in a dome without incapping anyone, (probably the latter?), in hope to allow the monster at least a couple strikes in a losing game, and possibly bust through super defenses. The buffs, like the afore mentioned hunter buffs, could be a relatively small boost to damage, a considerable damage resist, and some speed; they would end X seconds (10-15?) after incapping a hunter, or (30?) seconds after the end of a dome to assist escape.

2. Some changes to tracking (more of a preference than necessarily needed) Make the Planet Scanner (minus speed boost) for the whole hunter team (not individually) and timer based, like the Dome. It could automatically active every x amount of time, or x amount after a dome. The Trapper could have “Instincts” (or whatever) to replace it, still giving a movement speed boost, and could also reveal nearby wild-life (or something). I think it’d help standardize the time between tracking (no perks affecting it), and increase the importance of Trapper’s tracking abilities slightly, while being more predictable for the monster.

3. Armor Channeling… from what I understand, if a monster stands still for 3 second in a dome they rapidly regenerate armor, sort of emulating revives. I see how this encourages engaging in the domes, but seems a little abuse-able… Like others I think have suggested, maybe it should have some limit per dome, such as a limit to the amount that can be channeled in one dome. Such as, if limited to half of Bob’s armor, it could still provide full armor for Wraith. (Could also be different for each monster, just an example) Again, just my opinion that I think may improve player experience :slight_smile:

4. Wraith. (Not terribly related, but having different viable monsters is good for variety :slight_smile:) Excited about the refactor, but still have concerns. (More of theory, since I haven’t played Stage 2…) Since Wraith has no way to deal with deployables, I’d like to echo the suggestion that Supernova attacks send out waves of energy that could be used to destroy deployables. (I guess then Supernova would have to be based of three attacks, rather than hits, but the damage would be the same at melee range and the waves could hit distant targets for less). The passive seems neat, but also I think can be used to hap-hazardly track Wraith, which seems somewhat counter-productive. Maybe if out of combat, it would make Wraith invisible for as long as someone was isolated and 5 seconds after; if in combat, maybe Wraith could have a damage bonus against actively isolated targets, and/or those who are actively in isolation (not just having stacks) would have a speed decrease (which would reduce lone pursuer’s ability to keep up, and make it a bit easier to focus lone hunters)… Would like to know what those with experience with refactored Wraith think of these.
    P.S. I suspect that the picture during Wraith week of the “Month of Monsters” last October was not the OG Wraith…

5. A Random dropship timer idea; (don’t take it too seriously) what if is started at 15 seconds, and got 15 seconds more per down and evolve? It kind of standardizes the increases, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Or maybe start at 20, 10 per down and 15 per evolve? Just ideas to not make evolving the main force behind timer increase. (Take it with a grain of anything, I don’t have experience with how it is now :stuck_out_tongue:)

Thanks for reading, and I’d love to know what others think of these ideas, and why/not they could work. :slight_smile:
Edited for clarity.(again) and updated idea 1.

2 Likes

I’m sorry but I haven’t read your full post. (yet) Welcome to the forums.

I don’t dislike your first idea. That’s all I read so far. It seems well thought out. I’m having trouble seeing how it could be abused so that’s a plus to it already. So it could work but it could also seriously go wrong. I wouldn’t mind seeing it considered though.

4 Likes

Big THX for comitment and in general ideas are good, not without downsides though…

Ill point out my major concerns to reconsider…

1- its often verry hard to down a hunter to begin with… not to rarely you can end up not getting anything, but i dont feel like that would make it FAIR…
The main problem here is that you want to balance 1vs4 … there is no best way for doing so… but this way is just rewarding someone a beat for bad play or lack of succes… to be honest i dont feel like that would be FUN TO PLAY AGAINST … hunters if they punish monster based on theire skill deserve to damage him and not die…
Monster who downs assault deserves less damage incom…

I would agree though that some help should be given to extremly bad situations… my sugestion is to either drop unprecise bombardement in generall monster location every now and than… something like little bit focused , less powerfull meteors that do not damage hunters)
for example if team loses 2+ domes with 2+streaks in each effect activates during next dome…
or monster gets a multiplicator to his perks for every 500hp he loses that would be around 10% increase … (and would simulate adrenalin rush)

2- i do not feel like tracking is to hard…
Daisy fucks up sneaking along with Jack, Abe and crow… forcing chaise…

Griffin and e grif are fucking up runing away

in generall… IMO… being a traper is not about dome really now… its about inteupting monster in fight…

also … orbital scaner is allready makeing it for hunters every 30sec… i guess rest is easy to make up with skill …
-predictions/ killed animals/broken flora…

3- if u were to take down armor chanel that would hit the harder, the more fragile monster is … especially sneaky monsters… like wraith or gorgon…

Imo BOB that laughs from hunters damage anyways wouldnt mind tho… ((NOT BALANCED))

4- i just did 2 full threads on her… in short… she sucks, she needs more buff love not only vs deployables…

5 - I like random dropship, but only if it would mean it can be at same time reliably do what it does … for example lets change dropship to “can ocure between”

so after beng downed firsth time youre dropship can take 5-15s (random) … and later in game instead of 60s for example from 40-80sec…

Thanks for the welcome, and reading the first idea. It was the main point of the post anyway. :slight_smile: Although I couldn’t see anything myself (partially personal bias), I agree that it could go wrong. Hard to tell without seeing/trying though.

1 Like

Realizing that it could go wrong, I don’t think you completely understood the idea (sorry if you did). I realize it can be hard to down a hunter. But the “Vengeance” boost would only activate on death (not incap), and end on his/her return. If you did kill the assault to take less damage, you still would. Even with a 15% damage boost on the remaining 3 hunters, you’ll take much less because there are still only 3 hunters; the medic still has to heal, trapper harass, and support its job. The only grey area I’m seeing right now would be concerning Laz.
Likewise in the hard to down a hunter category, the “Cornered” boost for the monster would help. If it activates, it would mean the hunters have already taken a good chunk out of the monster’s health, without even going down once. It would just help the monster lose a little less health (damage resist), get the little extra damage to push through (which would end the buff), or help it escape (movement speed).
And I do not think tracking is too hard. In fact, my suggestion was to make it more streamlined. The Planet Scanner only would go off at time intervals, unaffected by perks or Bucket. I think it would also help the monster be more aware and able to react, at least in theory.

Welcome !

I’m very found of your first idea of buffs, for each side (makes alot of sense and seems very good in theory) as well a the Wraith supernova zone effect for that critical deployable problem she faces.

The rest I guess is really open to far to much debate.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome. I guess the first idea is really the focus of the post. The Wraith section is mostly out of hope. The rest is, like you said, is very debatable, but I thought at least worth considering (could be personal bias :stuck_out_tongue:)

Yeah … if the vengence would be only if killed that would help a little, but still…

I feel like that would benefit hunters much more.(let me axplain my point ow view…)

-in early game Hunters rarely die, and IF they die you only have about 10-30 seconds until drop so it would really punish the monsterin early game by reciving more hurt even afted getting down on assault…

also in later game hunters die instantly and giving the bonus again would hit monster hard…

as u stated especially with Emet or Laz in team…

meanwhile Monster’s buff is not truely benefitial… i mean… yeah a buff in damage would be nice… exept you had youre armor taken down and you want to stay in fight as little as possible… so it wouldnt make you get more downs, but rather would encourage new players to sacrifice theire health to utilize that buff… IMO that wouldnt be a good for learning the game…
At the same time i consider this an ORGINAL idea and a one that is wroth a map-mod like overpower…
But with other name… for example … Distillery-Vengence ; )

P.S.
If u want… i wrote lot’s of stuff about Wraith balance (LINK), so i invite to help me give Devs some good ideas

I was thinking that the hunter buffs would be small, just enough to take the edge of a loss of member (not so high as 15% damage). Like you said, early on a death is rare and short-lived, so vengeance would hardly be active. A delay on it’s activation could help there (the “shock” period). Overall I think it’d help remove a little frustration for hunters when someone keeps dying, and help a little in Arena where there is no dropship; for the monster it’d discourage body-camping when there isn’t a Laz, in favor of possibly getting more strikes (not saying to ignore the downed hunter, just utilize the distraction to incap someone else, giving more strikes overall and less frustration for hunters via death).

I see what you’re saying about the cornered boost. I’d imagine the buffs to the monster would be more substantial, especially the damage resist part (even up to say, 25% [not stacking with LF]). In theory, it’d just help the monster escape with less damage from one bad fight, reducing frustration. The damage could be used to help focus someone down if they’re injured or exposed. The movement speed would help in both applying pressure and escape. As for new player’s feeling the need to engage without armor while still in a dome, wouldn’t it make the dome go down faster, thus allowing for escape? Especially if the boost lasted for a period after a down (I’ll edit that in). At the very least it could help the fight feel less one-sided.

Overall, that’s what the idea’s about. Helping fights feel less one-sided to improve the player’s experience/satisfaction from a match.
Thanks for the input. I’ll take another look at your Wraith topic.

Sorry to say that but ists bad and unbalanced allready… i mean those perks are borderline weak with massive cooldown punish … if youre useing them theres no reason to punish monster more…
they used to be OP but now they are nerfed into oblivion and i feel like allready they deserve a buff instead of another nerf

Youre logic here has a flaw : monster HP loss makes dome go down faster… the corect strategy would be not to lose hp, run, hide, regen armor / eat…

What you sugested would push people to fight in worst case scenario - enemy team is good, armor is down, Hp loss is allready inflicted… that would just make new players yes get out of dome faster… but with much greater health loss than if they armor channel or eat or run away…

Therefore… i consider it wroth only to be a game mode like overpowered

P.S.
Im not trying to be an ass about it… i just really would feel bad if game would encourage unbalance and bad playstyle in generall (with monster )

It may not be a perfect idea, but it’s one of the only I’ve seen to help provide a better player experience… (besides the obvious bug fixing and match-making points). Armor channeling after being cornered would not remove it, but you’d be able to come back stronger for the second scrap. The 25% example was for damage reduction only, and would not stack with Living Fortress (Bob), can’t say if it should stack with perk choice or not. There are a couple strategies you could go with; playing it safe trying not to lose health, or alternatively accept some damage and then get armor. Experienced players can do what they think is best, while new players feel like they’re competing.

Sorry… i am tired… thought u were talking about Lethal Force… (dunno why)

anyways… if it wouldnt stack with BOB fortress that would be unfair…

Imo it both should stack and BOB deserves a nerf/rework, because his armor, hp and 60% damage reduction makes him imposible to kill with some combos of hunters… especially without torvald/Parnell

BOB is now anoying monster whitch suck at high level, stomps low level and crushes arena… IMO he deserves a passive that does not punish the team for being good with 60 % damage nerf… he deserves tho to cast abilities about 10-20% faster but his fissure shouldnt catch people 20 damn meters in air…

It’s fine. Anyway, Bob’s passive is another topic… Just for intents and purposes, the 25% shouldn’t stack on top of his LF, but could serve as a baseline still. (25% until/when LF is higher). Bob could very likely use some work… but again that’s a different topic. :slight_smile:
(Btw, the armor channeling suggestion was in part an effort to prevent its abuse in arena by certain monsters, ect.)

Armor chanel WAS good…

now you need about 5 seconds to start than about 2secs/bar its not being able to be abused because of how long you would need to sit still…

What monster can sit that way?

Everyone but BOB gorgon and wraith needs to stay in fight because they are unable to leave battlefield efectivly

Ill skip BOB because his feed speed + wall is a material for whole new debate… so im not gonna refer to that unbalanced shit

Gorgon’s armor regen is low, therefore she is not able to abuse it effectivly, especially if u think of how many ways hunters have to find you… especially in small dome…

Wraith on the other hand used to exploit that mechanic its true,… but it was because it was only way to win something… Wraith is borderline weak… she deserved every bar she was able to restore because she has so little armor and hunters if they are not brain dead were able to find her in matter of seconds anyway…
now shes even more unable to armor channel because of whisper bullshit that tracks you down… ULTIMATE ANTYSNEAK … IMO they broke her more than she was

only way it can be worse is to get louder when u close to her… though im not sure if that didnt happened allready…

<<not trying to sound bad, just i really feal for wraith as her’s ex main… because she is terrible trash now… : / >>

Wasn’t aware they increased the time for channel. If they did limit it though, they could revert the time it takes to start (to 3 seconds?), possibly making it more reliable, consistent, and less abusable. I did reply on your topic on Wraith.

sorry… you right… it is 3 secs (checked) … still in game… i hadnt had more than 2 or 3 games i was able to pull off armor regen… it is hard to do… especially against higher lvl of play…

the main problem is being unable to create distance without making tracks so they can see you all the time, and if not… there is 1 or w ways you could go… teams of 2 are breaking channel usefullness…

IMO armor should channel verry slow all the time and after few seconds of not taking damage /standing still should be increased to todays speed… that way if you would be able to break line of sight even for those 4 seconds while runing you would still had something… and in fights it wouldnt get in the way because it would be really little amounts of armor… how about that…

(BTW thx for coment and ideas… keep on good work ; )

I think I get what you’re saying. In an effort to make it consistent, how about:

1. limit it to a per dome basis- only so much armor may be channeled in one dome. To compensate for the limit
  2. the countdown starts when not taking damage…you can start channeling right after standing still.

Just an idea… can only really tell if it’s bad if it was tested. :slight_smile:

i disagree … that would hurt players (the limit…)
but i cant come up now with alternative (will think about it)

No offense to Adam, (he brought up some good points), but I’d love to hear input from others, especially on the main topic (1). Probably just ignore number 5, it isn’t really thought out. Just hoping for more discussion :slight_smile: