I have had this idea a while back, though now, with 4 ability points at Stage 1 and a perk overhaul teased, I think that it may be a nice alternative to the current system.
With Hunt 2.0 as it is now, there are certain problems. One is the imbalance of certain characters vs certain others (Lennox vs Kraken, Slim vs Behemoth etc). Due to the blind picking, you may end up in a game where you are at a big distadvantage to begin with. Some people like it that way, others don’t. But in any case it would take a long time to balance this out perfectly.
The second problem I see, is that there already is some sort of counter picking on the Hunter’s side: They recognize their opponent’s name or badge and now what they will most likely pick.
What I have in mind is the following:
- While getting into the Monster’s queue, the Monster already picks his character which then can not be changed until they quit the queue
- The Monster also picks the Map that the next match will be played on
- A Kraken main may want to avoid Broken Hill Mine, while a Behemoth main may want to play on it exclusively
- It is actually more lore friendly if the Monster picks the location of its attack
- It’s like “bro, come at me. We fight in MY domain!”
- During character select, everybody can see which character the others pick, just like in observer mode
- Hunters pick as usual while seeing the Monster already, though have about 15 seconds less to do so
- The Monster however can’t change his character, only skins
- Since the Monsters can see the Hunters’ picks, they can adapt with their 4 skill points and their perk
- For example against a Markov, a Goliath player may want to pick 2 into Flame Breath to clear the mines faster
- A Behemoth may reconsider putting any points into Rock Wall at Stage 1 if he faces a Cabot
- The Monster has about 15 seconds more than the Hunters to avoid last-second picks on the Hunters’ side
Not enough rebalance of the Monster? How about every map has bad weather? Or another effect that benefits the Monster.
Once there is at least 1 adaptation for each Monster, you may even change the adaption, though the Monster would have to stay the same.