Hellboy (2019)

I’m super hyped for this movie, the first trailer was ok, but the second one increased my expectations. One of the reasons why I’m very excited is because one of my favorite actresses, Milla Jovovich, is playing the villain.

I really want this movie to be good! The Rotten Tomatoes score will be shown tomorrow.

7 Likes

I was worried until I saw Bebop join the fray. I’m excited. As much as I regret no 3rd installment of the OG Hellboy series, I hope this one does well.

3 Likes

I do too, the visuals are sooooo good!

2 Likes

Visuals, nostalgia, characters and story look promising and I will be seeing it Saturday most likely

1 Like

I avoid trailers, so haven’t watched any of them for Hellboy, but the stills and everything I’ve seen seem to show something that is stylistically much closer to the source material?

1 Like

That would be extremely hard, being that the source (comics) is so cartoony. They’re more realistic than that. Kinda like the first movies, but they look better.

At least, that’s what I can glean from the trailers.

The movie is also rated R instead of PG-13, which pleases me because some of the OG comics were bloody.

1 Like

Anyone know why they decided to reboot it so soon, instead of a 3rd film? Haven’t followed the news.

0 Likes

You know it’s been 10 years since Golden Army, right? It’s been a hot minute and the actors have gotten much older.

I also imagine they wanna rebrand to a more action oriented thing, perhaps closer to what Hellboy was supposed to be.

3 Likes

According to the wiki page on the film:

The project began as a sequel to Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008), with Mignola and Cosby writing the script. Guillermo del Toro was not offered the full writer-director capacity he had performed in the first two films, and Ron Perlman, who portrayed Hellboy, refused to return without del Toro’s involvement. The project was turned into an R-rated reboot after Marshall was hired as the director and Harbour cast as Hellboy.

3 Likes

That’s not a huge time when we’re talking about films. The original was only 15 years ago. I mean, Planet of the apes had 30 years between the original and it’s reboot. King Kong had around 30ish years between each reboot. Karate Kid’s reboot (albeit into a show form) also took 30s.

There’s nothing wrong with it, per se, it’s just very unusual for me, being only in my late teens, to see a reboot for a film which was released in my life time. Not to say that it’s never been this short of a time for a reboot, but this is the shortest one that has come to my attention.

2 Likes

Peter Jackson’s King Kong and Skull Island would like a word (I know I know, not the same story but still, new Kong)

2 Likes

Then there’s also old and new Jumanji, two Jungle Book reboots (the Disney and Netflix versions), Spiderman Reboots, Batman Reboots, Mummy reboots, Tomb Raider reboot, etc

I can go on if need be :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Please do, please10

1 Like

But there are very considerable periods of time between original films and their reboots. That was my point. 30 years for a Spider man reboot. Similar for Jungle book etc. Spin-offs, adaptations and sequels aren’t reboots. Granted, the fact that Tomb Raider was also an early reboot had escaped me.

1 Like

Hang on what? 30 years for a Spider-man reboot? We’ve had 3 different Peter Parkers since the early 2000s. Batman in the same boat.
But also, this doesn’t have much to do with Hellboy anymore. What does everyone think the critic opinion will be? Highly critical of it and hate it or surprised and actually like it?

1 Like

Me reading early reviews: image
I’m still seen it and making my own opinion, but I definitely lowered my expectations.

2 Likes

Que? What am I missing?

1 Like

Search Hellboy review on Twitter, it’s just sad. :sob:

edit: 9% on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment.

1 Like

I hate bs review bombs.

1 Like

Yeah, most of these reviews are incredibly hyperbolic and dramatic. (They need the clicks after all)

1 Like