Guy seeing colours properly for the first time

A friend of a friend posted this on Facebook, has cheered my day right up!

Tagging @LadieAuPair because I think she’ll like this :smiley:

And that’s when he realized he absolutely hated the decoration in his house.

I admit, I got a bit choked up when he did. I can’t imagine how overwhelming that would be.

Yep, it’s a fairly emotional thing to watch I think!

So I take it he was colourblind? Anyone know what type, and how he was able to see colours properly?

They’re the Enchroma glasses that have been talked about on these forums before.

This was absolutely amazing to watch. Thanks so much for sharing @niaccurshi !!

Best part… “LOOK AT THE COW MAN!”

What a beautiful reaction!! :smile:

Did you ever see the vids I posted way back in July? Those were pretty great, too.
It’s crazy how just being able to see a color can make someone so emotional, something that about everyone else in the world takes for granted every day.

This stuff is purely amazing. Like magic! I still have no idea how those optics work, but I am so glad things like this exist.

I just wish more people were aware this exists. I have told many people in the eye care profession and nobody ever heard of them. Somebody on TV needs to cause videos like this one to go viral just so more people find out about it.

As the resident eyecare professional around here, I’ll give my input.

Enchroma is a cool product for those who have color deficiency. I don’t believe they are available in prescription lenses yet, at least I haven’t run into them from any of my vendors (I own a small optical shop with my solo Optometry practice). They work by filtering out part of the visible spectrum to make the contrast between colors more obvious. It’s not the first product to do so. A few years ago, Nike partnered with a contact lens company to make tinted contact lenses to increase contrast for certain sports situations, but they have since been discontinued. There have been other contact lenses on and off the market over the years which are designed to help change the contrast from one eye to the other to change and enhance color perception, which do help in certain situations, just like Enchroma. Certain tints on glasses help increase contrast in certain lighting situations and environments.

In the end, the individual, usually a male (due to variations on his X chromosome, inherited from his mom), is still color deficient as they have a defect in one or more of their cone photopigments, and is still unable to see color the way everyone else does. But, with filters, is able to distinguish subtle differences between them to differentiate them more efficiently.

Color perception and deficiency is a hugely complex topic. We had a 3 month class in Optometry school called “Color Vision,” and in that time, I’m certain we didn’t cover everything. Glad there are products out there to help, and I’m thankful Turtle Rock added the color deficient modes to Evolve since i’m a deuteranomolous trichromat, myself.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.