Griffin's harpoon

I play as griffin almost every time I play trapper and something has been bugging me about his harpoons. Even if I’m behind kraken, wraith, or behemoth their traversals still let them gain ground. Goliath can only gain ground through a charge and it is very frustrating in combat. I try to keep the monster pinned for a few seconds so that my team can move but the monster can still gain enough ground to hit them.
I would love to see something done about this because it is very frustrating, my first thought is have his harpoons pull the monster towards him, but nothing insane just a slow pull so that the monster has more of an incentive to destroy the poon. And if not that make it so that the monster can’t gain ground at all in the opposite direction

there are only 2 monsters who can gain ground while on the harpoon and those are behemoth and wraith the others are stoped dead in their tracks

with kraken you were most likely in the air and the harpoons dont work there…

i dont know why wraiths traversal is cut only 50% but shes kinda slow atm so its okay
and behemoth needs another buff against griff poons, it is literally impossible to escape now.

Alright, goliath gets stopped and it’s ok.

Kraken, also gets stopped. Imo you can pretty much ignore the tiny bit the kraken gets forward with his traversal. And if you walk backwards you can even pull the kraken towards you a little bit.

Behemoth already has the slowest walk speed and also the slowest melee animation. If Griffins harpoons would totally stop him, then he had no chance at all to escape him. It slows behemoth enough to annoy him and your assault can keep up with his jetpack and deal damage. Imo it’s ok the way it is with behemoth now.

Wraith. She’s the only monster that could use some work regarding harpoons. She can pretty much ignore Griffin as long as she doesn’t try to warp blast into a hunter 100 meters away. As far as I know the harpoon cuts the distance of her abilities in half, but in combat, if you look at the range of abduction or warpblast or even the traversal, then cutting that in half still is more than enough for a good monster. On the other hand the wraith is already pretty weak in combat and I don’t think she deserves another nerf.

Tldr: The harpoon works well on most monsters and is mostly balanced. No urgent changes needed imo. Griffin is also my main trapper.

4 Likes

griffin the worst of all the trappers though abe is the best i’d say then crow maggie i would say even with crow

I like griffin against wraith, if you do it right you can grab her mid abduction or warp last and it feels awesome

1 Like

@Bryan_Butters_Gilmer You have to be on the ground I think to be able to stop them, if you’re in the air they can still gain ground.

@AlbinoGoliath Griffin is one of the best Trappers in a chase, not the best overall but if its a Monster trying to get away Griffin is by far the best. Crow is one of the worst. IMO it goes like this:

In terms of Tracking:
:trapper: Maggie :trapper:
:trapper: Griffin :trapper:
:trapper: Abe :trapper:
:trapper: Crow :trapper:

In terms of damage:

In terms of slows

In terms of chasing

However in my opinion, overall the Trappers go in order of:

I don’t know. My team played with a random Trapper yesterday who played a pretty Godly Griffin. If the monster tried to do just about anything Griffin would have a harpoon in his back. Hell, he tried to focus Griffin down at one point only for Sunny to boost him out of there and have the monster turn his attention to her, the second that happened he went right back to having harpoons in his back. The guy couldn’t move around long enough to do anything. An on-the-ball Griffin can definitely keep the monster from moving around pretty brutally.

1 Like

No-one is better in a fight at controlling and annoying the monster, assuming the team can defend him and he has good jetpack management, than Griffin. Against Goliath and wraith he’s the biggest pain in the arse, even Behemoth he’s frustrating against (though lack of need of Behemoth to move weakens him a bit). Kraken is a bit different, but that’s Kraken for you.

the thing is that kraken shouldnt be able to just fly backwards waiting for harpoon or going out of range. Really hurts griffin.

Griffin is one of the best trappers to have in combat and during chase, but he require a good aim so he is often replaced by Maggie to get around this. Abe and Crow are awesome for their damage, though, so in compositions that don’t need power CC because of it’s already strong defense(Hank and Caira) might trade it for extra damage.

Spending a LOT of time with the Trappers, I believe the opposite. Though Abe seemed amazing when I first used him. Now he seems lackluster for everything except the “hold the dome” strategy.

closed #12

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.