Godzilla King of Monsters Spoilery Discussion

Wanted to add this in case anyone wants to discuss. I know a few people on the boards here were interested in it. I went to see it with my brother and I’m not the biggest Godzilla fan so I don’t know much about the easter eggs or how much they stuck to canon, but overall it was an above average film for me. This could be because I went in with little expectation because the 2014 movie was just… not good at all.

The human element was better this time but still too much focus. The monster scenes were better though they could have been focused on more. The ‘humans are destroying the world and need to be destroyed’ felt a little flat and cliche, but it was ok. Much better than 2014 but I though it was a decent movie. Anyway, have at the discussion as needed.

I don’t know if the city underwater was supposed to be Atlantis or something but that felt a little disjointed. Same with the whole vortex tunneling that allowed Godzilla to teleport. Like I said, not a big enough Godzilla fan to know if this was something established before, or just put in to explain why he can be somewhere else in the world really quickly? Also, did we just destroy his regeneration spot? The biggest complaint I had was that the main character was just ‘super good at everything’. He was smarter thant he scientists, more actiony than the military, and more strategic than the generals. Yawn.

I think them exoding the nuke in his home shouldn’t affect much. It’s basically just leaking radiation from the earth’s core right? An explosion shouldn’t stop the radiation.

I wasn’t sure if it was because it was too close to the earth’s core or something that was ‘there’. But that could be it.

I also could be wrong but I just inferred it, judging by the magma and what now.

The vortex thing was from the last Kong movie, it was a theory one of the scientists had. Basically it would have allowed giant creatures to move about unseen by humanity.

I didn’t see Skull Island, so would that mean all monsters used it, even flyers/kong (In theory)?

It means that some of them could use it, but I think most of them have been in hibernation for the last few thousand years. I am sure the flyers could use it if they could swim since most would be under water.

Basically the idea was that there is a Hollow Earth, where there are passageways you can take that would give you a shortcut from place to place. It is how Godzilla could go from say, the middle of the Pacific to the Atlantic.
Also saw the movie just now, I thought it was pretty good. I’m a big Godzilla fan so I’m ok with lacking human plots, but this one wasn’t half bad. I don’t know where people are coming from when they say it was actively bored them or was super bad. It was ok, not groundbreaking or super fan servicey but it does the job. The monster scenes though, my goodness did they pump me up. The Godzilla march continues to be excellent, the fighting was excellent, the new Kaiju designs were nice modern updates, and in general I liked it.
Tl;dR; Huge Godzilla fan liked the movie, go figure

3 Likes

In the first movie they explain that Godzilla and most of the titans were around when the Earth was more radioactive. The radioactivity is an energy source and was a big plot point for the MUTOs in the first film. He was also awoken by the Bikini Atoll nuclear testing so he is going to be attracted to radiation anyway, and when Monarch originally tried to kill him the nukes had no negative effects so they theorized that a nuke would kick-start the regeneration that would take years.

As for the main character, it was a stretch for him to be that good at everything. He should have, as an animal behaviorist and co-creator of ORCA, been able to discern the patterns of how Godzilla and the other Titans were behaving, but everything else was silly. I would have liked to see them give that Colonel some more power, having her make the military moves after being advised and seeing the scientist was correct. After about the third "I told you so" scenario you would think they’d have figured it out.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Big monsters getting all smashy = :metal:

My kiddo and I enjoyed the film. The human element was pretty dumb, but I didn’t care cause monster + smashing.

5 Likes

I was seriously not expecting to hear this at the end of the movie, but it’s honestly almost perfect (the Godzilla March theme is already perfection)

3 Likes

I do want to say that I thought the audio was absolutely on point. I especially enjoyed the overdone Whomp Whomp Whomp spin up when he became super zilla towards the end. Also, the ending song totally made me want to go back to play Guitar Hero 1 again :wink:

1 Like

Omg yes, all the sound was absolutely amazing! All the bass!

2 Likes

This was about the only part of the movie that really bothered me. There were like three different scenes where I actively thought, what is he standing on?

2 Likes

It’s just kind of what Godzilla does sometimes. No one really knows how or why

1 Like

I felt it needed…more monster fighting tbh. I liked it overall, but I really wanted a bit more action and I’m confused why I feel that way. It certainly was long enough of a movie but I really wanted to see more. More of Mothra, Rhodan, Ghidora and Godzilla. I felt it just wasn’t enough.

1 Like

@GoGoGoliath @BearStream

1 Like

5 Likes

Too cute. :yum:

2 Likes