Give Me Some Advice?

I was hoping someone here would be able to help point me in the right direction regarding traveling. I’m nineteen, and I want to travel to a few different countries and experience the world through the eyes of different cultures before I get locked down with obligations and a family. I also want to go to college. So I’m… not really sure what to do first.

well first it depends on what you want to do with your life. want a job that doesn’t pay minimum wage? probably should go to college. If you have the money to travel, its a good investment, but you need to have enough left over to support yourself. don’t blow 10,000 dollars on a trip to Italy for 2 weeks if you’re gonna come back and barely have enough for food and gas. you’re 19, so you cant really experience a well rounded trip until at least 21. id say, go to college, get a degree, and once you get out and land a steady job, use vacation days to plan a trip. nothing in this world is free unfortunately and this is probably the best course of action.

The thing I’m most apprehensive about is the debt. I am worried that if I go to college first, I’ll get bogged down trying to pay student loans and won’t be able to afford to travel.

Think of it like this, you’ll probably end up paying the same amount of money traveling as college. on one hand, you’re paying more for a garunteed future of decent living at least, where as the other, you’re paying substantially less, but you won’t make as much later on.
You need to decide what is more valuable. A secured future, or a week or two of personal enjoyment. I’d decide college and when you pay off your debt(and you will, trust me) you can travel all you like. A well paying job is probably the most important thing if you want to treat yourself every now and again, so hold off on the travels and work towards your future stability.

(Everyone has debt, yet they still spend money on other things. You don’t need to pay back student loans all at once and you can travel even with debt. Just gotta manage your money and time and you’ll be fine, I promise :grin::+1:)

That makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really do appreciate it

No problem man. If people have doubts about college, I always swoop in to advocate for it. It’s a fun but challenging life experience that really puts you into the adult world. It’s tough with the work and all, but it’s definitely worth it in the long run. Not to mention the new people you’ll meet and fun you’ll have with roommates and such. It does take a lot of planning however, and it’s not the best time to start, as the fall semester is right around the corner and there wouldn’t be enough time to go through the process. I’m not sure exactly, but I think you can start next spring semester and go from there. Good luck dude, hope it works well for you.