Games coming out with bugs

I’m gonna to talk out of my butt here, but bear with me. A lot of people talk about how companies are screwing gamers because games come out with lots of bugs, and remeniss about the old days when games came out working great. But are they asking too much? Games have gotten so complicated. The tech is advancing so fast. Is making a game close to bug free at launch possible anymore? Think about it, if they spend too long working out all the kinks the technology advances far enough to where new kinks are created. I don’t know. I’m too tired to be making proper threads, but I wanna hear what you guys have to say about this.

This. I don’t think we can expect bug-free launches anymore, unfortunately. Games have become extremely complex, and with so much in them it’s impossible not to have kinks.

It is interesting, because even with as much alpha and beta testing and stress testing as Evolve had before launch, it still has kinks. I think it’s just impossible to adequately simulate a full-on, worldwide game launch and its corresponding stress on servers.

With games increasing in size… once 2-5 gigs, then 8-12 now upwards of 40 gigs, they is more data that could go wrong.

Yeah I agree that it might be impossible to expect a game to be completely bug free as games grow in size and complexity. Plus, in a networked game you have have that complexity syncing on the client side and server side. That is not fun ><

However, I also feel like older games had plenty of bugs but most of them either weren’t as noticeable or didn’t feel as game breaking. I’d like to think it’s because it was easier to test the core routes players would take with the game.

Finally, is it just me or has the attitude toward bugs been shifting as of late. I feel like more people used to tolerate bugs and even found them kind of funny sometimes. It feels as though people are starting to get angrier about them cropping up nowadays. That might be just perception though due to the recent glut of games with bugs that seem to be interrupting the core experience of the game (i.e. quantity of them in Unity, Halo Matchmaking, etc.)

People have some rose coloured glasses as far as history goes. 10 years ago I was playing games with a buttload of bugs. Knights of the Old Republic, City of Heroes, Evil Genius, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines… that’s just a few examples from the top of my head.

People are less forgiving of them now. I don’t know that I can blame them… it’s certainly not wrong to want something that works… but to say that this is a new problem is… shortsighted.