Free online on ps4?

Well well… I’m very enthusiastic about (hopefully) buying Evolve on ps4 this Fall…

…And then I’ve remembered something : online requires a playstation Plus account now. (which is not free…)

However, not all games are actually concerned !
So my question was, will Evolve require a playstation Plus account to play online ?

(I understand that’s more a question for 2K… but maybe someone already has the answer here?)

In almost all cases, a PlayStation Plus account is needed to play online multiplayer on the PS4™.

If a PS Plus member registers a PlayStation 4 as their “primary” system, anyone who uses that system has the ability to play online multiplayer, regardless of whether or not they are PS Plus members. Additionally, as many as four players can simultaneously play online on the same console, even if they don’t subscribe to PlayStation Plus.

Click here for additional details on sharing a primary PS4. (Coming Soon)

More information on PlayStation Plus, including how to subscribe, can be found here.

Exceptions

Free-to-play games are exempt from this requirement and can be played online with no PS Plus subscription. Examples of games that fall into this category are: Blacklight Retribution, DC Universe Online, and War Frame.

copy/pasted 2 week old PS4 Online Multiplayer Reqs and Exceptions.

Edit: it doesn’t specify any future games, but unless they change the part that says “free to play” and add Evolve specifically, which is doubtful, it looks like a PS Plus account is required.

Edit 2: I was gonna put the link in the first edit… https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5060/~/ps4-online-multiplayer-requirements

Yeah I’m pretty sure the only PS4 multiplayer games that do NOT require PS+ to play online are F2P ones, so Evolve would require PS+ for online multiplayer.

It actually only depends on the editor’s decision… and to be honest, Evolve is the only game I would like to play online on next gen for now !

I can’t say I blame you, though I have found myself to be having actual fun at Battlefield 4 le gasp on my PS4. I just wish they didn’t switch into the P2P PlayStation accounts.

I’m not too fond of the change either, but weren’t PS3 servers pretty unstable due to no subscription support? I would assume the money would go to server security and stablility, but I might be wrong. Still, if it can prevent my account from being hacked or maintenance to be done faster, I’m willing to pay £40 a year for it ^^

I’m not sure why Evolve wouldn’t require a PSN premium account considering it’s - as far as Sony are concerned - it’s just another online game. What would make Evolve the exception, if not the rule?

I’ve read somewhere that all Sony games require a PS+ account, and for other editor’s games it depends on their own willing.

…yeah, considering it’s a willing of “will we earn more money?” …there’s pretty much no hope.

But you know, being the only GREAT online game which doesn’t require a paying account would be another advantage for Evolve !

I really doubt it. Considering that this game is focusing heavily on the multiplayer side of things, It’ll probably require a subscription.