Flee Til 3: Evasion in and out of dome until fully staged and armored

Monster Tactics 101:

1. Eat until Stage 3 + Full Armor
  2. If domed before that point, proceed to Step 3, otherwise Step 4
  3. While domed, use boosted stamina and speed to avoid Hunters. Minimize your time in line of sight with them and use terrain to keep sight lines broken. Your “in-battle” stamina regeneration should allow you to keep in perpetual movement, preventing you from being a sitting target and make shots harder to land on you. The amount of jetpack fuel that Hunters have to utilize just to climb walls makes for elevation changes as an ideal location to sit and hide. Bide your time, and if need be, utilize attacks like Banshee Mines, Vortex, Charge and Decoy to keep Hunters from getting to the same plane as you. Do this until dome expires, then flee the area. Goto Step 1.
  4. Wipe the Hunter team now that the balance of power is in your favor. Let them enjoy the fact they spend 20+ minutes of their time chasing you around the map only to have gameplay mechanics keep them, from success.

I’ll be damned if a good 85% of the battles at my current level aren’t like this. And I don’t blame the Monster; it’s tactically sound, and ensures maximum chance to succeed. But man,when people find this process out, they latch onto it and repeat it ad infinitum. Predictable, but very very boring. Sometimes I go play solo, just because the monster actually engages during a dome, lol. :confused:

What system do you play on?

PC here. At level 26 currently.

I have been seeing it more frequently on xbox one but still get a few that engage in domes or get matched up with hunters that are good about engaging while domed. The good hunters one is less frequent though.

[quote=“AegisKleais, post:1, topic:36991”]
While domed, use boosted stamina and speed to avoid Hunters. Minimize your time in line of sight with them and use terrain to keep sight lines broken. Your “in-battle” stamina regeneration should allow you to keep in perpetual movement, preventing you from being a sitting target and make shots harder to land on you. Do this until dome expires, then flee the area. Goto Step 1.
[/quote]this is where the Trapper needs to step in. Either they domed in a poor place (favours the monsters tactics), or they need to be anticipating it’s movement and restricting it with harpoons or 'nades (Val’s tranqs too).

Getting some form of tracking down will help too (dust / darts / sound spike / UAV). Keep up comms to coordinate movement and abilities.

Agreed, but in ideal circumstances.

Even if dusted, the monster knows where the Hunters are at all times regardless, and can move to put more space between them and break line of sight. The slowing effects don’t affect his stamina movement, and that recharges while “in battle”. Kraken less so, only because his burst movement isn’t as diorientating or effective as the other Monsters.

I’m calling this the “FLEE TIL 3” tactic.

This is an extremely popular tactic on Xbone as well.

A sad boring truth.

I play on the Xbox and I’ll let you know that if I’m at Stage 1 (got caught early) I’ll do that but if I have some armor I go for those strikes.

Sadly this is a problem to the point where my friends that are bad at trappers don’t want to play as them. They don’t understand how to control the field. I am left to always to play the trapper, because I am the only one out of the group that is sort of good at it.

This tactic is very easily countered with communication.

I’m level 22 and I loathe this style of play. While it may work in plenty of games since most hunters haven’t learned how to cope with it yet, I refuse to use it.

I’ve got no problems winning at stage 2 and am often disappointed when I evolve to S2 without a fight because the hunters are on the other end of the map. Using the environment and catching hunters off guard is the only way to win against good teams, but sadly those are hard to find so “FLEE TIL 3” is rather prevalent these days.

Its actually really hard to do this if you’re playing against decent players/not using wraith

I’m a pretty decent monster player and when I go up against competitive teams they almost always find me before I can evolve to stage 2 and force a fight, then they’re right on your ass till the end.

How do you expect a Stage 1 Monster to fully go against the team of Hunters when his health pool is low without sufficient armor in the first place. Only idiots do that and that is why they ultimately lose the game due to losing too much permanent health bars.

It’s either you try to predict what the Monster or where the Monster would go/hide then follow accordingly (eg. harpoon traps or hyde’s toxic bomb or hank’s orbital barrrage).

I don’t often see people complaining about Monsters playing smart at Stage 1 when domed inside but when they do, they’re just upset they have no leverage over a player with a predator’s mindset.

I’ll take my chances. To date, the vast majority of “teams” I play against are a random assortment of players, not actual communicating and coordinating “teams”. So the potency of the tactic still seems very effective. Not that any 1 particular tactic will ever work in all instances. But the stats are heavily on its favor.

@RYANB - To my knowledge, this isn’t really about bad monsters vs. good hunters. It’s about good monsters who are smart enough to utilize their quick-regen stamina during battle in the event they get domed to simply avoid confrontation for the duration, and then escape off to continue to evolve. I’m sure that there’s a fair share of bad monsters who cannot employ that tactic, and get killed off by seasoned Hunters. Seems a legit kill IMO.

I think this strat only works with Goliath and Kraken, with Wraith on Stage 3 you actually have an disadvantage, since if the hunters are defending the generator with all kinds of traps (mines, slow grenades, bucket’s sentries etc) you have a really hard time to kill them. But that also kinda depends on the maps, some are more forgiving than the others in terms of generator location.

Yeah I agree in a public game this strat is almost always effective

Every once in awhile you get a Maggie that’s crazy good at using daisy and they’ll find you but for the most part you can just do whatever you want in those games… usually I can recognize that they aren’t great at hunting and will go finish it at stage 2 though

Gotta lol at people calling this a boring tactic vs simply being sound play. I know hunters would rather a monster stay in plain sight while domed where they can do consistent damage which makes no sense to the monster.

I personally only use this once I face check a team at S2. If I think it’s an even battle, or I can tell I’m going to crush them, I’ll go for S2 finish, win/lose, I don’t really care…I’m playing for fun.

If it’s a Team that I can tell is good, or has been on my tail the whole game, then yes…I’m all about Flee Till 3.

Not sound at all. It’s actually amateurish.

Top level monsters decide where the dome engagements take place and use the dome period to wrack up strikes on key targets.

Lvl 3 monster against hunters with no strikes has not done his job right.

Rushing to level 3 and not knowing what team you’re playing against leaves you uninformed for the stage 3 showdown.

But as mentioned in this thread, it is effective versus unorganized hunters.

I agree rushing to stage 3 is amateurish. I was more referring to using the terrain to your advantage while domed to break line of sight. Cant really fault the monster for doing that at all.